OGXbox.com

Sata/Ide Adapter

wikati

SO!!!

I am frustrated.

I had been using the cheapo sata/pata converters (ordered several on reports that the odd one may fail), the first xbox i had worked fairly good for a number of months on one and seemed fine. Just recently a second Xbox found its way into my basement... the adapter didnt work well so i expressed this to the seller and i got new ones.

Now... This is where it hits the fan. The next one fried an HDD, it went together powered up and the drive started to SMOKE!!! The motor ic chip on the PCB of the drive MELTED, i had just taken it out of a functioning desktop!!!

OK, so on closer inspection of the other replacements are LOADED With corrosion!! The CAPS have let go aeons ago!!! the firsts sata connector crumbled when removed from the smoking drive (likely what caused the short) but looking at them they have corrosion all over the place

Firstly i need to open facepalm myself till the cows come home for not inspecting these with a fine tooth comb p[rior to install, but christ.. i am the end consumer!!!

Secondly.. WHAT THE HELL!!!>!>>!> Im out a drive and am probably entitled to a whole whack more of these bastards... id rather just go out and blast the rest of my HDD's with buckshot to celebrate new years!!

so now im going from a 7$ solution up to the 32$ startech solution??? Is there no in between?

HUGE DISCLAIMER HERE, THOSE GREEN PCB SATA PATA ADAPTERS.... FUCK IT, i got them from hottestdealsever on both amazon and ebay, they SUCK MEGA DONG and trust me, there is a real threat to losing a drive here, all you guys with big expensive drives heed my warning, these are really really bad. you would never think that the caps were blown out and the thing was this big of a mess. UNBELIEVABLE.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? any way to fix these up or are they just poor by design?

One problem with these adapters is the exposed power connector pads on the back side.  They can easily touch the HDD case and short out.  Best to cover them with electrical tape or another insulating material like a conformal coating spray, etc. to prevent unwanted contact.

Edited by KaosEngineer

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

One problem with these adapters is the exposed power connector pads on the back side.  They can easily touch the HDD case and short out.  Best to cover them with electrical tape or another insulating material like a conformal coating spray, etc. to prevent unwanted contact.

also learned that the hard way.
have you use many of these with success? any ideas on other adapters?

13 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Startech IDE2SAT2, HDE IDE-to-SATA at Amazon, cheaper in 2 packs, looks like the one you've shown, and KingWin ADP-06. (master only operation) and, Sabrent  SBT-STDB to name a few.

2TB SATA Upgrade Tutorial  at xbmc4xbox.org.uk

great stuff as always, thank you for an always well referenced CLEAR answer.

• 4 months later...

I have a few of those adapters knocking around none of which seemed to work on any Xbox I own.

I always cover the power solder points as this is very badly designed and really shouldnt have been left like that by the manufacturers.

That said the Startec ones do the job.

22 minutes ago, big F said:

I have a few of those adapters knocking around none of which seemed to work on any Xbox I own.

I always cover the power solder points as this is very badly designed and really shouldnt have been left like that by the manufacturers.

That said the Startec ones do the job.

Which adapter didn't work?

when they come direct from china they are just in bags and not in HDE packaging they are clean and looking much better than these. just saying. the ones coming direct from the source are much better. identical board layout to these tho, so they may be the same bad caps. i dont know. i have 2 and they have shown no problems.
HDE treated me like an idiot on request for refund, they generally sell crap anyways, but i learned that the hard way.

my theory is HDE ordered a ton of these things aeons ago and has just been sitting on them. so i'd assume all these green boards with those caps are ticking time bombs.... assume is key word.

you have to wait for the chinese ones but if you are severely restricted to budget i can recommend and confirm they are alot better.

otherwise just buy startech.

What's weird is that, until recently, the HDE ones were the recommended ones and I was always seeing people say to stay away from StarTech, so I always used HDE.

I have bought quite a few HDEs because of this and have never had a problem with them, except for one that arrived dead. Though I have always had to slap some electrical tape on the HDD to avoid the connector short out that KaosEngineeer mentioned.

However, due to some more recent concerns that have been popping up, I won't be using these anymore and will start using the StarTech one from now on for any future Xboxes I acquire.

On 5 June 2018 at 9:29 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Which adapter didn't work?

Mine are the same as the pictures minus the explody caps.

The theory of HDE stitting on a ton of these for years would fit. All us old computer/console owners know all about the sub par caps that were used back in the day.

Over the years I have replaced ones in Vintage calculators and Amigas as well as Xboxes and random electronic stuff.

Thankfully the modern metal ones are much better.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...