OGXbox.com

Eeprom Protection In V1.6 XBox

alasdairc

Hi,

I'm struggling to read the eeprom of a Crystal 1.6 xbox. Was sold as faulty, hard drive clicking, decided was worth the gamle so bought it as I wanted to replace the hard drive anyway.

I have some Alladin XTs coming in the post to longterm this will be hard modded, however I'd really like to find out/change the HDD key from the eeprom and start building a new drive for it.

I'm using  https://github.com/Ryzee119/ArduinoProm in ordre to read the eeprom.bin file.

I've read multiple people talking about how on the 1.6 there is some sort of protection which makes it harder to perform a read operation, but can someone explain exactly that this is and how to bypass it? I'm able to scan the I2C bus using my cable + Arduoino Nano, so I'm pretty confident the issue is the I2C protection for the eeprom.

I have read the EEProm on a version 1.6 using the a serial adaptor and it took 4 or 5 tries to read the data and from memory it was easier after the Xbox had booted or remove the chip and read and write  in a external programer.  You could try powering the EEProm froma external 3.3 volt supply and not boot the Xbox

If you fitting a modchip you don't need the hard drive key any way.

You fit the chip install the new  hard drive and load a install dvd then power cycle the Xbox and follow the prompts.  Simples

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2020 at 10:26 PM, alasdairc said:

Hi,

I'm struggling to read the eeprom of a Crystal 1.6 xbox. Was sold as faulty, hard drive clicking, decided was worth the gamle so bought it as I wanted to replace the hard drive anyway.

I have some Alladin XTs coming in the post to longterm this will be hard modded, however I'd really like to find out/change the HDD key from the eeprom and start building a new drive for it.

I'm using  https://github.com/Ryzee119/ArduinoProm in ordre to read the eeprom.bin file.

I've read multiple people talking about how on the 1.6 there is some sort of protection which makes it harder to perform a read operation, but can someone explain exactly that this is and how to bypass it? I'm able to scan the I2C bus using my cable + Arduoino Nano, so I'm pretty confident the issue is the I2C protection for the eeprom.

I've used PiPROM to read and write from two different 1.6 motherboards with no issue. ArduinoProm should yield similar results.How are you attaching the wires to the 3 pins on the LPC?

Make sure you are getting a good connection with the pins. I ended up soldering in a pinheader the 1st time I used it as I was not be getting a good connection.

also type out the command line in notepad and then use copy and paste into cmd, saves keep typing it out!

Edited by Ging3rguy

I read v1.6 eeprom with RS232 adapter (serial port on PC motherboard, ponyprog, windows 7)...with HDD and DVD disconnected there is a tiny capture window (1-2 seconds?) when xbox is powered on before it detects missing drives. There is a longer capture window (few seconds) when DVD and HDD are still connected. I took multiple captures under both conditions to check data integrity, all matched.

https://www.ogxbox.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32-how-to-build-an-eeprom-readerwriter (amazing a VGA port can be used 🤯)

For the two resistors that thread mentions 3.9k, 4k, or 4x1k. 4.7k worked fine for mine.

serial.jpg

The youtube video uses an alligator clip to attach ground to the case, but I used LPC pin 12 ground - saves getting an alligator clip.

Edited by corona2222
  • Like 2

That's the same home made device I have used to read a EEprom's and not only in Xbox's but other electronics as well.

I did notice the short window bit on a version 1.6 and I wonder if the same happens with a RaspberryPi reader as well.

Also the way I see it is 95% of people wanting to read the EEprom is because of a dead hard drive,  I find it quicker and easier to fit a modchip even if it a temporary thing to build a new drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:44 PM, VCoupe376ci said:

I've used PiPROM to read and write from two different 1.6 motherboards with no issue. ArduinoProm should yield similar results.How are you attaching the wires to the 3 pins on the LPC?

They were held in place but Im sure the connection was solid. The issue was the protection that would kick in when trying to read. I couldn’t get that right for some reason. 

Hi I everyone. 

I eventually modded this with an Aladdin chip which posted with the logo overlay fine however I then discovered the dvd drive wouldn’t read any discs...

So bought ANOTHER crystal 1.6 and have soft modded that in order to get something working at home for kids. It’s all going great now. 

interestingly, even with the working dvd drive the first xbox would not boot - something very strange with that board which I don’t have the time to further investigate right now  

Use the DVD drive from the other Xbox to finish the install on the 1st Xbox that you fitted the mod chip to

Once you have the mod chipped one working you can then swap the DVD drive back.

Cheers

SS Dave