OGXbox.com

Error 16: What Is the Best Solution?

HDShadow

Received an Xbox for spares I bought off Ebay. The thing I wanted it for was the working disc drive and all seems OK with that although it is my least favourite Philips VAD6011/21.

The Xbox was listed as having error 16 - which it does so I was prepared just to swap out the disc drive but the rest is in pretty good nick, a bit of dirt and fluff on the the MB but all cleanable so I'm now thinking about actually trying to get it working again.

But no extra cost so I'm not going to fit a chip or buy/build an eeprom reader (the eeprom of course is unknown) and I've been researching the best way of doing this.

Rocky5 in another forum about a year ago posted about using Chimp 261812 on another Xbox and hot-swapping in the error 16 HDD (set to cable select) and using Chimp's Fix Error 16 option. Sounded good until the guy who was asking had trouble getting the HDD either to unlock or be recognised by Chimp.

The solution that apparently worked was to use an installer disc instead of Chimp 261812 and actually hot-swap the error 16 HDD in for the main HDD and use HeXEn or whatever to install a softmod on that before swapping it back.

Another solution I found suggested hot-swapping to an IDE USB adapter/housing and using either Xplorer360 or XBHDM USB to install a dashboard. I've had 'fun' with that sort of thing before and almost gave up trying to get the hot-swapped HDD to be recognised by Xplorer360 before it actually worked.

So what method has worked for anyone else here wanting to fix an error 16 and is there some other, cost free, solution I've overlooked?

BTW all the information I have suggests this is a Xbox v1.2: Conexant VE, Philips disc drive, 21st Feb 2003, China but I know there is difficulty distinguishing between the v1.2 and v1.3. I'd like it to be a v1.3 and then I'd have a full house but the evidence and my waters tell me this is a v1.2.    

if you just want to softmod it and see if you can get it working I have used the hotswap method. You will need a usb to 3.5" ide adaptor a copy of Xboxhdm 2.3 and Rocky5 1.1.7. I have used it a couple of times with no issues. There is a good video on youtube of someone using this method, he did use a hdd key and locked the hdd, but I have do it without and just didn't lock the hdd.

• Like 1

If it was me I would temporary fit a modchip then use a install disk to fix the drive then then flash the TSOP and then remove the modchip.

I have  a stock hard drive that has the game saves for 007 AUF,Splinter Cell,Mechassault that I use to flash the TSOP from.

1 fix a xblast chip and add the TSOP write links

1.1 if you are planning on using the old drive unlock it now.

2 fit and lock the test stock drive

3 remove chip and boot Xbox of stock drive

4 run the game exploit to flash the TSOP

5 unlock the test stock drive

6 check you have unlocked the drive!!!

I now have a Xbox that will boot from a install disk (TruHeXEn 2020, SlaYer 2.6, AID)

You could also use a stock drive that is softmodded that contains the TSOP flash tools as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Fitting a chip is out - I'm not spending £10 and waiting 3 weeks just to discover there's something else wrong with the Xbox in question.

If I can get past the error 16 and it is fully functional otherwise I'll softmod it but I do have in mind to TSOP it later.

Hot-swapping seems to be the only cost free solution. I already have USB IDE external HDD enclosures and a simple IDE and SATA HDD USB adapter cable. The problem is that last time I used the IDE HDD enclosures for hot-swapping I had to redo it multiple times before Xplorer360 eventually reported it unlocked and I could access the content.

Xplorer360 often won't even recognise an unlocked Xbox HDD is attached. Guess I'll just have to hope the other cable works better.

BTW disconnecting the disc drive to force an error 11 instead as is recommended in some tutorials on hot-swapping did not work for me.   

Maybe the hard drive that came with it is locked to a different Xbox.

To me the fact that it is showing a error message I doubt that anything major aside the HDD has failed.

And having a Aladdin modchip flashed with Xblast is my most used tools when working on Xbox's.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Fitting a chip is out - I'm not spending £10 and waiting 3 weeks just to discover there's something else wrong with the Xbox in question.

If I can get past the error 16 and it is fully functional otherwise I'll softmod it but I do have in mind to TSOP it later.

Hot-swapping seems to be the only cost free solution. I already have USB IDE external HDD enclosures and a simple IDE and SATA HDD USB adapter cable. The problem is that last time I used the IDE HDD enclosures for hot-swapping I had to redo it multiple times before Xplorer360 eventually reported it unlocked and I could access the content.

Xplorer360 often won't even recognise an unlocked Xbox HDD is attached. Guess I'll just have to hope the other cable works better.

BTW disconnecting the disc drive to force an error 11 instead as is recommended in some tutorials on hot-swapping did not work for me.   

You don’t need xplorer360 to do it just a spare hdd to rebuild your softmod, a copy of Xboxhdm and Rocky5 1.1.7. Place the modded C drive from 1.1.7 in the xboxhdm folder next to the Xboxhdm.bat. Run xboxhdm.bat, build your new drive, don’t lock it. Then preform the hotswap and you will have a working softmod if it was only a hdd issue on the Xbox.

• Like 1

The Xbox actually came with two (Seagate) HDDs, one fitted the other loose. The first is the one giving error 16 the second goes to error 6 which means that it is not locked to the same Xbox but also, I thought, good evidence the error 16 HDD is. If it isn't then any hot-swap method is not going to work is it?

If I've understood Ging3rGuy's method I can just prepare any softmodded HDD but unlocked and just hot-swap it in to replace the error 16 one.

If so I didn't realise that was possible because it gives me another option. I have a Xecuter chipped Xbox and as I've done before used it with AID to prepare a softmodded HDD and locked it with an imported eeprom from the machine it was to be used in.

That worked fine so even though I do not have the eeprom this time if it is just a question of a building a new unlocked softmodded HDD for the hot-swap that is going to be the best solution for me I think.   

Edited by HDShadow

54 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

The Xbox actually came with two (Seagate) HDDs, one fitted the other loose. The first is the one giving error 16 the second goes to error 6 which means that it is not locked to the same Xbox but also, I thought, good evidence the error 16 HDD is. If it isn't then any hot-swap method is not going to work is it?

If I've understood Ging3rGuy's method I can just prepare any softmodded HDD but unlocked and just hot-swap it in to replace the error 16 one.

If so I didn't realise that was possible because it gives me another option. I have a Xecuter chipped Xbox and as I've done before used it with AID to prepare a softmodded HDD and locked it with an imported eeprom from the machine it was to be used in.

That worked fine so even though I do not have the eeprom this time if it is just a question of a building a new unlocked softmodded HDD for the hot-swap that is going to be the best solution for me I think.   

Just don’t lock the drive and you should be fine.