OGXbox.com

Can't Access UnleashX Dashboard.

strykie

Hey guys, so I've have a softmodded OG Xbox that I hadn't used for a few years, but was tempted to just play some games on it casually after hearing the news of the insignia project aiming to revive OG Xbox Live again.

Now I accept full responsibility for the following; I decided to be a total jackass and wonder "what would happen if I tried to actually access Xbox Live on one of these old games right now?", not knowing it would actually install a dashboard update, and gave me the 21 error code. (it probably didn't help that the game in question was booted through UnleashX either)

So after rebooting, it takes me to the normal OG Xbox dashboard, and I can't find a way back into UnleashX. It does still appear to still be softmodded however, since it's a PAL system and is still allowing me to change my resolutions to 480p/720p/1080i, which obviously isn't normally possible on PAL.

I've also tried going through the old Splinter Cell softmod route, but in that case it just reboots the game, and the OG dashboard won't boot a Hexen disc either, at least not the one I tried.

Just overall seeing how much the OG Xbox softmodding scene has evolved since I've done anything to mine, I feel a bit overwhelmed and not really sure how to tackle this issue, if possible :/ so I've come to this forum hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

The console was region changed so when you accidentally returned it to retail state by using the updater it was still left in NTSC mode. The fact HeXEn will not boot means the softmod is most likely gone.

Unfortunately trying to re-softmod using the same game SC exploit/installer after updating the MS dash this way results in what you've described all too often. But if you tried to use the PAL SC exploit and the PAL version of SC then it just might that is the problem. With the console region changed to NTSC you need to use the NTSC exploit/installer game saves and, probably, a NTSC version of SC too. Worth trying just with the NTSC game saves but don't get your hopes up.  

What worked for me when I did this deliberately so see how easy it was to fix turned out to be using another game and exploit/installer (I used 007 AUF). I had to buy that first (Ebay) and that was when it was quite easy to find cheaply. I do not know what the situation is now.

There are other ways of fixing it if you have an eeprom backup.

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

The console was region changed so when you accidentally returned it to retail state by using the updater it was still left in NTSC mode. The fact HeXEn will not boot means the softmod is most likely gone.

Unfortunately trying to re-softmod using the same game SC exploit/installer after updating the MS dash this way results in what you've described all too often. But if you tried to use the PAL SC exploit and the PAL version of SC then it just might that is the problem. With the console region changed to NTSC you need to use the NTSC exploit/installer game saves and, probably, a NTSC version of SC too. Worth trying just with the NTSC game saves but don't get your hopes up.  

What worked for me when I did this deliberately so see how easy it was to fix turned out to be using another game and exploit/installer (I used 007 AUF). I had to buy that first (Ebay) and that was when it was quite easy to find cheaply. I do not know what the situation is now.

There are other ways of fixing it if you have an eeprom backup.

Fair enough, that explains most of it. Yeah I just tried the NTSC equivalent for Splinter Cell and as expected, didn't work. Thanks for the reminder on Agent Under Fire though, just got it cheap on eBay, should arrive in a few days. Will just have to wait and see how I go from there and if I can exploit through that instead.

• Like 1