OGXbox.com

Easy Workaround for the 480p Bug On the V.1.6

bulkchart32

if u have a v1.6 that is connected with a component cable(green,blue and red cables) then u probably know there are a few games that are scrambled if u try to play them in 480p and u have to set the xbox to 480i to unscramble the the picture. here is a simple workaround that i just discovered.

1.power on your xbox and pull the power cord with the system on.(the step may not be needed but it sometimes it)

2. plug your xbox in, hold a controller in one hand and hit the power button with the other, then click in the left and right sticks along with holding down the L and R buttons and hold all 4 buttons until u get to the xbox desktop(make certain the system doesn't have a game in it so it will boot to the desktop).

3. if u did things correctly u should see the screen flicker and go into 480p mode as the desktop is coming up. hit the INFO button on your tv remote to make certain that the display is in 480p mode(and not 480i).

4. make certain the 480p mode is set to YES in the system settings menu and then throw in a game and see if it works. i used fable(non-lost chapters version) and it worked perfectly.

I've not heard this working for the problem game on the a v1.6 but what is described is basically the fairly well known way of swapping between 480i and 480p on the MS dash.

You can do this at any time and swap back, you do not need to do all that potentially dangerous power off/on button stuff. Just go to the MS dash (also works for MS dashes installed as apps) and hold the triggers down then click left and right sticks down (L3/R3) together and it'll swap the resolution.

I'm doubtful about this working when you boot a problem game afterwards and my suspicion is that all its doing is swapping to 480i and that's why the game is displaying OK.

I've given it a go, as described, using my original Panzer Dragoon Orta disc and as I expected the game still started with a corrupted display when 480p was selected at any point prior to the game booting.

The, still best, solution is to use Rocky5's XBMC v1.6 480p Loader script to patch the troublesome games but if anyone can get this method to work I'll be interested to know.

7 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I've not heard this working for the problem game on the a v1.6 but what is described is basically the fairly well known way of swapping between 480i and 480p on the MS dash.

You can do this at any time and swap back, you do not need to do all that potentially dangerous power off/on button stuff. Just go to the MS dash (also works for MS dashes installed as apps) and hold the triggers down then click left and right sticks down (L3/R3) together and it'll swap the resolution.

I'm doubtful about this working when you boot a problem game afterwards and my suspicion is that all its doing is swapping to 480i and that's why the game is displaying OK.

I've given it a go, as described, using my original Panzer Dragoon Orta disc and as I expected the game still started with a corrupted display when 480p was selected at any point prior to the game booting.

The, still best, solution is to use Rocky5's XBMC v1.6 480p Loader script to patch the troublesome games but if anyone can get this method to work I'll be interested to know.

i don't know what is potentially dangerous about it. i don't have panzer dragon or i would try the game. it worked on my copy of fable non-lost chapters. according to my tv(and my eyes) the game was running in 480p, it did not switch back to 480i.

You said pull the power cord with the system on. That's never a good idea with any computing device.

I'm not disbelieving you it is just that it seems unlikely that such a fairly simple solution has not been reported (that I've read) in the 16+ years the v1.6 has been around. 

Maybe this technique does only work on a stock Xbox - but at the moment I do not have a working retail state Xbox to test that. I was using my C:\xb1dash.xbe to boot the MS dash and also tested it on the MS dash I have installed as an app. 

i

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

You said pull the power cord with the system on. That's never a good idea with any computing device.

I'm not disbelieving you it is just that it seems unlikely that such a fairly simple solution has not been reported (that I've read) in the 16+ years the v1.6 has been around. 

Maybe this technique does only work on a stock Xbox - but at the moment I do not have a working retail state Xbox to test that. I was using my C:\xb1dash.xbe to boot the MS dash and also tested it on the MS dash I have installed as an app. 

it doesn't work on a modded xbox. i had read somewhere else that this is a solution but had forgotten about it and was just trying to run my xbox dashboard in 480p mode. turns out it fixed the bug.

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

here's an old thread about it. https://www.ignboards.com/threads/easy-to-do-fable-480p-glitch-fix-for-all.68006396/

Fable (original) is a bit unusual in respect to the v1.6 Xcalibur 480p issue. It is the one game that Rocky5's v1.6 480p Loader scripts employs a plain old Evox dash as a launcher.

That suggests a possibility this technique might only apply to Fable.

If anyone here is actually using a stock v1.6 Xbox (which I think unlikely) it would be interesting to know if any of the other v1.6 480p problem games like PDO, Voodoo Vince, Gunvalkyrie. JSRF etc can be forced into 480p display in the same way.  

• 11 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 11:12 PM, Greg2600 said:

Even the Rocky5 script cannot patch the games on the fly right?  So you can't use the original game disc in 480p, right?

Correct, the XBMC 480p loader script patches the game's default.xbe file stored on the hard drive. 

Edit: With the game installed on a modded Xbox's hard drive, you only have to run the patch script one time unless you delete the game from the hard drive then reinstall a non-patched version to the hard drive again.