OGXbox.com

Question About Parts From a 360 Dvd Drive

bulkchart32

No, there were a couple of computer dvd drive that could be used with a bit of tweaking but you are unlikely to find a compatible one these days. If you just need it for loading a utility disk you can just plug in a modern aftermarket dvd drive. It will not read original disk and you need to leave the original drive connected so the Xbox thinks it is reading from its own dvd drive. Not a pretty setup as you need the case open.

1 hour ago, bulkchart32 said:

i know the drive from a 360 will not work with an og xbox but are there any parts from a 360 drive that would work? for example, would certain lasers like the SOH-DX1 from a 360 drive work in an og xbox drive that has the same model laser?

If the part number on the laser is exactly the same and the physical mounting is the same then providing that the conector is the same it should work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I replaced the motor that opens and closes the drive and sourced it from a broken 360 drive(I believe they were both samsung). It was a perfect fit i just needed to run wires instead of the plugs that solder in to the board. Other than that nothing could really be used from what I saw. 

54 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

If the part number on the laser is exactly the same and the physical mounting is the same then providing that the conector is the same it should work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

it appears that some 360 drives use that laser but i'm having a hard time finding which ones did. i can buy a new 360 drive for the price of a refurbished laser(not certain how they refurbish them).

1 minute ago, bulkchart32 said:

it appears that some 360 drives use that laser but i'm having a hard time finding which ones did. i can buy a new 360 drive for the price of a refurbished laser(not certain how they refurbish them).

They probably refurbish them the same as some evilBay sellers clean then test to see if it works and say refurbished.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

They probably refurbish them the same as some evilBay sellers clean then test to see if it works and say refurbished.

Cheers

SS Dave

i'm just hoping they didn't do a pot tweak on it. everything i have read says that will make them work for a little while longer but not very long. when i search that laser part number by itself, i get alot of things about an xbox 360 drive which makes me think that some 360 drives have it. i wish i could find out exactly which ones so i could just order that drive and steal parts from it.

11 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

i'm just hoping they didn't do a pot tweak on it. everything i have read says that will make them work for a little while longer but not very long. when i search that laser part number by itself, i get alot of things about an xbox 360 drive which makes me think that some 360 drives have it. i wish i could find out exactly which ones so i could just order that drive and steal parts from it.

I think if you could use a 360 laser there would be at least one tutorial on this site or on youtube on how to do it.

• 8 months later...

if the parts are physically the same they will work, and while a 360 drive cannot be used in an ogxbox now this was not always true.

back in the xboxscene days a small group of users were studying this possibility, and certain drives hitachi and benq could be made to load some games but it involved special custom firmware(a modified version of the fimware used for dumping games when 360 drive is connected to pc).

it wasn't perfected but was promising, but all the info went when the site went down, i think that with the right custom firmware and a sata to ide adapter it is possible but who in 2021 knows enough about writing custom firmware for ogxbox drives?, and is willing to spend time and resources studying it when good drives are available at decent cost?.

no one so its a dead duck, some samsung ogxbox and 360 drives are all most identical(mechanically) but the electronic board is different(obviously), but as someone above said if the ribbons are the same you could try transposing the board, but ogxbox sammy drives were good, where as 360 sammy drives were not the best, but if they are similar mechanically  it may have been due to the electronics.

another thing to consider is one of the pc dvd drives they used to convert for ogxbox use needed the disc spinner motor to be unsoldered and swapped round(cant remember which drive though.

my advice is to just find a good useable ogxbox drive and replace it, but if you have the skills to repair your own drive and can get proper parts do it, just buy new lasers if you can, if you buy a recon and its just been tweaked it will burn out in no time, so buy new, they can be found if you look.