Jump to content

Will the Heatgun Trick Work On the Gpu?


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

i have a few donor boards. does the bios control the default date? i have a messed up one that always boot with 04/13/44 as a date.

I would think the time zone would be in the EEProm but i can not be 100% sure.

I would have thought the settings like time zone,PAL/NTSC,Audio output type,Auto login to Live and that sort of thing would be in the EEProm.

With the time zone have you tried to change the time zone then set the clock.. eg set time zone to say -10 hours  and set the clock and see what happens.

Also if it dumps the time in under 10 minutes the clock cap has failed.

So in answer to you question it may fix it.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

I would think the time zone would be in the EEProm but i can not be 100% sure.

I would have thought the settings like time zone,PAL/NTSC,Audio output type,Auto login to Live and that sort of thing would be in the EEProm.

With the time zone have you tried to change the time zone then set the clock.. eg set time zone to say -10 hours  and set the clock and see what happens.

Also if it dumps the time in under 10 minutes the clock cap has failed.

So in answer to you question it may fix it.

 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

 

the reason i asked is because that xbox is suppose to have a freezing problem after being played for a while. i'm hoping the wierd clock issue is a symptom of a bad eeprom and swapping it will fix it and save my old game saves at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

the reason i asked is because that xbox is suppose to have a freezing problem after being played for a while. i'm hoping the wierd clock issue is a symptom of a bad eeprom and swapping it will fix it and save my old game saves at the same time.

I don't think the clock been that far off is the problem but it may still be  a EEProm problem.

Is that Xbox stock of modded (the clock problem one)?

Have you opened it up?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t you try a hotswap on the hdd. Take the hdd from your old unmodded box and drop it into the 1.6 or any other working Xbox. You just need to be fast on the swap over as you have about 5 seconds before it locks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I don't think the clock been that far off is the problem but it may still be  a EEProm problem.

Is that Xbox stock of modded (the clock problem one)?

Have you opened it up?

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

i have opened it. it is not modded.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Why don’t you try a hotswap on the hdd. Take the hdd from your old unmodded box and drop it into the 1.6 or any other working Xbox. You just need to be fast on the swap over as you have about 5 seconds before it locks.

how would the other xbox be able to unlock it again?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, bulkchart32 said:

how would the other xbox be able to unlock it again?

You need to unplug the ide cable from your dvd drives and the turn on both xboxs this will give you an error 12 but it unlocks the hdds. You then unplug your hero hdd from your from the Xbox (the one with the gpu issue) and plug it into Xbox 2 (your working xbox) you can then turn off Xbox 2 and it will lock your hdd to that xbox. 

Edited by Ging3rguy
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

 

You need to unplug the ide cable from your dvd drives and the turn on both xboxs this will give you an error 12 but it unlocks the hdds. You then unplug your hero hdd from your from the Xbox (the one with the gpu issue) and plug it into Xbox 2 (your working xbox) you can then turn off Xbox 2 and it will lock your hdd to that xbox. You just need to be quick on the swap as the hdd will lock itself after about 5 seconds. If you fluff it the 1st time don't worry they lock with their existing hdd keys.

is there any risk of corrupting a drive by doing this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I know of but nothing is ever 100%. What is on the hdd that you want to save? You could use explorer 360 to backup what is on there to a pc. You would just need a usb to ide adaptor and a couple of bits of software.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Not that I know of but nothing is ever 100%. What is on the hdd that you want to save? You could use explorer 360 to backup what is on there to a pc. You would just need a usb to ide adaptor and a couple of bits of software.

 

As long as the disk is unlocked, you can use the latest beta of FatXplorer https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/
As at this time, it currently only supports reading from OGXbox disks, not writing to them. But hopefully this is all you need anyway!
DO NOT use Xplorer360 (not be confused with the similarly named FatXplorer) as it is not designed for OGXbox disks and in my experience it does corrupt them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot swapping any thing (hard drives,modchips) always has a risk of un-repairable damage to both the Xbox and the device being hot swapped.

Seeing as the Data on the Xbox is important to you I would use the EEProm  read and write method and find a working version 1.6 Xbox to write the EEprom too.

The 1st version of EEprom read/writer in the video is 1 device there is also a Arduino version that is simple and cheap to make as well.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/ArduinoProm

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, samspin said:

As long as the disk is unlocked, you can use the latest beta of FatXplorer https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/3-0-beta/
As at this time, it currently only supports reading from OGXbox disks, not writing to them. But hopefully this is all you need anyway!
DO NOT use Xplorer360 (not be confused with the similarly named FatXplorer) as it is not designed for OGXbox disks and in my experience it does corrupt them.

The drive is the stock drive that is locked to the main board and he is wanting the game saves that's why I am leaning to read and write the EEProm to a working Xbox then swap the HDD to the now cloned Xbox main board and the OP can save the data he wants.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Not that I know of but nothing is ever 100%. What is on the hdd that you want to save? You could use explorer 360 to backup what is on there to a pc. You would just need a usb to ide adaptor and a couple of bits of software.

 

to answer your question, it has 14 years worth of save games on it that i don't wanna lose. plus, i used to take it to lan parties and i have other people's profiles on it that give me a sentimental feeling when i look at the save games and, especially, when i boot up halo 2. it was the first xbox that i ever owned so it really has sentimental value to me. i hate to even swap the mobo out but i'm willing to do that if i can keep my saves. if i lose all that data, it will feel like a loss to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Hot swapping any thing (hard drives,modchips) always has a risk of un-repairable damage to both the Xbox and the device being hot swapped.

Seeing as the Data on the Xbox is important to you I would use the EEProm  read and write method and find a working version 1.6 Xbox to write the EEprom too.

The 1st version of EEprom read/writer in the video is 1 device there is also a Arduino version that is simple and cheap to make as well.

https://github.com/Ryzee119/ArduinoProm

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

the fix i'm leaning towards is swapping the eeprom chip to another board. i can do it with the tools and things that i already have. i'd have to really study up on and, get extra parts to do, the injection thing. is the eeprom chip swap completely safe?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Swapping the EEProm chip is safer than hot swapping the hard drive.

I would find a same version Xbox that is working 100% before you swap the EEProm over using a Xbox that is having problems.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Swapping the EEProm chip is safer than hot swapping the hard drive.

I would find a same version Xbox that is working 100% before you swap the EEProm over using a Xbox that is having problems.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

 

what are the risks involved with swapping the chip? have u ever done it before?

Link to post
Share on other sites

That really depends on you soldering skills I regularly remove and reinstall 100 pin ram chip's so a 8 pin would be easypeasy

I have never swapped a Xbox EEProm but have read and written the EEProm using the basic 3 wire serial EEprom reader and software described in the video I posted 

If you look up Chipquik SMD removal this stuff makes removing a SMD IC easy

Any time you are removing a SMD component there is a chance the it could get damaged but on a 8 pin that is extremely low and as I mention before practice on a old computer board 1st or the version 1.6 board that has the date problem even if you remove the EEProm chip and refit it back on the same board and then test to make  sure it's still working. When you are 100% confident on swapping the chip back and forward on the same board then do the board with the HDD your wanting to keep.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That really depends on you soldering skills I regularly remove and reinstall 100 pin ram chip's so a 8 pin would be easypeasy

I have never swapped a Xbox EEProm but have read and written the EEProm using the basic 3 wire serial EEprom reader and software described in the video I posted 

If you look up Chipquik SMD removal this stuff makes removing a SMD IC easy

Any time you are removing a SMD component there is a chance the it could get damaged but on a 8 pin that is extremely low and as I mention before practice on a old computer board 1st or the version 1.6 board that has the date problem even if you remove the EEProm chip and refit it back on the same board and then test to make  sure it's still working. When you are 100% confident on swapping the chip back and forward on the same board then do the board with the HDD your wanting to keep.

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

have u ever tried the read/write trick on 1.6 xbox's? i hear they can't be flashed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not flashing the TSOP BIOS as that cannot be changed on a version 1.6 you are reading and  writing to a different chip that holds the Xbox serial number and the hard drive ,Xbox live key's,Video output type 

 

Cheers

SS Dave


Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

I had an Xbox 1.4 that would turn on and boot up but the screen never had a signal but the sound was working fine, it wasn't my video cable or anything it was the Xbox.  I used my solder station heatgun to put a bit of heat onto the heatsink so I could easily remove it, I took it off and cleaned off all the thermal paste leftovers with some 99.9% rubbing alcohol, I then set my heatgun to 300 degrees C and put a bit of solder onto the top of the GPU, the reason for this was to know when I had it hot enough, I had a small nozzle on the heatgun and kept the heat on the chip with the bit of solder off to the edge, I kept blowing the heat onto the top of the chip until the little bit of solder I had sitting on it started to melt then I held the heat gun on the gpu while pushing on it a little bit with the back of a screwdriver to make the pins move in the sockets a bit with the solder soft, I then quickly took the heat gun off it and let it cool down, put new thermal paste on and the heatsink back on, waited until it was cold and plugged it in and fired it up, working! signal to the screen and the Xbox working fine.  I've now used the Xbox most days for the past couple of months and it has stayed working fine.  Today I upgraded the old 500g IDE drive I had in it to a 2TB with a SATA adapter, all went fine.  In the process of filling the 2TB up with Coinops and games now.

Edited by phrunt
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

That's good that you got it working. I would add that pushing down on the chip while the solder is molten is a really risky idea. If the pressure causes solder to move, you get bridged joints, which can only be fixed (usually) by reballing. If you just squirt flux under the chip and blast it with heat, that should be enough to reflow the solder.

Also, when doing bga rework it's good practice to heat the area surrounding the chip so that the difference between the hot area and room-temp area of the board isn't as drastic of a drop off. It's not always critical to do, but it's good practice. That's part of why bga rework stations will have preheater elements under the board in addition to the top air/iR heater. When doing so, it's good to use thermal (kapton) tape to cover components that are more sensitive to heat.

Anyways, glad to hear yours is working again. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Similar Content

    • By Riff-Raff
      Hello all. It's been a long time since I visited the old Xbox. I've modded quite a few back in the day and recently acquired a couple a few days ago in a box along with about 5 PS2s. I kinda got a little excited being as I haven't touched either one of them for several years. I had read about soft modding and wanted to try it since it didn't require any hardware or tools as I had gotten rid of everything I had. Well once I fired up the boxes I found both of them had hdd and dvd issues. I opened them up and, ..ugh. Both of them were 1.6b. Anyway, I jumped online and ordered a couple of Aladdin XT chips. It's slowed me down but has given me the time to look the forums over. I'm getting the itch back! I don't think the wife is going to like this all over again. Anyway I just wanted to say hi to everyone.
    • By ScorpionX
      Not sure what happened but on startup the screen froze on the boot menu with evo x insignia.
      now It tries to start twice and either dies or flashes red green with no screen output.
      Machine is hardmod with alldin xt plus chip using lpc board ver 1.6 stock hd
      Is this a dead hd or something else?          I thought it was a bad dvd drive ( sometimes it wouldn't eject) but am not sure.
      I was planning on a 2Tb upgrade but was enjoying learning FTP into xbox of games I wanted to play first knowing I was going to need more space.
      I hope I don't have to start from scratch .

Board Life Status


Board startup date: April 23, 2017 12:45:48
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.