OGXbox.com

Will the Heatgun Trick Work On the Gpu?

bulkchart32

40 minutes ago, madmon said:

Maybe but its not a permanent fix. With how cheap they are now you might as well go to a value village and grab one. Last time I was there they had 3 and they were $20 a pop.

i'm brainstorming ways of saving an xbox that has sentimental value to me.

It would be real hit and miss.

Each of the silver dots is a solder joint and if 1 is not connected the chip will not function correctly.

xbox_1_1_top_clean.thumb.jpg.235add638c5f63208d9db8f8ab293e0d.jpg

Your best bet is to replace the board 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Well I will tell you what I would try. These original XBOX do not seem to have much of a problem with the GPU's. But i would take a heat gun and a thermomter gun and heat the area of the gpu to about 245 F..Thats F (farentheith) NOT C (Celcius). That is not enough temp to melt the solder underneith but it will excite the molucles inside the GPU and maybe snap it back to working. I have done this quite a few times with laptops and 360's. Many times its not the solder holding the gpu but the gpu is not working. But it will not hold. It is at best a temporary fix. It will fail again. I tried to find someone a couple years back to reball a Halo 3 XBOX 360 and could not find anyone to do it. I highly doubt anyone will want to reball this OG XBOX and it may be the GPU itself that has failed.  The best thing to do is to change the motherboard if the gpu has failed. Just my 2 Cents 

1 hour ago, Gray1 said:

Well I will tell you what I would try. These original XBOX do not seem to have much of a problem with the GPU's. But i would take a heat gun and a thermomter gun and heat the area of the gpu to about 245 F..Thats F (farentheith) NOT C (Celcius). That is not enough temp to melt the solder underneith but it will excite the molucles inside the GPU and maybe snap it back to working. I have done this quite a few times with laptops and 360's. Many times its not the solder holding the gpu but the gpu is not working. But it will not hold. It is at best a temporary fix. It will fail again. I tried to find someone a couple years back to reball a Halo 3 XBOX 360 and could not find anyone to do it. I highly doubt anyone will want to reball this OG XBOX and it may be the GPU itself that has failed.  The best thing to do is to change the motherboard if the gpu has failed. Just my 2 Cents 

Yes you right about not having a problem Until people remove the heatsink and stress the solder joints in doing it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Each of the silver dots is a solder joint and if 1 is not connected the chip will not function correctly.

Cheers

SS Dave

would i have to have a modded board for that to work? is there any way to remove the mod chip after doing it after doing it and the board still work with the hdd?

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes you right about not having a problem Until people remove the heatsink and stress the solder joints in doing it.

Did the OP say he tried to remove the heatsink? If he did I missed it. If it failed right after he removed the heatsink, then  that is a different matter.

5 minutes ago, Gray1 said:

Did the OP say he tried to remove the heatsink? If he did I missed it. If it failed right after he removed the heatsink, then  that is a different matter.

Not sure but I have seen the request for help a heap of times saying I have changed the thermals (Winter underwear is what I call thermals)and now it not working.

Cheers

SS Dave

22 minutes ago, Gray1 said:

i did remove the heatsink. i wish that i would not have now. i'm not certain if i damaged it when i removed the heatsinks or if i used to much thermal paste when replacing the heatsink and ran the gpu hot. it worked for a little while before it started acting up.

23 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

would i have to hard mod the system if i replace the board but want my original hdd to work with it?

1 hour ago, bulkchart32 said:

would i have to hard mod the system if i replace the board but want my original hdd to work with it?

Was the old Xbox softmodded of modchiped/Tsop flashed?

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Was the old Xbox softmodded of modchiped/Tsop flashed?

Cheers

SS Dave

no, not at all. it was completely stock 1.6. i've never modded an xbox. i tried on a coma 1.0 one but it still doesn't work so i don't know if i did correctly.

Edited by bulkchart32

I would find a working version 1.6 then read the eeprom in the old board and write to the new board you then have 2 identical main boards then swap the hdd to the new board and you will now have a working Xbox with the old game saves, Xbox live key,serial number.

Or you could swap the EEprom chip to acheve the same thing.

IMG_20200527_091442.thumb.jpg.9361b86feabf97ba02a14dc579601f7a.jpg

The eeprom contains the hard drive key needed to marry the main board and hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

7 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would find a working version 1.6 then read the eeprom in the old board and write to the new board you then have 2 identical main boards then swap the hdd to the new board and you will now have a working Xbox with the old game saves, Xbox live key,serial number.

Or you could swap the EEprom chip to acheve the same thing.

IMG_20200527_091442.thumb.jpg.9361b86feabf97ba02a14dc579601f7a.jpg

The eeprom contains the hard drive key needed to marry the main board and hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

can u link me to a youtube vid that shows how to do all that? also, i have a 1.6 that shows the date of 04/13/44 when it is booted and it is suppose to have problems with freezing after being played for a while. would that be a problem with the bios chip and make the board a good candidate for the chip swap?

Edited by bulkchart32

9 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

can u link me to a youtube vid that shows how to do all that?

Here is one video and the same person has a video on making a eeprom reader/writer cable.

I would suggest you watch a few videos before you try it

Also the version 1.6 can be finicky to read because if the reader is connected at the wrong time it locks up and you can not read the data

Cheers

SS Dave

19 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Here is one video and the same person has a video on making a eeprom reader/writer cable.

I would suggest you watch a few videos before you try it

Also the version 1.6 can be finicky to read because if the reader is connected at the wrong time it locks up and you can not read the data

Cheers

SS Dave

will swapping the chip definitely work?

Yes but I would practice removing and soldering a chip similar size on a old computer board 1st.

And the boards need to be the same version so both version 1.6 as you can not mix a 1.6 and 1.2 eeprom.

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes but I would practice removing and soldering a chip similar size on a old computer board 1st.

And the boards need to be the same version so both version 1.6 as you can not mix a 1.6 and 1.2 eeprom.

Cheers

SS Dave

i have a few donor boards. does the bios control the default date? i have a messed up one that always boot with 04/13/44 as a date.