OGXbox.com

Damaged XBox + Controller

SergioDeNice

Hi,

I recently got a complete OG Xbox set (console, controller, cables) for next to nothing, but I've ran into two problems :

- first, the Xbox (v1.1) powers on but the picture lags and then freezes. I can still hear the sound of my actions in the dashboard but the picture is frozen. I opened the case and it seems some capacitor leakage took place, although none of them shows a buldge. I took off the clock cap and cleaned the surroundings with white vinegar then alcohol. Now I'm a bit lost about what I could do to find if anything can still be done to repair the poor old thing.

- second, the Duke Controller has a problem with the analog stick : it seems to be stuck on the "up" postition. I mean, the stick moves in any direction but the Xbox always get teh "up" signal. I treid to clean the sensor using WD40 to no avail. I am willing to try my (very modest) soldering skills and replace it but I wouldn't know where to find the spare part.

Can you shed some light?

BR

Serge

14 minutes ago, SergioDeNice said:

Hi,

I recently got a complete OG Xbox set (console, controller, cables) for next to nothing, but I've ran into two problems :

- first, the Xbox (v1.1) powers on but the picture lags and then freezes. I can still hear the sound of my actions in the dashboard but the picture is frozen. I opened the case and it seems some capacitor leakage took place, although none of them shows a buldge. I took off the clock cap and cleaned the surroundings with white vinegar then alcohol. Now I'm a bit lost about what I could do to find if anything can still be done to repair the poor old thing.

- second, the Duke Controller has a problem with the analog stick : it seems to be stuck on the "up" postition. I mean, the stick moves in any direction but the Xbox always get teh "up" signal. I treid to clean the sensor using WD40 to no avail. I am willing to try my (very modest) soldering skills and replace it but I wouldn't know where to find the spare part.

Can you shed some light?

BR

Serge

for the controller, u can unsolder a good stick from any official xbox360 or xb1 controller and solder it into your duke controller. i strongly advice practicing this on a sacrificial controller before doing it to your duke controller. btw, DON'T use wd40 on ur controller at all! if u are gonna try to clean an analog stick, don't use anything but rubbing alcohol. my guess on the console would be that u have another bad cap somewhere. they don't have to bulge to be bad. should be one of the bigger caps.

20 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

for the controller, u can unsolder a good stick from any official xbox360 or xb1 controller and solder it into your duke controller. i strongly advice practicing this on a sacrificial controller before doing it to your duke controller. btw, DON'T use wd40 on ur controller at all! if u are gonna try to clean an analog stick, don't use anything but rubbing alcohol. my guess on the console would be that u have another bad cap somewhere. they don't have to bulge to be bad. should be one of the bigger caps.

Thanks for the advice. I feel a bit ashamed, but I don't know how to test a cap. I don't want to recap the whole MB, so how do I find the one(s) which went bad (I own a basic multimeter)?

BR

Serge

Edited by SergioDeNice

45 minutes ago, SergioDeNice said:

Thanks for the advice. I feel a bit ashamed, but I don't know how to test a cap. I don't want to recap the whole MB, so how do I find the one(s) which went bad (I own a basic multimeter)?

BR

Serge

that can be kind of tricky and best left up to others in this forum to answer because i'm still learning about this.

2 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

that can be kind of tricky and best left up to others in this forum to answer because i'm still learning about this.

Hello SergioDeNice

Some multimeters have a capacitance tester built in and that will give you a rough idea if the cap is good or bad but the better sort of meter is a ESR tester and to test the capacitor it needs to be removed from the board 

On this meter there is a cap tester,  see the symbol in the black circle that capacitance test

Here this version of meter sell for around $700-$950 Aud new and $250 Aud used.

525672894_fluke87.jpg.1039b3b217c098a1e7640bf9559eef02.jpg

A Cheap ESR meter can be got for $15 Aud and  good quality one starts from $250 Aud

251784612_esrmeter.jpg.8eee28da77bf5806d920d11fcc8644e3.jpg

If you see any caps looking like the ones with the red circles you need to replace them 

The ones in the yellow circles are normal looking but if any in the green rectangle are bulging (like the red one) replace all of them.

IMG_20200526_050303.thumb.jpg.375142e0c6519882622e01518107474a.jpg

Caps can be purchased form any reputable supplier and you looking for low esr capacitors.

I use Digikey.com but there is plenty of sellers with console5.com selling kits to suit the version of you motherboard you have.

If you have any questions just ask...

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 minute ago, SergioDeNice said:

Thanks for the tips! Time for me to get a digital multimeter.

If you just looking to test caps the cheaper option and not the multimeter is what I would suggest.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit hard from the angle of the pic but the ones I circled made me look a bit harder, Are the top's of the 2 caps flat?

IMG_20200604_121124.thumb.jpg.571246b1b32f4d1f996066d8b1ddc608.jpg.106520abc465c978e3c8ec3fe232ca6b.jpg

Is the problem occurring on all games or just some, What's the dash you are using ,is the Xbox NTSC and 480,720,1080 or PAL, what AV lead component or composite.

What mod chip and hard drive

Can you post a pic of the whole board.

Cheers

SS Dave

They look ok.

If it is freezing on boot and it is not modded then I would think the hard drive is failing

As it is a version 1.0-1.1 I would temporary fit a modchip 

Then lock a test hdd and if it's working then flash the TSOP 

Cheers

SS Dave

The versions 1.0 - 1.4 are reasonably easy to fit modchips too.

You need to solder a 12 pin header and a D0 wire.

I would you use the alternative D0 point on the bottom of the board and link to ground as in the pic

1420258271_Btpoints.PNG.07730d9790beb1a79550690c51242720.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

Test the voltages at the 12 pin power conector

From the pin closest to the heat sink 3.3 volt next down is 3.3 volt thenthe black wires are ground folowed by a 3.3 volt then a 2nd 3.3 volt 3 X reds are 5 volt  and yellow is 12 volt.

603501330_powersupplyXbox.jpg.ad6084eb60309db4840f14f779c66ba5.jpg

I would also look for a solder blob on the board.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 weeks later...