OGXbox.com

XBox Psu Project

ttsgeb

On 11/11/2020 at 11:16 PM, ttsgeb said:

The project is very dead, but I just put the zip on gitlab if you want to work on it.  The prototypes are also still up for grabs if anyone is interested in parts that don't work.
https://gitlab.com/ttsgeb/xboxPSU

I'm interested in getting all the prototypes and related items you have for this project.

• 3 weeks later...

So Ive made a decent amount of progress on my Xbox (v1.6) so far. The last bit I am needing is to do something about the PSU. Its way too big and puts off a decent amount of heat into the case. Once/If I can shrink the PSU down, I should really be able to slim down this system. Here are some pics of the progress I have made.

Two copper VGA coolers mounted to the CPU and GPU and a modchip for the No-DVD-check bios

I got ahold of one of the OpenXenium DVD Elimination kits and that is the small chip you see soldered to the bottom of the board.

I built an adapter to direct connect my SSD to the motherboard without any bulky IDE ribbon. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after I had it all built that the connector on the IDE-to-SATA adapter's pins were flipped, so I have my pins upside down, and Ill need to resolder it. The extra wires are ground wires and pin 34 has been removed from the drive side of the PCB and joined to ground on the host side to try and achieve 80 wire cable speeds.

It runs soo much cooler and quieter now with those replacement heatsinks. I was worried they were going to be too small, but so far they have been able to keep up without issue. The PSU is putting out the most heat in the case right now. The CPU and GPU heatsinks were cool to the touch while playing through the whole first mission in Halo. 

front.jpg

back.jpg

adapter.jpeg

adapter_install.jpg

running.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kannalo Not sure about the DreamPSU certainly has the correct voltages. Would still need to set up a transistor bridge to change the power on method though I think.

spototopolis where did you get those VGA coolers, been trying to get something like that for ages. Evercoolers are the one option I know work but the scene tax on them nowadays is a turn off.

45 minutes ago, big F said:

Kannalo Not sure about the DreamPSU certainly has the correct voltages. Would still need to set up a transistor bridge to change the power on method though I think.

spototopolis where did you get those VGA coolers, been trying to get something like that for ages. Evercoolers are the one option I know work but the scene tax on them nowadays is a turn off.

I believe the heatsinks he used are these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titan-ATI-NVIDIA-Copper-VGA-Cooler-TTC-CUV3AB-DIY-/222571984931?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

I have used these too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evercool-VC-RF-VGA-Chipset-Cooler-/390936355726?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Edited by ShinGoutetsu
  • Like 1

Sorry. I would have replied sooner, but I had my notification settings configured incorrectly. It is the Evercool vga Titan cooler. I bought the two on ebay for $20 each with $7 shipping. It came with different colored plastic plates, thermal paste, fan power adapters, and vram heatsinks. So yeah, I paid over $40 for the 2, but I really wanted them.

I havent made any further progress yet as I am still waiting for the MakeMHz HDMI adapter I ordered in Nov to ship.
I am also still waiting and hoping I get a response from ttsgeb about getting his PSU prototypes.

4 hours ago, spotopolis said:

I am still waiting for the MakeMHz HDMI adapter I ordered in Nov to ship.

I would not be holding your breath.

It looks like only a small number of people have received there orders and then it has come to light the 1.6 version has been dropped and either a refund or changed to a 1.0-1.4 version and now the 1.0-1.4 version will only work on a 1.2 - 1.4 and not on a 1.0-1.1

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 9:02 AM, ShinGoutetsu said:

Washers, small bolts and nuts using the old heatsink bracket mounting holes

I searched all available stores, auctions, classifieds in my country and unfortunately I did not find anything similar to the Titan set ;( At the moment, I am not able to match any heatsink available on the market to the CPU

I found mine on ebay.  A seller was selling them and had significant stock, I bought 10 just to make sure I had spares.

Just checked and they have no stock. 

some old budget graphics cards have coolers that are similar or suitable with a bit of modding. As long as you steer clear of the premium cards you miss the vintage tax.   
That said one seller is trying to sell a universal gpu cooler for $30 that you still see at computer fairs on sale new for $5 and carboot sales for less.  

Edited by big F
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...