OGXbox.com

Why Is It Only the Big Caps That Need Replacing?

bulkchart32

This is a good question. Very often we change th emost used caps, lke the cpoou/gpu caps because they suffer more. But you are irgh, sometimes, it hap^pens to me to replace the two caps on the rear, the ones used to filter power on video chipset.

As this is difficult to check a non blown cap, we change them if we can see they are destroyed, or when we check that a power valmue somewhere on the pcb is not good.

The best solution would be to use an oscilloscope in order to see in power value are stable or not.

bye

My theory is as the larger caps are used as power filtering they are working harder and getting hotter and that is slowing damaging the  cap..

I did see some console parts suppliers selling complete cap kits that included all the electrolytic caps (round vertical ones), I have also seen the SMD capacitors fail as well(Ask DR Google about Sony PS3 Capacitor fail)

The caps with the arrows are a higher tolerance and quality but can and are failing.

IMG_20200520_072652.thumb.jpg.b3182737e602652126a66ae71c223c47.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

2 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

My theory is as the larger caps are used as power filtering they are working harder and getting hotter and that is slowing damaging the  cap..

I did see some console parts suppliers selling complete cap kits that included all the electrolytic caps (round vertical ones), I have also seen the SMD capacitors fail as well(Ask DR Google about Sony PS3 Capacitor fail)

The caps with the arrows are a higher tolerance and quality but can and are failing.

IMG_20200520_072652.thumb.jpg.b3182737e602652126a66ae71c223c47.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

can u give me a link to full cap kits for the v1.0 and 1.6? preferably an ebay or amazon link.

3 minutes ago, UnderIntact said:

Usually I only see videos where they replace the clock capacitor. Never really see much about the other ones. But like mentioned before it could be that the bigger ones are for power filtering and are more likely to get damaged due to overheat and use.

That's correct I can not see any benefit in replacing the smaller ones at this stage.

Maybe in 10 of 15 years time they will need to be replaced and replacing the smaller electrolytic caps is the same procedure as the larger ones .

Cheers

SS Dave

1 minute ago, SS_Dave said:

That's correct I can not see any benefit in replacing the smaller ones at this stage.

Maybe in 10 of 15 years time they will need to be replaced and replacing the smaller electrolytic caps is the same procedure as the larger ones .

Cheers

SS Dave

I could see maybe if you wanted to ensure the best possible condition for the Xbox but other than that there should be no need to for a good while. It would just be extra work.

27 minutes ago, UnderIntact said:

Usually I only see videos where they replace the clock capacitor. Never really see much about the other ones. But like mentioned before it could be that the bigger ones are for power filtering and are more likely to get damaged due to overheat and use.

i've seen several about replacing the big ones to fix issues. 

6 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Hi, is there a similar list of resistor sizes as I have a 1.4 with a couple of resistors missing due to clock cap corrosion?

thanks

Not that I have seen

If you post a pic i can test a 1.4  I have here but it's not really worth replacing as most of that part is for the charging the clock cap and to change over to the cap when the power is removed.

The Xbox will run without them anyway

Cheers

SS Dave

27 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Not that I have seen

If you post a pic i can test a 1.4  I have here but it's not really worth replacing as most of that part is for the charging the clock cap and to change over to the cap when the power is removed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Okay thanks, I will post it here later, sorry to hijack the thread.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Not that I have seen

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi, I have attached a pic of the area affected and it is actually a 1.3. There are 3 missing resistor R7F7, R7F8 & R7F9. Any tips on cleaning the corrosion, I have just used isopropyl and a cotton bud?

B79AF7BB-0CB1-4E0C-9A4C-EB823730F4E6.jpeg