OGXbox.com

Playstation Game Compatibility List (PS1)

Frank D'Agostino

So I stumbled across the PS1 emulator for the original Xbox and I thought great. So I load it on a bunch of games and to my disappointment a lot of them did not run great. Game such a Silent Hill and Resident Evil some of the consoles best. The original Xbox could not handle some of the graphical demands the PS1 could deliver.

So I took it upon myself to see what is available to run good on pcsxbox v22b22

I loaded on an FTP over over a hundred original PS1 games. And I tested every single one over the course of a couple days. The results are in.

Now I know emulation is not perfected for the PS1 but I wanted to know what kind of a game list I could put together with what is available now

Surprisingly to see frames per second in some games did not matter. I am including frames per second in the list. But please look past it. This does not mean the game is not running good.. a game could be running as little as 10 or 12 frames per second and still be totally playable if you did not see the frames per second in the top left corner of the emulator..

Every game in this list below is totally playable on this emulator running 1.5 core version I did not change anything and I booted the cue file.

Here is the list of what has passed play ability test so far (dec 26 2017)

Batman Forever the arcade game - 20 FPS

Bomberman world - 30fps

Bust-a-move 99 -17fps

Bubble Bobble featuring rainbow Islands -45fps

Bust A Move 4 -17fps

Capcom vs SNK Millennium fight - 22fps

Castlevania Symphony of the Night -25fps

Diablo -17fps

Doom - 13-15 fps

Evil Dead Hail to the King -30+ fps

Grand Theft Auto 1 -20+ fps

Guilty Gear - 12fps

King of Fighters 99 - 20fps

Megaman X3 -25 fps

Megaman X4 - 25 fps

Megaman X5 - 25fps

Megaman X6 - 25 fps

Mega Man 8 - 25 fps

Parappa the rapper - 12 fps

Marvel superheroes - 18 fps

Marvel vs. Capcom - 18 fps

R types - 25 fps

Strider - 20fps

Strider 2 - 20fps

Street Fighter Alpha 2 - 20 fps

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 15 fps

Street Fighter collection -17 fps

Street Fighter collection 2 - 17fps

Super puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo - 25fps

Wild Arms - 15 fps

X-Men vs. Street Fighter - 20 fps

Tekken - 12 fps

I physically played and tested over 60 to 70 PS1 games. These are the games that made the cut. Please keep in mind even though the frames per second maybe low for some reason these games can pull it off. It seems to me like it can easily run side-scrolling type games. Or 2D Fighters very well. Eventually I will be adding more to this list as time goes by. If anyone wants to add any other games feel free below.

PS I know that there are lists that's a what this emulator can emulate. But I have actually tested these myself.

Thanks for reading and have a good day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...

With the games you didn't deem as running well., did you attempt to adjust any of the settings to see if they were playable? I had similar issues with certain n64 games but was able to tweak the pre-launch settings or change the emu/emu version to one that ran them better. I was disappointed with how well the PS1 games ran too but wonder if there are certain combinations of setting changes pre-game=launch that could end some of those troubles... and if so... maybe if we found a combination that makes the game playable, create a master list.

• 1 month later...

great work, wondering if you pursued this any further.

i've had success recently after downloading a redux/reloaded pack from tiz
it includes all the .cue files and everything works. pre-configured.
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/emulators/pcsxbox-v21-redux-and-reloaded-480i-and-720p/

recently i installed the ram upgrade and then xbmc emustation. im not sure what attributed to it but right out of the box final fantasy 7 worked.

i'd never had much luck trying to run a 3d psx game on the xbox prior to that.

i think emustation uses a newer psx emulator..pcsxbox v22 b25.... where as the above pack is using v21... so. i'll have to try it out on stock ram. but it was exciting to see aries face after all these years. i even played through the first couple battles.
i think it was "playable", there may be some tweaking that gets it working better.

its all time. and millions of things i want to do. but testing is what i need to do.
god bless the people that release packs on this scene. the content hanging around the net is just outlandish.
the younger me sitting in front of the pc desperate to play chrono trigger and seeing it fire up on ZSNES all those years ago would have flipped if i witnessed what i see now everytime i fire up the xbox.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 7:24 PM, wikati said:

great work, wondering if you pursued this any further.

i've had success recently after downloading a redux/reloaded pack from tiz
it includes all the .cue files and everything works. pre-configured.
http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/emulators/pcsxbox-v21-redux-and-reloaded-480i-and-720p/

recently i installed the ram upgrade and then xbmc emustation. im not sure what attributed to it but right out of the box final fantasy 7 worked.

i'd never had much luck trying to run a 3d psx game on the xbox prior to that.

i think emustation uses a newer psx emulator..pcsxbox v22 b25.... where as the above pack is using v21... so. i'll have to try it out on stock ram. but it was exciting to see aries face after all these years. i even played through the first couple battles.
i think it was "playable", there may be some tweaking that gets it working better.

its all time. and millions of things i want to do. but testing is what i need to do.
god bless the people that release packs on this scene. the content hanging around the net is just outlandish.
the younger me sitting in front of the pc desperate to play chrono trigger and seeing it fire up on ZSNES all those years ago would have flipped if i witnessed what i see now everytime i fire up the xbox.

Do you happen to know another place to get the pcsxbox v21 redux and reloaded?  Can't find it on internet archive and can't seem to locate it anywhere else

4 hours ago, dizM0nkey said:

Do you happen to know another place to get the pcsxbox v21 redux and reloaded?  Can't find it on internet archive and can't seem to locate it anywhere else

emuxtras.net download section

Update: although the download is just the emulator no bin/cue files included.

Edited by KaosEngineer

• Dixie Normous changed the title to Playstation Game Compatibility List (PS1)

This was tested with unleash X as well as XBMC 3 5 3. Emulationstation was never tested with these games. But these games do run good with emulationstation. Everything that was tested was just thrown into the emulator like any other emulator nothing was configured. That would literally take me months. For now there's a good list of at least 35 games that's floating around better than what was available before

16 hours ago, Frank D'Agostino said:

This was tested with unleash X as well as XBMC 3 5 3. Emulationstation was never tested with these games. But these games do run good with emulationstation. Everything that was tested was just thrown into the emulator like any other emulator nothing was configured. That would literally take me months. For now there's a good list of at least 35 games that's floating around better than what was available before

Thanks, @Frank D'Agostino... you're referring to the OP list you posted?  Yes, those should definitely be included, and I do see some of those missing from the older Redux/Reloaded games.  Nice work, and thanks for putting it together!