OGXbox.com

Deleted Dashboard Completely?

kwyn

I softmodded my xbox years and year ago. I just dug it out. Stupidly, I formatted all the drives. I have no dashboard at all upon booting without a disk.

However, I can still boot up a game, Amped 2 and play it.

How can I fix my xbox? I had an old evox dash on there anyway. I wouldn't mind putting something more recent on there. Also, it still has all the original parts inside: hard disk and dvd.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't think I have the agent under fire disc I originally used or any memory cards for that matter.

Use the same game disk you softmodded it with as the game exploit saves are more than likely still there.

If you have the hard drive key or a eeprom reader there is PC software that you could rebuild the drive.

I would fit a mod chip and use a install disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The console will boot an original game disk without the softmod working.  Doesn't require the dashboard on the hard drive to play a game.  However, the hard drive does have to be present for the data caching and saves it uses.

AID or HeXEn will not boot without an operational softmod  or hard mod.

Try booting a HeXEn 2018 installer disc.  More than likely it will not load.

That's what I understood too but surely if C:\ has been reformatted there should be nothing on it, no original MS dash files or anything else unless kwyn manually reinstalled them after the formatting. E:\ likewise. Yet original discs are booting.

I was not aware that an original game disc would boot on an unmodded or softmodded Xbox just with empty HDD I thought it at least required some minimum C:\ drive files even if the main GUI was missing/damaged.

But perhaps reformatting in this case means something different. 

Well at any rate to fix it the hard drive need to have the files restored and the easy way is to redo the softmod using the same game as was originally used or fit a modchip and use a install DVD(TruHeXEn, 2020,SlaYer 2.7).

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Even if kwyn can boot Splinter Cell or whatever was used for the softmod if E:\ was reformatted those exploit/installer game saves aren't going to be there any more either.

Chipping is of course one solution but I was thinking a hot-swapping solution might work too.

Never tried that myself so you'd need advice from someone who knows the ins and outs of that.

26 minutes ago, kwyn said:

I think terms like eeprom and hot swap show me that I would have a lot to learn to fix it myself.

I do not have agent under fire disc or exploit on a memory card anymore.

Learn to solder and put an Aladdin chip in it and you can then fix the hdd or just buy a chipped box and either sell yours or keep it for spares.

5 hours ago, kwyn said:

I think terms like eeprom and hot swap show me that I would have a lot to learn to fix it myself.

I do not have agent under fire disc or exploit on a memory card anymore.

Even if you had the xploit on a  memory card without it booting to the MS dash it is no going to work.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi kwyn, I have a way of you fixing your hdd without having to chip or read your eeprom.
You will need to get yourself a usb to ide/pata 3.5 adaptor (I bought one on amazon for £6), a copy of Xboxhdm 2.3 which is usb compatible and a copy of Rocky5 softmod (there is a YouTube vid with a link for xboxhdm with Rocky5’ softmod already included).

You will need to do a hotswap and link the usb ide to your hdd and run xboxhdm and install Rocky5’ softmod, just don’t lock the drive once it has installed and don’t turn off your Xbox until you have reconnected it.

I did a test by cloning my softmod hdd with chimp and then deleted all the files and got an error 13 when I turned it back on, I then did the hotswap and used xboxhdm to load the softmod and it all worked fine.

You just need to be quick when disconnecting the hdd from the Xbox and connecting to your computer, you will need them side by side for speed.

There are some good YouTube vids showing how to do the above just not showing the above using Xboxhdm 2.3