OGXbox.com

Help Identifying a Modchip, Bios Update!

Paw

Hi guys i just found my old xbox in the basement and by the look of things it looks like its hardmoded with a Xecuter chip and there is even a 120gb drive installed and all is working without any issues. My main question is if anyone here could help me identify what kind of Xecuter chip this is, because my plan is that i would like to replace the 120gb drive with a 1tb but im getting a LBA48 warning when i try to partition the new disk and its asking me to ugrade the current bios with a new one that supports LBA48.

Current INFO:

Bios: Xecuter2 4976.02

Kernel 1.00.5838.01

Xbox v1.1

What would be the best course of action, how should i approach the reflashing, what bios should i pick so that the new 1tb drive works as intended and ofcause what should i think about when i approach all this?

IMG_20200515_210939.jpg

IMG_20200515_211517__01.jpg

IMG_20200515_183118.jpg

Edited by Paw

16 hours ago, Paw said:

Current INFO:

Bios: Xecuter2 4976.02

Kernel 1.00.5838.01

The information here doesn't look correct.

Xecuter2 4976.02 BIOS's kernel version number should be: 1.00.4976.02

EvoX M8 or M8+ BIOS has the same kernel version at the latest Xbox v1.6 stock BIOS/kernel: 1.00.5838.01.

First of all thank you for the replys guys!

Here u can see a few pictures from when i booted with TruHexen2019 disk and Slayers v3.3 disk.

First two pictures are before the bios update with the old bios version: X2 4976.02.

And the third pictures is after i updated to bios version: X2 5035.67.

So far all is working ok with the new bios or atleast i hope so. :)

But anyway a few weeks back i bought this 80-Wire IDE Cable: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000TND1VI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

together with this IDE to SATA Adapter: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XW6LN6T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My problem is that i simply cant get the xbox to work with the new 80-Wire IDE Cable and the ide to sata adapter but when i swicth back to the original 40-Wire IDE Cable then all is working fine and the adapter is working without any issues.

Do you guys maybe have any tips regarding issues like this?

thumbnail_IMG_20200517_085449.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200517_085939.jpg

IMG_20200517_105538.jpg

When i read the cable info it says Blue=Controller, Grey=Slave, Black=Master.

But its not possible for me to connect it like this since the length between the connectors is all wrong.

So i turned the cable around and connected Black to xbox motherboard, Grey to DVD and Blue to the harddrive.

This way everything fits.

Could this be the issue maybe?

Or is dosent matter how the ide cable is connected?

Edited by Paw

the direction the 80 way cable can matter but all you need to do is make sure the hard drive is set master

I take it that the Xbox is booting ok with the old hard drive and the new BIOS 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Ok lets start of with saying thank you for all the feedback guys! :)

What bios should i use since i now know that its a Xecuter 2.2 Lite chip, and also can i install only 256kb or 512kb bios to this chip or maybe both work with this chip?

Also does any of u guys maybe have a good link were i could download (xbox bios checker 5.0 by crackjack)?

@SS_Dave

The switch on the IDE to SATA Adapter is set to master.

The system works just fine when i use the old 40-Wire IDE Cable together with the new 1TB disk , ide to sata adaper and the new bios installed ofcause.

When i install the 80-Wire IDE Cable and flip it around then the xbox kind of does a 2x boot loop or something and after that the screen goes black and nothing happends.

The only way i can install the 80-wire cable is this way  otherwise it dosent fit: Black to xbox motherboard, Grey to DVD and Blue to the harddrive.

When installed like this the xbox dosent work at all dosent mater how i combo it new disk old new bios or old disk with new or old bios

But when i install back the original 40-Wire cable that came with the xbox all starts without any problems but then again most guides dont recommend using the 40 wire cable with ide to sata adapters.

I also tested connecting the 80 wired cable the way it says in the cable specs Blue=Controller, Grey=Slave, Black=Master but no luck there aswell could the cable be faulty maybe?

I all out of ideas here..

Edited by Paw

1st don't bother with the BIOS checker it's as useful as a fly screen on a submarine.

When you boot with the new drive and the 80 way IDE what happens? any error numbers or flashing led colors?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Actually i dont know how 2 explain it but the dvd drive makes this rebooting sound or something and it does this 2x times and after that it stops and the xbox led is flashing red and yellow i think it was or maybe green will have 2 check again and its doing this during the whole process.

Also the screen is all black dont see any error messages.

Do u have any clue  what bios sizes i should use together with the Xecuter 2.2 Lite chip, do both 256kb and 512kb work ?

Edited by Paw

On 5/17/2020 at 8:52 PM, Paw said:

When i read the cable info it says Blue=Controller, Grey=Slave, Black=Master.

But its not possible for me to connect it like this since the length between the connectors is all wrong.

So i turned the cable around and connected Black to xbox motherboard, Grey to DVD and Blue to the harddrive.

This way everything fits.

Could this be the issue maybe?

Or is dosent matter how the ide cable is connected?

This is a very interesting and timely post about the 80 wire IDE cables being sold currently on places like Ebay and Amazon.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDD-IDE-cable-for-Ultra-ATA-hard-drives-CD-DVD-wih-ATA-IDE-40-PIN-CONNECTOR/333009722992?hash=item4d88ed1e70:g:KhUAAOSwsZhcONeY

A couple of months ago I bought two 'identical' 80 wire 24" yellow IDE cables with blue, grey, black connectors but only tested one of them. That works fine connecting black to Xbox MB, grey to DVD drive and blue to HDD. However today I tried using the the other one in exactly the same way and I kept on getting LED flashing green/red and eventually an error 09 screen. That's, a bit unusual, supposedly a HDD kernel error.

I knew there was nothing wrong with the HDD so I rechecked the connectors, all good, tried again, same thing. But when I went back to the previous 40 wire cable it worked fine as did the other new 80 wire cable I'd tested.

Bad cable? Well yes but on a whim I reconnected it blue to MB, grey to DVD and black to HDD, not easy because the cable connector spacing makes it impossible to use in the desired way. The damned thing worked fine!

Those cables may look identical but clearly they're wired differently.

Also I'd mention that whilst they look the business the top half of each connector is actually not secured to the lower part. Its just pressed together not locked in any way. So when trying to get the connectors out of the often tightly fitted and awkwardly placed Xbox DVD drive for a Chimp cable swap you have to be very carefully where you grip the connector.

6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You are booting with a install disk ing the DVD drive when you have the new hard drive connected.

Cheers

SS Dave

To install the new HD i was forced to boot with the old 40-wire cable, but then i later go back and test with the 80-wired cable thats when the issues start happening.

What @HDShadow is describing is exactly whats happening with the only exception that i cant get it working with the 80-wire cable at all.

Edited by Paw

It's sounding like a dud 80 way cable especially if it came from amazon or aliexpress. 

Have a look in any desk top computers and see if they have a 80 way cable and test your one in that.

Cheers

SS Dave

HDShadow you were totaly right, thank you for your feedback!

Finally all the problems with the silly 80-wire cable are solved! Thank you very much guys for all the great tips. :)

Edited by Paw