OGXbox.com

What Is the Trick To Make the Gpu Fan On V1.0 Quiet?

bulkchart32

Nothing, if it goes bad, it goes. Since it's not possible to remove the propeller shaft assembly to service it. You could try buying old VGA gpu with those little fans. I tried to take fan from fx5500, but fan is too big, i bet there exist smaller fans.

There is some 3D printed brackets on thingiverse to adapt a new fan to the old GPU heat sink(search Xbox GPU) or fit the GPU heatsink of the 1.1-1.6 and ditch the fan

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

When the temperatures start to get too high for my liking I tend to replace the heatsinks with VGA coolers. Having said, the last time I did this yesterday, I heated the original heatsinks too much in the process of unsetting the glue, teaches me to use a temperature controlled gun to gently heat rather than a hairdryer! Now the board FRAGs and is irrepairable. I'm really not proud of myself for this and don't know why I tried that on this occasion when I normally use a temperature controlled gun. I guess I was acting out of haste, but it's a vital lesson learned to be much more careful with these things. My usual equipment I don't have to hand due to the COVID-19 lockdown.
Anyways, I've found that Evercool UFO VGA coolers fit well for both the CPU and GPU, although you'll need to remove the existing plastic retainers from the board, and cut away two screw fittings from the bottom of the case under where the GPU area is. This will give you room to use bolts to hold the new heatsinks on.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332248005105 They aren't too noisy and do their job well.
I keep meaning to make a tutorial for this process, but after wrecking my board during the last time I did this, I feel the need to brush up on my skills before doing such a thing. I have got a photo of one of the heatsinks attached on an earlier board I did (and is thankfully still working!):
2063372076_vgafan.thumb.png.71abd5c250d7335e606a7b72ac58d6ff.png

For the avoidance of doubt, I have already posted about this over on the XBMC4XBOX forum.

Edited by samspin