OGXbox.com

Help On How To Update Modchip Bios

WHECL

Hello,

I bought a modchipped Xbox rev1.0. I want to remove the clock capacitor and don't want the modchip to be stuck on a clock loop, so I would like to know how to safely update the bios on the modchip through a burned CD/DVD. I've seen things like Slayers Disc and Hexen, but I'm not entirely sure how to proceed after burning them, and I'm not sure how safe it is and I don't want to screw anything up.

My modchip I think is the Aladdin onde, has if you hold the power button it boots an old version (as far as I can tell) of EvoX, which besides running burned media and the logo on boot, looks just like the MS dashboard.

Any help much appreciated.

Post a couple of pictures of the dashboard that runs when you power on the console with a short tap of the power button and another with a greater than 1 second press.  Does one method have an Evox shield in the upper left-hand corner of the startup animation?

If the dashboards look the same, no replacement dashboard has been installed.

19 hours ago, WHECL said:

Yes one has the EvoX logo on the upper left corner. And only in that mode will it run backup dvd's.

Correct, only when powered on to boot the modified BIOS from the modchip which shows the EvoX logo is the console running in a mode that allows unsigned applications/disks to be run/loaded.  Otherwise, the stock BIOS is booting which prevents backups from being read or homebrew apps (unsigned code) from being executed.

1 hour ago, WHECL said:

Will post as soon as I open it.

A question, is there anyway to install a "softmod" on the normal boot by using the modchip? For example with Slayers disc or HeXen?

Better wait to see which modchip is installed.  You may be able to modify it so it is always enabled so a short or long power button press will boot modded.  Most softmods and hardmods clash when both are installed resulting in a black screen when enabling the hardmod/modchip.