OGXbox.com

Philips Dvd Vad-6011/21 No Read

aries

Hello,

you can calibrate it. Remoce the drive from the Xbox. Remove the 4 screws. Remove bottom case. Then, unplug ribbon on the righ side on the board. Remove the 3 or 4 screews that maintain board. You can then see the 2 lens pot. With a multimeter, in ohm meter mode, you will read a value between 300 and 2000 ohm. 

Look at this for the image https://www.amazon.fr/Link-Lentille-remplacement-génération-compatible/dp/B01EJIW31W

The is the pot nearest the lens ribbon. First read the value, write it on your paper, if you read a value of 800 ohm, try 600 ohm (use a very tiny screwdriver, and mode not more than 5 minutes by 5 minutes, if you imaggine a clock, turn clockwise)

The last one I had in a broken Xbox had only 600 ohm on dvd, and after a full lens cleaning (Isopropilic alcohool), I put first 800, becasue I though it was dangerous a so low value. Then It did not anything more ! So I put back to 400 ohm, and now it is working well.

This is why, you will have first to test with your own original media and with burned media.

bye

Benur75

I've been trying to find a guide for Philips pot tweaking and your description of the technique is clearest I've found. Can you please post a screenshot (use that Amazon one if necessary) and clearly identify the points for reading the resistance value and the particular adjustment screw being referred too.

It is the thing in other guides that is not clear. In one YT video the guy mentions the points for taking the readings but does not actually show where they are or the location of the adjustment screw.

------------------------------------

On this matter I have two Philips both /21 and one of those was very picky about media including original Xbox discs. I kept it as a spare. Recently I bought a Xbox specifically for TSOPping which had a properly broken Samsung disc drive. I needed to see if it worked otherwise so rather than swapping in a known good disc drive I used the Philips. The original IDE cable was tatty and badly kinked so I replaced it with an 80 wire one despite it still using an IDE HDD.

Much to my surprise the Philips drive started working perfectly. It had originally come from a v1.4 and the new used,  now TSOPed, Xbox is also a v1.4 so the only change was that IDE cable.

Worth getting an 80 wire IDE cable just to test if it helps with your Philips' drive disc reading. That is if you're not already using one of course.       

Edited by HDShadow

20 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Benur75

I've been trying to find a guide for Philips pot tweaking and your description of the technique is clearest I've found. Can you please post a screenshot (use that Amazon one if necessary) and clearly identify the points for reading the resistance value and the particular adjustment screw being referred too.

It is the thing in other guides that is not clear. In one YT video the guy mentions the points for taking the readings but does not actually show where they are or the location of the adjustment screw.

------------------------------------

On this matter I have two Philips both /21 and one of those was very picky about media including original Xbox discs. I kept it as a spare. Recently I bought a Xbox specifically for TSOPping which had a properly broken Samsung disc drive. I needed to see if it worked otherwise so rather than swapping in a known good disc drive I used the Philips. The original IDE cable was tatty and badly kinked so I replaced it with an 80 wire one despite it still using an IDE HDD.

Much to my surprise the Philips drive started working perfectly. It had originally come from a v1.4 and the new used,  now TSOPed, Xbox is also a v1.4 so the only change was that IDE cable.

Worth getting an 80 wire IDE cable just to test if it helps with your Philips' drive disc reading. That is if you're not already using one of course.       

I disassembled the philips dvd drive, replaced laser lens unit but the problem is the same it does not read anything, to note that the two points on the new lens were not solder. Try with other IDE cable not working.

DVD.jpg

Edited by aries

The 2 solder tabs are meant to be UNsoldered  for use they are static protection for handling

It sound like the DVD drive board has failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

26 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The 2 solder tabs are meant to be UNsoldered  for use they are static protection for handling

It sound like the DVD drive board has failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The problem is caps? I took it apart the PCB looked in excellent condition.

Edited by aries

You will see I have circled some of many via points in black and to me they look suspect compared to the one's in yellow it looks a bit like something is corroding  the via point(via point is where the copper is plated through the hole to connect the trace on the other side)

3NSWoNg.thumb.jpg.0e3d6813e92127f1162c53eb7672a545.jpg

I would say the drive is toast

Cheers

SS Dave

8 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Does the laser light up?  When you power on the console, view the laser assembly from the side through a smartphone's camera.  You should be able to see if the laser turns on and off.  WARNING: DO NOT LOOK DIRECTLY INTO THE LASER!

No turn on laser with smatphone camera...

4 hours ago, Benur75 said:

Whatever you repair the drive or not, keep the dvd board as you will be able to use it in a softmoded install, because without dvd board you have an error. You can keep it for a slim xbox project.

bye

I would not even keep it for that.

Think of the spots I marked (and that was just some of the spots) as trace corrosion/rott and it's only going to get worse.

Cheers

SS Dave