OGXbox.com

Flashing a Modchip Bios for a Larger Hdd?

CO55Y

Hi Guys,

I currently have a 500gb hdd installed in my xbox (v1.2), but I'm planning on installing a 2tb hdd , and I just need some clarification on a couple of issues before I buy the larger hdd.

My modchip currently has the X2 4981.06 bios, and when I run XBPartitioner v1.3, it warns me that "LBA48 not found! custom partitions will not work with this BIOS! Update your BIOS to one which supports at least LBA48 version 2".

From what I've read, it sounds as though the hdd limit with this bios should be 137gb, however, as mentioned, I already have a 500gb hdd installed.

So my question is, do I actually need to update the bios in order to install a 2tb hdd, or will it function correctly with this bios?

I realise that updating the bios would be the easiest solution, however, the modchip is an X.B.I.T v1.0 with the external PCB which connects to a PC via USB to flash the bios. The flashing software requires winXP and specific USB host controllers, and so far, I haven't been able to get it work.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CO55Y

Hi CO55Y

Yes you will need to update the BIOS and you have 2 options 

1 with a bit of mucking around you could reflash the TSOP chip and use the IND 5003.67

2 Fit a new modchip

You could fit a Alddin chip and flash the IND5003.67 bios, or use a Open Xenium/Xenium ICE modchip and then you can use either the  X2-5035 or the IND 5003.

If you look around there are some 2nd hand chips like a X3,Dou X2,Duo X3 that will also work

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CO55Y said:

Thanks SS Dave, I'll look into flashing the TSOP.

Just out of interest, do you know what the largest size hdd is that I could use with the current bios?

137 gig would be the largest.

The simple way of flashing the TSOP would be install a softmod then disconnect the D0 wire and add the 2 links on the main board (R7D1 and R7D10) and that will force the Xbox to boot from the stock BIOS then you can reflash the TSOP with IND5003.67.bin as that's the only one that will fit on the TSOP and support a 2tb drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

10 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

137 gig would be the largest.

Thanks SS Dave, but this is where I'm confused though, as I currently have a 500gb hdd installed which works fine.

Edited by CO55Y
typo

There was some BIOS that allowed higher hard drives sizes (X2-4981) and you might be able to use a 1tb but to use a 2tb you will defiantly need a new bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks SS Dave, much appreciated.

In regard to flashing the TSOP, the modchip currently installed has dip switches on the external PCB, so I can actually disable the chip completely.

Instead of softmodding the xbox, could I bridge the solder pads for the TSOP flash, then boot using the chip, flash the TSOP, and then just turn the chip off (just so I still have the modchip installed in case anything goes wrong)?

Thanks.

No because if you boot from the LPC port(mod chip) that's the only thing that the BIOS flash programs can write too. To flash the TSOP you have to boot from the TSOP unless you have  a modchip with a recovery bios and you have to have links on 2 special spots on the main board that get removed during the boot process.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

With the .06 BIOS, I believe you can have 1 extended partition - 6, the F drive, up to 927.78GB's (When properly configured using XBPartitioner v1.3 to use 64KB cluster allocation) in addition to the stock 8GBs in C, E, X, Y, and Z - partitions 2, 1, 3, 4, 5.

To use a 2TB drive, you need a .67 BIOS. 

1 hour ago, Falcon639 said:

Is it not possible to just flash the modchip with another bios?

I was able to flash my aladin mod chip with another bios using hexen disc.

You can not flash your Xbit 1.0 modchip with Hexen you need to use the software it was supplied with and only if you can get the xbit software to work and to do that you will proberley need a windows 98 computer.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks for the info guys.

In regard to softmodding the xbox, I don't have the original stock hdd, only the 500gb hdd currently installed.

If I disabled the modchip, would the xbox even boot to allow me to install the softmod (even if the 500gb hdd was locked)?

Thanks.

I don't softmod but you should be able to still softmod the hard drive and then when it tries to boot it may get upset as hardmod and softmod don't play nice together but if that happen's disable the modchip and you should be good to go. Just make sure that you hard drive is locked.

Cheers

SS Dave