OGXbox.com

Controller-S Dismantling

HDShadow

I have  a couple of Controller-S with the same issue on the left joystick. It simply won't recenter correctly in both cases.

I've taken the controllers apart, cleaned out the mounting and even used some plastic friendly lubricant to try and get the stick to recenter consistently. There is clearly some wear and tear issue on one in particular as the mount for the joystick actually sticks when moved to the far left and won't spring back to the centre without manual help.

So I thought why not use the right stick mount from the other controller to replace the left one.

Here us the problem:-

The left stick mounting is over the left trigger mechanism which prevents access to the solder points underneath. The trigger mounting looks as though it is held in place by two tabs but despite all efforts there is clearly something else holding too. But what and is it possible to remove it to get access without damaging anything?

Will the replacement idea even work if there is a way of doing this?

4 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I have  a couple of Controller-S with the same issue on the left joystick. It simply won't recenter correctly in both cases.

I've taken the controllers apart, cleaned out the mounting and even used some plastic friendly lubricant to try and get the stick to recenter consistently. There is clearly some wear and tear issue on one in particular as the mount for the joystick actually sticks when moved to the far left and won't spring back to the centre without manual help.

So I thought why not use the right stick mount from the other controller to replace the left one.

Here us the problem:-

The left stick mounting is over the left trigger mechanism which prevents access to the solder points underneath. The trigger mounting looks as though it is held in place by two tabs but despite all efforts there is clearly something else holding too. But what and is it possible to remove it to get access without damaging anything?

Will the replacement idea even work if there is a way of doing this?

It might be good to post a pic of where you up to.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

The Controller-S is dismantled with the main PCB out and the joysticks removed.

The left joystick mechanism is on top of the PCB (obviously :) ) and I'm assuming is soldered in place underneath. Problem is, as said, the whole of the left trigger mounting frame prevents access to that. Unless it can be removed I can not see any way of getting at those solder points.

There may be problems removing the right stick mechanism too but for the time being I'm just interested in how/whether it is is possible to dismantled that left trigger mount. That is, without damaging it or anything else in the process. The same method is likely applicable to the right trigger too.

If I can get at the solder points I think it should be possible to desolder it with braid rather than use an electric solder sucker. Ones like that in the YT tutorial cost £25+ in the UK. There are cheaper alternatives but even those are approaching £20 with shipping.

I can get a boxed new one or two used MS Controller-S for that sort of money but thanks for the suggestion.

BTW:-

One of the reasons I got onto this idea was because I was replacing the left joystick (pads barely worn) in the three Controller-S I'd retired but kept for backup. Two fitted with far less worn thumb pads I thought I try an idea I read about on another forum several years ago.

That was to use PS/PSone/PS2/PS3 thumb sticks as replacements. I have plenty of those collected over 20 years from the many retired/broken examples I've kept for spares. It is about the one part of the Dualshock controllers that I never wore out.   

I couldn't quite believe it would work but even though you have to press the slightly too big 'head' fairly firmly to get it through the Controller-S case's thumb stick hole once done it mounts very firmly in place. Whilst the movement is marginally reduced  by the larger diameter joystick column it still works very well.

I finished a FPS I've been re-doing this week using it. Even though it takes a bit of time getting used to the feel of a convex thumb pad the firmness of the material and the slight extra height I'd say were actually beneficial.      

Edited by HDShadow