OGXbox.com

Hard Drive Clone/Swap Issue Please Help!

alexjames2320

Hello Guys, i have a softmoded Xbox console and i wanted to upgrade my Hard drive From the Stock To a 500GB Seagate Barracuda Drive,

I tried everything I connected the Molex power cable, 80 Wire Cable, loaded the Chimp app to try and get inside to do it but it just keeps saying " Unable to boot the first sector" I tried again and nothing worked, I have a normal SATA to ide adapter which shows light, I put Ito slave and still nothing happens, I Have an original controller and using an RGB Cable but still nothing, all i get is this message, can someone help me please?

Try plugging the SCART RGB cable in a non-RGB SCART TV socket if available. I've had Chimp problems using specific Xbox versions with particular TVs when using a SCART RGB cable. If this happens I swap to an AV Composite cable with SCART adapter as was supplied with the Xbox originally in PAL regions. But swapping to a non-RGB SCART socket should have the same effect if one of those is not available.

If you have any memory cards or USB devices it can affect Chimp. So disconnect them. If the Xbox is connected online - disconnect it too.

Check the jumpers on the primary HDD are set to Master rather than cable select. In the past there were reports using cable select could cause problems.

Can you boot Chimp 261812 normally ie. without swapping the IDE cable to the new HDD?  

Thanks a lot for your reply bro, I just tried everything, I get the same message all the times, can I just Upgrade my Hard drive straight away or I need the old IDE drive to do that? I was thinking if I can take with FTP the files from the IDE drive and put it on the Sata one, I am just desperate to change that drive as it has only 4GB or space and its annoying with the games. Please if you know any other solutions share it with me. All the best to you! 

10 hours ago, alexjames2320 said:

Hello Guys, i have a softmoded Xbox console and i wanted to upgrade my Hard drive From the Stock To a 500GB Seagate Barracuda Drive,

I tried everything I connected the Molex power cable, 80 Wire Cable, loaded the Chimp app to try and get inside to do it but it just keeps saying " Unable to boot the first sector" I tried again and nothing worked, I have a normal SATA to ide adapter which shows light, I put Ito slave and still nothing happens, I Have an original controller and using an RGB Cable but still nothing, all i get is this message, can someone help me please?

Sounds like your IDE-to-SATA adapter does not have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper setting.  Some have a jumper but it is not for selecting the IDE device the attached SATA drive is accessed at on the IDE bus.

Some IDE-to-SATA adapters are always the MASTER device.  To clone with Chimp 261812, the new hard drive has to be set as SLAVE.

I'm thinking there may have been a fundamental misunderstanding here from what was said in post #3.

alexjames2320: have you watched Rocky5's YT Chimp 261812 tutorial?

It just sounds as if you've connected up things incorrectly - I won't say what I think you might have done but that tutorial might help resolve this problem for you.

The tutorial is slightly out of date as the latest version of Chimp 261812: v1.01 changes the recommended IDE cable swap point, from the DVD drive to the new HDD, to the Chimp Loader screen. Personally I still prefer to swap whilst on the main dash. If you have done that just press A when that Chimp Loader IDE swap prompt screen appears.

Rocky5 doesn't actually show the cable swap technique so this alternative tutorial for Chimp 261812 v1.01 does, at least the technique required if not the actual hotswap from around 12'.00 onwards.

Edited by HDShadow

3 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I'm thinking there may have been a fundamental misunderstanding here from what was said in post #3.

alexjames2320: have you watched Rocky5's YT Chimp 261812 tutorial?

It just sounds as if you've connected up things incorrectly - I won't say what I think you might have done but that tutorial might help resolve this problem for you.

The tutorial is slightly out of date as the latest version of Chimp 261812: v1.01 changes the recommended IDE cable swap point, from the DVD drive to the new HDD, to the Chimp Loader screen. Personally I still prefer to swap whilst on the main dash. If you have done that just press A when that Chimp Loader IDE swap prompt screen appears.

Rocky5 doesn't actually show the cable swap technique so this alternative tutorial for Chimp 261812 v1.01 does, at least the technique required if not the actual hotswap from around 12'.00 onwards.

I Have followed his tutorial and still got the same issue, i am thinking of just doing the upgrade now straight away by installing the drive in the place of the IDE one.  Can i do that? i have the Hexen disk to fix the drive but is it going to work as i seen on youtube? I Just have a softmoded Xbox no TSOP or any other Flash methods. Thanks for your reply.

There is an alternative method. If you are able to connect your IDE Xbox HDD to your PC.

You'll need 2 programs xboxhdmusb23 and HDD raw copy tool.

On your rocky5 softmod, null you harddrive key. Then backup your eeprom and FTP it to your pc.

Then drop your eeprom into your xboxhdmusb23 folder. Next connect your xbox HDD to your PC and run the program xboxhd.bat from your xboxhdmusb23 folder. Use this program to unlock your hdd.

Next you want to run HDD Raw Copy Tool, Select you XBOX HDD as source, press continue. Next select "Double-click to open file", this will allow you to create a full clone backup of your Xbox HDD. Name it whatever you like, make it ".img" format. Once you have made a backup, go back to xboxhdmusb23 and lock your HDD again.

Now connect you next hdd to the pc and run HDD raw copy tool, Select "Double-click to open file" in the source menu, select your back up image of the xbox HDD. Press continue, select your new HDD as target and let it clone over. Then run xboxhd.bat in the xboxhdmusb23 folder and lock your drive. Now connect your drive to your xbox as the main HDD and it'll start up as if it was the original drive. You will then need to use xbpartitioner to get your additional HDD space.

Note: Xboxhdmusb23 only works with drives that are connected via usb. Also it is very important to drop your eeprom in the xboxhdmusb23 folder, otherwise you wont be able to lock and unlock your drives.

I hope this helps, it worked from me. It's a very different method but I think its better than the hotswap method.

If you have fitted a modchip or reflashed the TSOP it would have been done long ago.

The new hard drive could have been fitted and you use Hexen disk to set up you new hard disk

none of this tring to copy from a locked hard drive to a new hard drive then having to lock it. a total of 1 hour tops to do the whole thing.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

17 hours ago, Falcon639 said:

There is an alternative method. If you are able to connect your IDE Xbox HDD to your PC.

You'll need 2 programs xboxhdmusb23 and HDD raw copy tool.

On your rocky5 softmod, null you harddrive key. Then backup your eeprom and FTP it to your pc.

Then drop your eeprom into your xboxhdmusb23 folder. Next connect your xbox HDD to your PC and run the program xboxhd.bat from your xboxhdmusb23 folder. Use this program to unlock your hdd.

Next you want to run HDD Raw Copy Tool, Select you XBOX HDD as source, press continue. Next select "Double-click to open file", this will allow you to create a full clone backup of your Xbox HDD. Name it whatever you like, make it ".img" format. Once you have made a backup, go back to xboxhdmusb23 and lock your HDD again.

Now connect you next hdd to the pc and run HDD raw copy tool, Select "Double-click to open file" in the source menu, select your back up image of the xbox HDD. Press continue, select your new HDD as target and let it clone over. Then run xboxhd.bat in the xboxhdmusb23 folder and lock your drive. Now connect your drive to your xbox as the main HDD and it'll start up as if it was the original drive. You will then need to use xbpartitioner to get your additional HDD space.

Note: Xboxhdmusb23 only works with drives that are connected via usb. Also it is very important to drop your eeprom in the xboxhdmusb23 folder, otherwise you wont be able to lock and unlock your drives.

I hope this helps, it worked from me. It's a very different method but I think its better than the hotswap method.

This will be really good if it works, unfortunately i do not have a way to connect the IDE drive to my PC i ordered a an adapter to do that when it comes i will try, this hard disk swap thing came to be more hard than i thought.

20 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Was the 500GB drive already used in another computer - it has a filesystem on it already?

If so, wipe it clean using HDDGuru's HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool or delete the partitions currently present with Windows' Disk Management tool.

Hi Kaos, yes it was a clean formatted when i received it i think it's FAT32 i will try and the thing you have told me and then try again hit Hotswap method and Chimp or do something else? this is the issue the drive showed when i checked it.

ice_screenshot_20200429-161607.png

I don't understand that S.M.A.R.T. data.  I see reallocated sectors count Current = 100 and Worst = 100 but the raw value only states 30.  So, why's it say 100 for Current. 

I think some values are in percentages thus Current is 100% reallocated sectors which is actually 30 sectors that have been reallocated.  ??? I don't know.  And, the threshold of reallocated sectors for a bad drive is 36 which you are near with 30 reallocated already.

I personally think no filesystem should be present on the drive. It should not be formatted to FAT, FAT32, NTSF etc.  It should be a drive void of such filesystem info.  That's what the low-level format tool does.  Wipes it clean.

Reallocated sector count error is a sign of a dying HDD. Its basically indicating that there is an area on the disk that is no longer safe to store data. The drive will continue to work but there is a high probability of data corruption and will eventually lead to drive failure.

3 hours ago, Falcon639 said:

Reallocated sector count error is a sign of a dying HDD. Its basically indicating that there is an area on the disk that is no longer safe to store data. The drive will continue to work but there is a high probability of data corruption and will eventually lead to drive failure.

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I don't understand that S.M.A.R.T. data.  I see reallocated sectors count Current = 100 and Worst = 100 but the raw value only states 30.  So, why's it say 100 for Current. 

I think some values are in percentages thus Current is 100% reallocated sectors which is actually 30 sectors that have been reallocated.  ??? I don't know.  And, the threshold of reallocated sectors for a bad drive is 36 which you are near with 30 reallocated already.

I personally think no filesystem should be present on the drive. It should not be formatted to FAT, FAT32, NTSF etc.  It should be a drive void of such filesystem info.  That's what the low-level format tool does.  Wipes it clean.

Yes this is what CEX sent me here in the UK i will try and give it back to them but i thought let's see first if this works with the Xbox and then i will take it back as this is a failing hard drive.

I Will try and do the low level format Kaos and then i will try once more with chimp and hot swap method, if that works hopefuly i will put it in place and wait for the replacment if not i am going to wait for the ide adapter to try Falcon's way, i am so desperate to upgrade that hard drive as the old one is so small.

I would not waste your time on that hard drive as it could fail at any time then all you work and the new files you copy to it will be lost.

Send it back and get a different hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys i am back again, the issue I have here is that I do the hot swap method, launch chimp and it gives me error 21. I have tried so many times, I got the SATA to Ide adapter to Slave I start with the 80wire ribbon cable to the Disk drive and then to the new hard drive but when I load Chimp is not working. My New hard drive is working I did a low level format on my PC and is all cleaned now but still I cannot get it to do open with Chimp. what I am doing wrong?

Just to add i installed chimp and when i opened the xbox with WINSCP to see the files i had to folders on E/Apps And E/Applications

i erased E/Apps and just kept E/Applications Chimp

I can't help much more as I only clone in a stand alone drive cloner (2tb under 3 hours).

Seriously a modchip (version 1.6)or a TSOP flash (version 1.0-1.4) and then use a install disk.

Your are putting a lot of work in to cloning a stock drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I can't help much more as I only clone in a stand alone drive cloner (2tb under 3 hours).

Seriously a modchip (version 1.6)or a TSOP flash (version 1.0-1.4) and then use a install disk.

Your are putting a lot of work in to cloning a stock drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

ok i want to try Falcons method with XboxHDM23 Do you know how to connect my IDE Xbox drive to pc i have one of these adapters from IDE TO Sata  but i have no idea how the connections need to be.

Ka3ZMDZxwrS6uUg-2f4-2bOprA-3d-3d.jpg

2 minutes ago, alexjames2320 said:

ok i want to try Falcons method with XboxHDM23 Do you know how to connect my IDE Xbox drive to pc i have one of these adapters from IDE TO Sata  but i have no idea how the connections need to be.

Ka3ZMDZxwrS6uUg-2f4-2bOprA-3d-3d.jpg

That is for a motherboard to single Sata drive or single IDE (Pata)to motherboard.

From memory the Sata connector next to the white power connector in Sata drive and the other is Sata main board.

It is good if you a making a DVD drive less slim Xbox.

What version Xbox are you working on ??

Cheers

SS Dave

18 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That is for a motherboard to single Sata drive or single IDE (Pata)to motherboard.

From memory the Sata connector next to the white power connector in Sata drive and the other is Sata main board.

It is good if you a making a DVD drive less slim Xbox.

What version Xbox are you working on ??

Cheers

SS Dave

Lol, im done i will quit man literally i spent so much time with this think, i should have got an IDE drive no adapters no nothing.