OGXbox.com

Anyone Seen This Screen Distortion Before? Video

Mavox1

Yep..thats what happened to me. The three large caps by the heatsink . I believe they are 6.3V 3300uF but don't quote me on that. Mine had rounded blown out tops. Check to see if yours look that way. Maybe other things will cause this. I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gray1 said:

You got any bad capacitors in that xbox?

56 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Yep the caps near the heat sink have failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

42 minutes ago, Gray1 said:

Yep..thats what happened to me. The three large caps by the heatsink . I believe they are 6.3V 3300uF but don't quote me on that. Mine had rounded blown out tops. Check to see if yours look that way. Maybe other things will cause this. I don't know.

Big thanks. Could anyone point me in the right direction on where to start? I just starting learning to FTP recently lmao. 

First open up the Xbox and look at the capacitors. See if the top of the caps are swelled. They should be flat and not swelled like the first picture. They should look like the second picture. The three next to the heatsink are the prime suspects. But I would check them all since you have it out.

bad-capacitors-computer-repair-wilmington-nc.jpg

1.6.jpg

Edited by Gray1
add picture
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gray1 said:

First open up the Xbox and look at the capacitors. See if the top of the caps are swelled. They should be flat and not swelled like the first picture. They should look like the second picture. The three next to the heatsink are the prime suspects. But I would check them all since you have it out.

bad-capacitors-computer-repair-wilmington-nc.jpg

1.6.jpg

Much appreciated. I decide before cracking it open to try some other troubleshooting.

2 things.

The first is I was able to find my old composite cables. I found zero flickering using these.

The other thing is the green plug on the component cable. I messed around with it for maybe 10 minutes and found that a certain spot twisting it improves the flickering. Now, it does a single, more intense flicker every 20-30 seconds instead that double flicker every 3-5 seconds. 

Not sure if that helps anyone understand if its actually the caps failing. 

Edited by Mavox1

How new is the TV?  I am a firm believer in doing no harm so no problem in more troubleshooting. Try a different TV if you can. See if that makes any difference. Make sure 480p and 720P are enabled in the settings. Is this stock or a softmod?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Gray1 said:

How new is the TV?  I am a firm believer in doing no harm so no problem in more troubleshooting. Try a different TV if you can. See if that makes any difference. Make sure 480p and 720P are enabled in the settings. Is this stock or a softmod?

It's a softmod and 480p and 720p are enabled. My other TV went out about a month back or I would try that.The one I'm currently using is about 1 year old LG, I use it for ps4 gaming, never get any flickering from anything but the xbox, and even now that is really reduced after messing around with the green connector. 

• 1 month later...

Update

I cracked open the system and did not see the bad capacitors. Another thing I did was tried standard AV cables, no flickering at all. This only occurs at 480p or above with cheap and high quality components, but with all games at that resolution. Could it be the component port on the TV causing an issue? The flickering is better if I mess with the inputs near the TV, but still occurs.

Edited by Mavox1

The only sure test would be test on a different TV.

The cap's can look ok but still be faulty and be leaking from the bottom but in your case I would say the lead is the problem .

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:
16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The only sure test would be test on a different TV.

The cap's can look ok but still be faulty and be leaking from the bottom but in your case I would say the lead is the problem .

Cheers

SS Dave

The lead as in something outside the box itself right? Thank you

• 1 year later...

I am having an issue where there are artifacts all over the screen and the video cuts out every second to a blue screen . At the top right of my tv is something that says : AV, NTSC this happens in games and the menu. This makes the original Xbox I have unplayable , any ideas? Or is it gone

i have tested with Multiple av cables, power cables and tv’s. Same issue

dash version : .39.0528A Build 584

Wish I could attach a 4 second video to explain it better 

Edited by Cgggg
Added more info

3 hours ago, Cgggg said:

I am having an issue where there are artifacts all over the screen and the video cuts out every second to a blue screen . At the top right of my tv is something that says : AV, NTSC this happens in games and the menu. This makes the original Xbox I have unplayable , any ideas? Or is it gone

Perhaps the video encoder chip is faulty, ball joint on the graphics chip or otherwise faulty graphics chip. I've never seen capacitors cause video to fail in such a way myself but you never know.

Probably wouldn't hurt to reflow but I have my doubts and would lean more towards a faulty chip where you'd need a reflow station to remove and change.

Sell it as a parts board or whole parts console online if you're thinking of getting rid of it.

Edit: Could also be a perfect contender for the XboxHD+ if it were to be encoder chip
https://makemhz.com/products/xboxhd

Edited by Lina_Inverse_

6 hours ago, Cgggg said:

You can upload the video to a file share or you tube and post the link here.

I have seen the main filter cap's ( the ones next to the GPU/CPU)cause that issue as well.

Is the Xbox hard modded or soft modded?

What video output have you set in the M$ dash?

What AV lead Component or Composite ?

Try disabling  720, 1080

Cheers

SS Dave