OGXbox.com

Component Cable Question

I'm getting a shimmer/interference and a line slowly moving vertically on screen, using component cable. What are the thoughts on cause & fix?

I read the best visual out for xbox original is component, so I ebayed a component cable, plugged in. (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1080p-Component-HD-TV-RCA-AV-Cable-Cord-Lead-For-Original-Xbox/143318317450)

I checked TV supports YPbPr. (manual https://assets.kogan.com/files/usermanuals/KALED55UHDUA-A.pdf)

I've wiggled the connections, and tried green only - the same shimmer&line. 

Also the TV says 576i@50hz, I thought component would do 480p?

The composite cable it came with works ok, but looking to improve on quality.

Thanks

20200508_161834.jpg

Your Xbox must still be set to PAL mode.  To do higher resolutions, you will need to switch it to NTSC and enable 480p and 720p in the MS dashboard video settings.  (The Xbox application EnigmaH Video Select 2 is used to switch the Xbox's video output between PAL and NTSC modes.)

PAL consoles can only output a maximum of 576i@50 or 60Hz.

Edit: I don't believe those cheap component cables sold on eBay etc use the proper cabling for the high-speed component video signals.  They should be using 75 Ohm shielded RG-59/U coaxial cable for the Y, Pr and Pb signals.  Most likely, they are using an unshielded pair of wires which works okay for low-bandwidth analog audio signals but not the much higher bandwidth video signals which results in the interference you are seeing on the screen.

• Like 1

these cables suck. you have to DIY. i think the problem with this cable is splitter at the end, it uses 4 contact two sided board, 5 contacts = 10 soldering points. that bread board only have 8 points and is poorly designed. And i think crosstalk and other magnetic phenomenons happens there, not in the cable itself, since it's twisted pair, braided core.

Edited by prtscn
  • Like 1

Thanks for your responses. I butchered the eBay component cable for the connector - no shielding and the ground for everything comes from audio (pic attached).ebay component cabple.jpg

I made a breakout box with only component connections + component grounds. (all wires go through a ferrite donut, thick wires). 

xbox original component breakout.jpg

The horizontal line which moved vertically is gone! 😀 (as seen in pic first post) but..... the shimmering is still there 🤔 (short vid clip attached)
The breakout box is straight through wiring, this couldn't be the cause could it?

I thought maybe 3RCA<->3RCA component cable (eBay again) might be the problem, I made 3 separate RCA cables using 75 ohm RG59 coaxial cable (thick and shielded) but the shimmer is still there.

I'm starting to suspect interference from bad caps in xbox. I found an old post on another forum reporting shaky screen problems, and they replaced the capacitors near the GPU but don't mention which caps. I'll open xbox tomorrow and have a look.

Any thoughts on shimmer culprit? next step?

thanks!

Edited by corona2222
more detail

That part is a inductor and it looks normal, It's the composite video signal filter so nothing to do with component.

You also need to set the Xbox video to NTSC then you can enable 480p,720p. You can use Xblast to set that.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

thanks for confirming. I assume the shimmery disturbance will be present on HD modes (using the same component out) but HD modes are next on my list.

I picked up a cheap faulty but working xbox today - swap parts to narrow down the screen disturbance, and a xbox360 AV cable to cut up, and wii2hdmi adapter to try. 

Will post results soon.

• 4 weeks later...

update: 

I made an xbox360<->original component adapter, and an wii2hdmi<->xbox adapter. 

I've set my v1.0 xbox to NTSC via writing eeprom. booted in 480 the wavey screen distortion (different from line jitters) is not present when using wii2hdmi with NTSC so thats a small win. (it wasn't present on xbox360 component cable either which suggests a timing issue with the combination my of PAL/wii2hdmi/xbox/TV, but not a problem now I'm using NTSC).

I still get line jitters with both adapters as seen in the previous vid clip - definitely a bad electric component in my v1.0 xbox,  I've tested all the big and medium caps in xbox with in circuit ESR meter, which says they're all ok....hmmm. Yet to do surface mount caps.

Also fixing the faulty v1.6 xbox was easy, it only needed a replacement band in the DVD to make the tray eject again. Annoyingly I discovered its too different to just easily swap bits over, anyway I will try eliminating any ripple from the power supply causing the v1.0 screen jitters by converting the v1.6 power supply or an PC ATX PSU soon and report back.

Edited by corona2222

yeah I was hoping I could just swap things over, bought an xbox not knowing what version but assuming they're much the same inside, but just my luck I get v1.6 - probably the most different from a v1.0 😂

I will make PSU adapter. Theres an excellent PSU thread with pin out and wiring diagram for ATX to 1.0 here: 

Edited by corona2222

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 3:28 AM, OtakuAnthony said:

This is another option if you want to use a Component cable just not from a Xbox.  This allows you use to use a Wii Component cable to connect it to your Xbox.  I've used it a few times myself and really enjoyed it. https://consoles4you.ch/xbox2wii-component-adapter

That's a quite good idea.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.