OGXbox.com

Rocky5 Softmod Failed To Install

HDShadow

Came across this on another Xbox forum: guy tried to softmod with Rocky5's XBSMT using AUF. Installer worked to a point but at the stage where you're meant to reboot, eject the game disc and the softmod install completes he forgot to eject the AUF disc, it booted and the softmod did not complete.

Result blank screen and from the sound of it the Xbox is still effectively in retail state but now without the retail MS dashboard. It cold boots original game discs including AUF but running the exploit again just reboots the console and the game reloads.

It apparently won't cold boot burned discs, getting that confirmed just to be sure, but it means he can't use Rocky5's Xtras disc or any other recovery disc. The poster also said he tried to run a dash-updater afterwards to restore the original MS dash but 'it did not work'. I'm skeptical about that and am concerned it might have added another level of complexity to the problem.

Likely no eeprom backup available but, again, that has to be confirmed.  

What to do?

My thought in the absence of other better advice is to delete the AUF game saves and try with SC or MechAssault or TH4 but I know from my own experience that re-softmodding like that does not always work, the games have a tendency to reboot rather that launch the installer.      

Edited by HDShadow

I seen this is FB, reloads this disc doesn’t do anything to the process. As soon as you remove the disc it will restart and continue on with the install process. 

So the reason I say to remove the disc is just that, so it can continue the process. 

Something else has gone on, I had to update the source the other day to stop people building it themselves as different computers do different things. So if you run a bat file it takes you to the prebuilt files now. 

But back to the issue, he needs to hit swap it, plain and simple. 

Sorry.... swap what? I think there's been some misunderstanding.

He accidentally forgot to eject the disc at the relevant point, that's problem. The AUF disc rebooted and, he says, that resulted in the blank screen and no GUI situation he now has.

As said I'm suspicious that he has added to the problems by trying to use a dashupdater.xbe (from Halo 2) but that was, apparently, after he had retried using the installer and AUF just rebooted when he clicked on the Load Mission option.

11 hours ago, Acidmank said:

You're asking here for help to use on another forum.?   Thats not good Karma    

Actually its very good karma - its called being helpful. The original Xbox using community is much larger than this one forum.

It also distributes useful information to a much wider audience and perhaps reduces the number of posts repeating questions that have been answered many times before.

18 hours ago, HDShadow said:

He accidentally forgot to eject the disc at the relevant point, that's problem. The AUF disc rebooted and, he says, that resulted in the blank screen and no GUI situation he now has.

Like I said this does nothing to the install process. When he did eject the disc it would continue to the process. So he could leave the disc in for years and play 007 for years and when he starts the Xbox up without the disc it would continue and install the softmod. As at that stage in the process the Xbox is already softmodded, I just do some cleanup and file processing at stage 2. (If it weren’t softmodded I couldn’t do stage 2)

so something else has gone wrong here, either the files he built weren’t built properly or the save wasn't transferred correctly to the Xbox. Unfortunately UnleashX doesn’t care if a file is missing or not there, it will just make a folder if the file doesn’t exist and there is nothing I can do about it other than the end user making sure the source built properly or do what I have been saying and even put on my github. USE THE PREBUILT FILES. (I build the files and upload them so you the user don’t need to)

• Like 2