OGXbox.com

Ide To Sata Adapter

Bjbkar

It depends how you plan on using it.  Cloning with Chimp 261812 - no - it needs to have a MASTER/SLAVE jumper to configure it to SLAVE mode when cloning then back to MASTER once the new drive has been prepped.  

Using a new hard drive with the TSOP reflashed with a modded BIOS or a modchip is installed - yes it will work okay.  Connect the new HDD and adapter in place of the original hard drive and boot an installer disk such as HeXEn 2018 or 2019 to format and prep the new hard drive.

Also depends on the IDE cable. Some cheap IDE to SATA adapters only work well with 80-wire IDE cables, as opposed to the standard 40-wire IDE cable the Xbox comes with. I've never had much luck obtaining straight flat 80-wire IDE cables with the correct length that bend properly, and they often liked to move themselves in the way of the rear screw during reassembly and get themselves broken with a screw right through the middle!
I've had much better luck with round-ribbon 80-wire IDE cables as they are much more flexible to fit in the case.
The problem is the short end is often wired intended for 'master', long end wired for 'slave'. This means I can't use Cable-Select mode since the short end will only reach the DVD drive which must be 'slave', while the HDD on the right (which is furthest from the IDE connector on the bottom left of the motherboard) is meant to be 'master'. This means I have to use an IDE to SATA adapter that allows selecting 'master' or 'slave' manually. The DVD drive is already hard-set as 'slave' internally.
Just thought I should mention this!
Example 45cm round ribbon 80 wire IDE cable I use: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362614729776
268652703_roundribbonide.jpg.baa942851bf223660a40a950780b2434.jpg

Edited by samspin

23 hours ago, Bjbkar said:

i bought a cheap adapter on ebay. it doesnt have a master/slave adjustment. is that needed? 

I had originally bought the cheaper adapter on Amazon that didn't have a master/slave jumper. It worked fine for me in my TSOP flashed XBOX, however it would take an extra 30 seconds or so on boot before it would continue booting. I had originally thought it was just a a fact of life using a 2TB SATA drive, maybe extra spin up or initialization time or something. Then one day while working on an LED mod I had the XBOX apart and the DVD drive disconnected. Magically it booted immediately! Turns out the problem was the adapter defaulting to cable select, which took the extra 30-45 seconds to detect the drive when both IDE connecters were used. I bought the slightly more expensive adapter from Amazon that has a master/slave jumper and now the system boots immediately even with the DVD drive connected.

So yeah, the cheaper one should work fine as long as you don't mind waiting the extra time for the drive to be detected (though I can't guarantee all adapters without the jumper will actually work), but I definitely recommend getting one with master/slave selection either way. Also worth noting that I did have to use an 80 wire cable as @samspin mentioned. It didn't work with the original 40 wire cable (I never tested it again on the new adapter, but I think they all require 80 wire).

The adapter I ended up using that worked the best was the one from StarTech (though I bet there are various rebadged versions of the same thing). Here's the Amazon link to the exact one I bought: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOJNGC2

@samspin thanks for the cable recommendation! I did manage to find a cable that I could make fit, but it's really messy and annoying to bend correctly. I'll look into getting one of those cables you're using, it looks much neater!

On 5/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, einsteinx2 said:

The adapter I ended up using that worked the best was the one from StarTech (though I bet there are various rebadged versions of the same thing). Here's the Amazon link to the exact one I bought: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B00EOJNGC2

I usually use the same StarTech one, I've found them to be the fastest- both in terms of startup time and stability during FTP transfers, and most reliable. Sadly though the price has gone up from £8 each to around double that since the COVID19 outbreak began. My last order for two of those at that price magically went missing in the post recently. I'm now back to trying my luck with cheaper ones. I'll post back in here with my results and a link to a listing if I have any luck with them once they arrive.

Edited by samspin

10 hours ago, samspin said:

I usually use the same StarTech one, I've found them to be the fastest- both in terms of startup time and stability during FTP transfers, and most reliable. Sadly though the price has gone up from £8 each to around double that since the COVID19 outbreak began. My last order for two of those at that price magically went missing in the post recently. I'm now back to trying my luck with cheaper ones. I'll post back in here with my results and a link to a listing if I have any luck with them once they arrive.

I didn't try any other adapter, but in my case, with the startech one I just have the exact same boot time as the previous IDE HDD.

I just transferred the exact same files I had on the old disk to the new one (so, they are "equal" in terms of data), and it boots without delays. Works very good. Now I just put inside the old IDE HDD because I don't need extra space at the moment, but at least I checked that it was working good.

Paid 19,90€ for it a week ago. Not cheap for sure, but it's ok.

• 2 years later...

just getting back in to the xbox scene after a number of years away..
only had one of my old adapters laying around so ordered more..

Just a word to the wise.

there are some pretty weak adapters out there now.
they dont have a C/S jumper / bridge point. usually a green pcb. they work to an extent...
as usuall they need a 80 wire ide cable "no biggie, your gonna want to grab one of those any way" BUT the funny thing is how they interact with the xbox,
(this may not be the same for later revisions"  but on the 1.1 i am currently working on. if i use the new adapters they will boot up fine but the dvd drive cannot read any disks while it is connected.

i have tried to force them in to cable select by soldering to pin 28 on the ide connector and going directly to the correct pin on the TQFP (im gonna say its pin 40 possibly 30?) didnt count them i dunno its diagonally away from pin 1 you will find it if needed..
But even that does not allow them to read from the dvd..

they only have 1 jumper point "bridged or not" for master or slave. and will not work at all if set to the wrong one "as expected"

they may work on a 1.6 xbox I have no idea. 1.2 is the most recent xbox i have available right now
these are the EXACT adapters i am talking about.. (i would reccomend to avoid them if you want to use the dvd drive) but work fine if you dont.

avoid.png