OGXbox.com

Error Code 06!

Salts

Hi, hoping to get some help with an og Xbox giving error code 06. 

Had not touched the 120gb HDD since it was installed way back in 04.

Machine has a modchip with on/off switch, but the error 06 appears in both modes. From what I can tell the chip is working, as the error page looks different in each mode. 

The clock cap did leak but I have since removed it and cleaned the area. from what I can tell no other components were damaged. 

Have tried to go boot with Hexen on DVD-R and DVD+R but have had not luck getting it to fire. It just goes straight to error page.

I have access to a pc with IDE, but not another Xbox. 

Just seeing if there’s any other ideas out there.

Cheers 

18 minutes ago, prtscn said:

Yeah, you need IDE to USB adapter, eeporm backup (HDD key inside).

Modchip bios bypass these checks. Probably you should focus in fixing modchip first.

Ah right, mod chip stuffed maybe? See photo of it. (Not intalled by me). 

How would I go about diagnosing this? 

2CC0999C-0286-4743-B561-73BCD02B4C71.jpeg

55 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

It's a cheap mod wired as a dead bug.

Check to make sure the wire on the bottom is still connected and blow the dust of it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks Dave,

you mean the wire on the underside of the motherboard?

That’s attached to a rocker switch.

That’s definitely still connected as the error page changes depending on the rocker switch position. 

The error code is 06 on both modes, but the page changes. 

mod chip off: ‘your Xbox needs service’

mod chip on: ‘whoops, something went wrong’ and error code causes are given. 

Edited by Salts
Max posts

On 5/4/2020 at 10:00 AM, prtscn said:

Yeah, you need IDE to USB adapter, eeporm backup (HDD key inside).

Modchip bios bypass these checks. Probably you should focus in fixing modchip first.

I’d like to have a go at unlocking the HDD, then hopefully i can boot straight off the unlocked HDD if the chip is working. 

If not I’ll assume the chip is fried. 

Is there a reliable way to unlock without eeprom info and without a booting box? 

Edited by Salts

On 5/5/2020 at 1:13 AM, Salts said:

Have tried again with 2 different hard drives. Still just goes to the error page. 

The error code does change to 16 though. 

Not sure what to try next... 

error 16 - dashboard error. Try inserting hexen disk.

Edited by prtscn

13 minutes ago, prtscn said:

error 16 - dashboard error. Try inserting hexen disk.

Thanks mate, but have tried to get it to boot with hexen disk which are burnt on both DVD-R and DVD+R. Just can’t get it to boot. 

It is sounding like the D0 wire is not working

With D0 connected on a test Xbox and no mod chip I get a quick power on then it shuts down can you bypass the switch or link the D0 wire straight to ground and not via the switch.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Whether the HDD is or is not locked is almost certainly irrelevant. If the chip is working the lock status shouldn't make any difference and any discs, original retail games discs or burned ones (DVD-R) should cold boot on a chipped machine, its pretty much what it is there for as prtscn has already said.

The chip or its connections are most likely broken. Whether it is a 'simple' repair like SS_Dave says it could be or not who knows but I think it would be a sensible idea to replace that horror with an Aladdin type or better. We get so many posts here and on other Xbox forums urging users to 'update' or 'upgrade' their softmods or dashboards for various and not always good reasons. But this looks like an obvious candidate for a chip upgrade particularly in the circumstances.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

Whether the HDD is or is not locked is almost certainly irrelevant. If the chip is working the lock status shouldn't make any difference and any discs, original retail games discs or burned ones (DVD-R) should cold boot on a chipped machine, its pretty much what it is there for as prtscn has already said.

The chip or its connections are most likely broken. Whether it is a 'simple' repair like SS_Dave says it could be or not who knows but I think it would be a sensible idea to replace that horror with an Aladdin type or better. We get so many posts here and on other Xbox forums urging users to 'update' or 'upgrade' their softmods or dashboards for various and not always good reasons. But this looks like an obvious candidate for a chip upgrade particularly in the circumstances.  

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

It is sounding like the D0 wire is not working

With D0 connected on a test Xbox and no mod chip I get a quick power on then it shuts down can you bypass the switch or link the D0 wire straight to ground and not via the switch.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks Guys,

Managed to resolder the D0 connection and it and make a direct connection to ground, but it was still showing error 6.

If i change the chip over, will i need to make any software changes? (assuming the HDD is still functional)

Also, does anyone have Aladdin in Australia, im guessing an ebay order could take months to arrive (if at all) given current circumstances.

Cheers,

Edited by Salts
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Salts said:

Thanks Guys,

Managed to resolder the D0 connection and it and make a direct connection to ground, but it was still showing error 6.

If i change the chip over, will i need to make any software changes? (assuming the HDD is still functional)

Cheers,

You should be right to unsolder that mod chip and solder in a new chip and be up and running 

You could use a Aladdin or a Open Xenium without any problems and both can have the BIOS updated as the chip that is there can not be updated and you are  limited to a max HDD of 137 gig

If you are fitting a Aladdin chip I suggest you link the BT on the modchip to pin 2 (GND) to male the chip always active.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2020 at 11:24 PM, SS_Dave said:

You should be right to unsolder that mod chip and solder in a new chip and be up and running 

You could use a Aladdin or a Open Xenium without any problems and both can have the BIOS updated as the chip that is there can not be updated and you are  limited to a max HDD of 137 gig

If you are fitting a Aladdin chip I suggest you link the BT on the modchip to pin 2 (GND) to male the chip always active.

Cheers

SS Dave

So being the impatient prick I am, I’ve replaced the HDD with a sata ide converter and rebuilt with clean C and E files and eeprom file obtained through a reader. 

Ive got it to boot, it works about 4 out of 5 times but the DVD drive won’t work so can’t run hexen. 

I Want to intall unleashx, can I just replace the dash by changing the xbe files in C? 

16 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I take it that it is now softmodded?

Will it boot with that switch in both positions ?

And what version is the Xbox?

Cheers

SS Dave

Nah not softmodded, I’ve just left the old mod chip connected but the switch was removed.

It’s a 1.1 MB. 

I would softmod it then add the 2 links to the board and then boot with the D0 disconnected and reflash the onboard TSOP with a  X2-5035 BIOS then you can scrap that modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would softmod it then add the 2 links to the board and then boot with the D0 disconnected and reflash the onboard TSOP with a  X2-5035 BIOS then you can scrap that modchip.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks mate, 

before I try that though, I wouldn’t mind rebuilding the c drive with hb dash installed. Could you send me a copy of modded c : folder? 

now that you have it running try and boot from the hexen you made before and remember that hexen can take upto 60 seconds to load.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

now that you have it running try and boot from the hexen you made before and remember that hexen can take upto 60 seconds to load.

Cheers

SS Dave

Strangely, when MS dash boots the DVD drive won’t open, light just flashes.