OGXbox.com

Softmod - Swapping Hard Drives

Buckets172

I appreciated everyone helping in the other thread to be me where I am on my old Xbox! I have a question regarding swapping drives.

Here is what I have:

XBOX A

Old xbox originally soft modded in the early 2000's. Has a 200 GB drive in it with all my games. I have re-softmodded it to the Rocky Softmod. I did not Null the hard drive when i did the Rocly soft mod (I may have done it when i originally modded this thing 15+ years ago).

Xbox B

Xbox I just bought. Has the factory hard drive in it. I have used the Rocky soft mod on this box and have nulled the hard drive.

Can I swap the hard drive from Xbox A into Xbox B by just disconnecting and plugging it in? I want to do this because Xbox A has corrosion issues and just randomly turns off.

Should I null the hard drive in Xbox A before doing this? 

Any help would be appreciated!

9 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

You can't swap the hard drive until you have NULLed both of the consoles' HDDKeys and relocked the hard drive with the new key value.

The NKPatcher Settings app in Rocky5's softmod has a menu selection to allow you to do so.

Are there any online tutorials on how to do this so that I don't accidentally screw up the hard drive?

Run NKPatcher Settings then select menu item

• 2. EEPROM
    • 2.1 Advanced Settings
      • 2.1.1 Hard Drive
        • NULL Key

Hmm, this video's old and does not show the latest display seen when NULLing the HDD key. 

P.S. I'll update with the newer video when I find the correct one.   

Edit: I have not been able to locate such a video. :(  And, the one previously attached doesn't show the new version's status display during the HDD unlock / HDDKey NULL / HDD Re-lock operation justice so I removed it.

Ok I've done a bunch of research and looks like I need to use the method below. My question is:

Remember my plan was to take the drive from XBOX A and put it into XBOX B. I have already Null keyed and relocked the drive in XBOX B. This drive is the one from XBOX A.

Should I lock the drive with the EEPROM from the unlocked drive which is in XBOX A (the error 5 drive) that I;m going to move to XBOX B or should I just get the EEPROM key from the drive in XBOX B and then lock this drive with EEPROM from XBOX B so that it can be used immediately in XBOX B?

Also is this the correct method for me to use:

HDD.PNG

I went out and bought the following to make the connection for the unlocked drive to work on my PC:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01I1G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I downloaded Xplorer 360 to my computer. I got thru all of the BS of getting Xplorer360 to work by downloading the extra files and sticking them in Sys32/64 folders. Now Xplorer open but every time I try to open a drive via Xplorer it says "Could not find a FATX drive to open!"

The drive also doesn't show up when I plug into the computer in the windows explorer windows.

I am using (and only have) Windows 10 machines. Is that why I can't see the drive anywhere or is there something else I am missing?

Not even sure where I would find an XP machine at this point...

Use XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 to lock the hard drive.  Place a copy of the eeprom.bin file for the Xbox you wish to lock the HDD for in the folder where you extract the XboxHDM23USB archive to. The file, xboxhd.bat, is located in the folder you place the eeprom.bin file in.

Xplorer360 does not lock/unlock a hard drive.  Only writes content to a FATX formatted drive.

It does have a power supply and I know it is on because I can hear it. When I go to storage manager I can see the drive but I can not see the drive in the windows explorer window. 

I was hoping when i plugged it in I could see the drive and that it would show unlocked.

It's very straight forward how to lock and unlock an Xbox hard drive with it.

Start XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 by double-clicking in Windows Explorer on the xboxhd.bat file.  Allow any UAC queries to allow the program to run.

From the menu, first list drives to make sure that the software sees the attached Xbox drive.

Press enter as prompted to return to the main menu.  Select the option to Lock the hard drive.  Select the drive to lock and press enter.

3 minutes ago, Buckets172 said:

It does have a power supply and I know it is on because I can hear it. When I go to storage manager I can see the drive but I can not see the drive in the windows explorer window. 

I was hoping when i plugged it in I could see the drive and that it would show unlocked.

You will not see it in Windows Explorer.  It is not formatted with a filesystem that Windows recognizes.  You have to run XboxHDM23USB to be able to lock the hard drive.

Edit: The Beta 3 version of XboxHDM23USB has a menu option to check the current lock status of the hard drive.

From the first picture, you must place a copy of the Xbox's eeprom.bin file that you want to lock the drive to in the folder where you run xboxhd.bat (XboxHDM23USB Beta 3) from.

yes, the hard drive is unlocked - ATA Security: Disabled.  The NOT FROZEN part is good too.  It means your PC's BIOS has not sent a FREEZE command to the hard drive which would prohibit the hard drive from being locked.

Good to hear! 

So I’m trying to get the EEPROM file from the Xbox B. I want to do that by FTPing in and getting a copy off the drive in the E/Backup folder. 

The problem is that when I boot Xbox B (which is soft nodded and works fine) it shows an IP of 0.0.0.0. I have tried to change it using the settings menu but it won’t hold. It just goes back to all 0s. 

Any advice on getting that to a normal IP so I can FTP in? 

im using a crossover cable and I know it works because in the past week I’ve been able to FTP direct but the 0s issue is new and I can’t get around it. 

Which dashboard are you using: Evoxdash (aka RemoteX), UnleashX, XBMC4Xbox, or other?

If you are using a crossover cable to directly connect the Xbox to your PC, you will need to setup static IP addresses on both the Xbox and the PC.

Does the PC you are connecting the Xbox to have internet access? 

If yes, how so -  wireless or a second Ethernet port?