OGXbox.com

Newbie Needs Help With Green Flashing Light

AllTexan

I found an original xbox.  I don't know much about it.  It was opened, but I doubt that it was modded.  I bought cables, which were lacking.  I tried to connect it to my flat panel tv via a composite to HDMI converter. I can see the blue screen on the HDMI channel, and I can see it switch from 720 to 1080p, so I am convinced that is working.  I never see anything from the XBOX though.  All I get is a flashing green light.  I don't have any idea of what's wrong or how to go about fixing it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Green Flashing is more than likely a  Bad EPROM image

Sometimes fitting a mod chip may fix it, But the other option is to reflash the eeprom with a known good file from a Xbox the same version as yours but you may come unstuck if the hard drive is locked to the main board and the HDD key can not be retrieved from the old eeprom image and if that's the case you will need a new hard drive as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Do you know what version it is?

Although it is possible a un-modded xbox to fail this way it's more than likely that someone was trying to mod it or it was softmodded and the eeprom was changed for the incorrect file.

Maybe post a pic of the main board

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I am nearly certain that it's a 1.0 or 1.1.  The reasons that I believe this was never modded, are that I can't see any solder points on the top of the board; it was FILTHY when I opened it, and the clock capacitor is still there.  

I bought a video cable and power cable. Neither are original.  I wish I had original ones that I knew worked.  I also have a replacement DVD drive.  I get the same results with it.  I am doing all that I can to narrow down the issue. By the way, I don't have any games or a controller, but I don't think those are needed for any of this testing.  

image1 2.jpeg

It is a version 1.0

Yes it  does look like the TSOP Flash link is not there or have been removed.  

I have removed the solder link when the customer was the type of person the would try and reflash the bios and stuff it up as it has happen to me and then I got the blame for it not working.

You need to remove  the clock cap and clean the board both sides as it has leaked big time and while the board is out post a pic of the bottom.

For cleaning I use Isopropyl alcohol and a brush like a toothbrush. 

280604744_image12.jpeg.18e161e03380ba506d4831440ef5f63c.thumb.jpeg.0779f725cbbfb277f9e80368f20b6269.jpeg

Cheers

SS Dave

30 minutes ago, jhark said:

Well seems like

1. a/v cable or TV problem

2. not to be a smart ass but a blinking green led sounds like it has a disc in the dvd drive.

As far as I have seen  the blinking green led is the tray open when the DVD drive is unplugged on a Hard-modded (Mod-chip, TSOP flash)Xbox and the eject button is pressed. 

Cheers

SS Dave

• 10 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 12:08 AM, SS_Dave said:

Green Flashing is more than likely a  Bad EPROM image

Sometimes fitting a mod chip may fix it, But the other option is to reflash the eeprom with a known good file from a Xbox the same version as yours but you may come unstuck if the hard drive is locked to the main board and the HDD key can not be retrieved from the old eeprom image and if that's the case you will need a new hard drive as well.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hello.

Im new in this forum and i will try this solutions to fix the blink green light on my xbox classic.

I will give new's in future.

Sorry my bad english. 😏

1 ) Put your Aladdin back in the XBox and load an Installer disk like OGXBox 2021, Tru3HeXEn 2021, Slayers 2021 ect. and flash new a bios on the Aladdin. When your XBox blinks green, you have a "currupt eeprom" and a bios reflash should solve this problem.

2) Without the Aladdin and an unlocked HDD your XBox cant boot the MS bios and will starting to flash. Solution = see above.

3) If you like to remove the Aladdin, lock your HDD first.

43 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

1 ) Put your Aladdin back in the XBox and load an Installer disk like OGXBox 2021, Tru3HeXEn 2021, Slayers 2021 ect. and flash new a bios on the Aladdin. When your XBox blinks green, you have a "currupt eeprom" and a bios reflash should solve this problem.

2) Without the Aladdin and an unlocked HDD your XBox cant boot the MS bios and will starting to flash. Solution = see above.

3) If you like to remove the Aladdin, lock your HDD first.

Thanks.

It's normal when blink green light or blink red/green light dont have image on tv?

3 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

You should see something when she blinks green. And thats if you have a bad eeprom which can be solved with a bios flash.

If she blinks Red/Green you sometimes didn't see anything.

Qustion. Do you see something when she is flashing Green ? (With aladdin installed?)

Hello.

No. Dont have image in TV.

Green light blink start when plug cable AV. Whidout cable av have a static green light.

In this moment aladdin chipmod is instaled.

Green/Red Flashing
The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Green Flashing
Bad EPROM image

A mod chip like a open xenium may help fix the bad eeprom

here is some other error led flashes

814654469_Xboxerrorleds.jpg.4a41baa066368586bceb1b8b1c579850.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Green/Red Flashing
The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Green Flashing
Bad EPROM image

A mod chip like a open xenium may help fix the bad eeprom

here is some other error led flashes

814654469_Xboxerrorleds.jpg.4a41baa066368586bceb1b8b1c579850.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks for the answer.

In my case when install aladdin advanced modchip have a blink green light. Without aladdin advanced modchip have a blink red/green light.

In this moment i try flash eeprom with modchip installed and see what happens.

If you are going to edit or write to the eeprom make sure it for the same version as a eeprom image for a version 1.0-1.1 will not work in a version 1.6

Cheers

SS Dave

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If you are going to edit or write to the eeprom make sure it for the same version as a eeprom image for a version 1.0-1.1 will not work in a version 1.6

Cheers

SS Dave

Ok. I have careful to choose eeprom imagem.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.

After install new modchip the xbox dont have blink light and start read the disk but start burning smell and burn the chip. 🤪

spacer.png

spacer.png

I make the connections below.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I put the modchip conformed image below.

spacer.png

D0 connection wrong? My motherboard is a 1.0V. Have fan gpu.

Put the modchip wrong way?

Thanks.