OGXbox.com

Cloning Original XBox Hdd Using the Pc

Falcon639

Hi Guys

So I wanted to share what I was recently able to do using xboxhdm23usb.

So I softmodded my xbox, then what I did was null my hdd key.

After that I backed up my eeprom and dropped it into the xboxhdm23usb folder.

I then took out the hdd and connected it to an IDE to usb adapter and then used xboxhdm23usb to unlock the drive. (This was easy because I nulled the key).

I then used a program called HDD raw copy tool and was able to make a complete image of the Xbox HDD.

I then relocked the drive and put it back in the xbox (Working fine).

I then connected up a spare drive and used HDD raw copy tool to  clone the image i made back onto the new drive, then used xboxhdm23usb to lock it.

I then popped that into the Xbox and it worked as well. I then used xbpartitioner to give the remaining space to the F Drive.

The nice thing about this method, is that I now have an image back up of an xbox HDD with a nulled key. So I can easy clone it to a new drive and pop it into any xbox (Provided they nulled the key on that xbox as well).

Let me know what you guys think.

• Like 1

It's just as easy and less mucking around to flash the TSOP on a version 1.0-1.4 or fit a mod chip to a version 1.6 then the drive can be used Unlocked.

And if you cloning then a stand alone hard drive cloner will work because the drive is already unlocked you can the copy the entire drive games and all.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I suppose but the main advantage up Hardmodding is the unlocking of the HDD. With this method, if my HDD fails, I can just clone my backed up image onto another drive.

Note: I have a 1.6 with an Aladdin Chip and a softmodded Xbox. Ive just decided to keep one of them softmodded.

A install disk can restore the OS to a new drive with less mucking around than restoring a image from a hard drive unless you have a backup image of the entire drive including the games (C:,E:,F:,G:) but each to their own.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Newport990 said:

I just got a new 2tb hdd and a copy of hexen am still curious amd trying to research like say I got dragon build or something on my PC external what steps would I need to follow to install the hdd and put a full build on it? I do have a old hard mod 

Is the Xbox soft modded or hard modded (mod chip or bios flash)

Cheers

SS Dave

You can use any sector-by-sector cloning software that can access the hard drive on the Xbox.  If at any time Windows asks you to format the Xbox hard drive - CANCEL the operation.

I've used HDD Guru's HDD Raw Copy Tool - a Windows application.

The only problem with using any sector-by-sector cloning application is that if present the extended partitions 6 and/or 7 will be the same size on the new hard drive as they are on the original source hard drive.  If the destination drive is larger than the source drive, content on those partitions needs to be backup up, the extended partitions recreated to their new larger size using XBPartitioner v1.3 on the Xbox, then restore the backup files to them.

Chimp 261812 will clone the original Xbox hard drive to a new larger hard drive on the Xbox.

You will need a Molex power splitter to power both the current and new hard drive. 

If the current hard drive has an F and/or G partition present, an XBPartitioner v1.3 partition table must be present on the hard drive for the selective cloning operation to work properly to copy files from the current extended partitions to the new drive's larger ones.

Selective cloning does a file-by-file copy of the source to destination hard drive, not a sector-by-sector clone which results in the extended partitions being the same size on the new hard drive as the original source drive.

A 1.6 with a DuoX2 chip

I easy way would be download the OGXbox Installer DVD from here and use that to setup the new hard drive, It can format the new hard drive and install a Dashboard.

You will also need to update the bios on the modchip to work with a 2tb hard drive and that can also be done with the OGXbox install disk, You need to use a EvoxM8 plus bios file.

Burn this to a DVD-r as slow as possible on a good quality disk (I use Verbatim DVD-r) then load the disk in the drive and power cycle the Xbox.

https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

On this disk you will find several dashboards and I suggest you try the Xbmc4Gamers as it's the latest and in my view the nicest looking.

If there is anything you really want of the old HDD you you could FTP them to your PC and then FTP back to the new HDD or Unlock the old hard drive and use Fatxplorer beta to connect direct to the PC  to save the files you want, The same program is also good to load up the new hard drive as you could fill a 2tb in around 24 hours.

The other thing I would do is set the chip to always active by changing the wire from the front panel to the 3.3 volt on the modchip.

Like this

1027481575_DuoX2BTlink.jpg.ea2f816b6771cf508fcc80c00ddb6e23.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, Newport990 said:

What's a good burning program these days I used to use nero but now I'm mostly on a macbook

I think you will find any will work, On one PC I have ImgBurn and Nero on the other I have Express burn.

The main thing is write the disk as slow as the burner will go.

Cheers

SS Dave