OGXbox.com

Chimp In General

HDShadow

We all know Rocky5's work on Chimp to update it and make it as user friendly as possible and it is but I'm still discovering a few new things about using it and Chimp in general which maybe useful.

This all refers to something I was doing earlier today: trying to clone a softmodded retail HDD to a 2.5" 80GB IDE HDD I'd bought for an old that laptop that died before it was fitted. The thing has been sitting around for years factory sealed and as I had a spare Xbox I'd done little with except softmod it made sense to use it for that.

Bought an 2.5" IDE to 3.5" adapter and a 3.5" bay adapter too.

Using the final version of Chimp 261812:-

1). Despite several attempts swapping the IDE cable to the new HDD whilst Chimp was running the 2.5" HDD was not recognised. I went back to my normal technique: swapping it on the main UnleashX dash. That did work eventually however the the swap had to be clean and fast. I had several failures. That is unlike most HDDs (IDE and SATA) I've used Chimp with before where you can take your time.

Possibly caused by the 2.5" to 3.5" IDE HDD adapter.

2). The jumper settings - I'll admit I forgot about this first time as I assumed it was set to Cable Select. It wasn't. Chimp loading screen just froze. When it twigged I'd made that embarrassing boo boo I used a jumper from the pack of 25 I have. Long story - I eventually realised the jumper to set it to Slave was actually loose and not actually bridging the pins. The jumper pins on the 2.5" IDE HDD are a slightly different shape and may be slightly thinner.

Whatever the reason the jumper had to be modified to ensure it was connecting both pins.

3). Next problem encountered: Chimp's GUI was green not the normal white on blue background. Now I know Chimp works and displays perfectly using an RGB SCART cable on my other softmodded Xboxes so what was the problem? Answer seems to be: this Xbox is a v1.6 with the Xcalibur video chip.

Tested and confirmed - used the same cable with a v1.4  - no problem, using a SCART adapter ie. not RGB worked fine with both but with RGB SCART plus  v1.6 the green display problem returns. Another v1.6 oddity and annoyance.

4). Finally had everything set up and working correctly, cloning took about 7 mins in total. Locked slave or so I thought but something made be check the status again and it was shown as unlocked. It was, I tested it and got an error 7.

This is where I have a slight issue with Chimp 261812. Before when you scanned the connected devices Chimp would show the full status of the slave drive. That has been pruned down just to show locked status. Only after the clone when you come to lock the HDD do you get the full information screen and at that point you assume everything is OK and click to lock it without really reading anything there.

That was a mistake because when I realised the locking had not worked I took more notice and saw that the HDD was shown as one that can not be locked.

I tried from the MB (my normal choice) and using "TEAMASSEMBLY" too. No joy. The Seagate Momentus ST980815A 2.5" IDE HDD apparently can't be locked on the Xbox. Never had a HDD that could not be until now. 

Not wasted time, I did learn something but certainly a disappointing ending. :)       

Edited by HDShadow
  • Like 1