OGXbox.com

Fried Psu

harrytooth

Hey guys,

I'm an American that has lived in Europe for 10+ years. When I initially came over, I brought along my original xbox console and had a lot of fun with it until I made the mistake of plugging the 110v system into a 220v outlet without a transformer... Dumb, I know but now I want to fix it. This console is a circa 2004 Halo Edition so it would be a real shame to toss it. I received a used PSU from Ebay (a Foxlink) and modified the plug in order for it to work following a great article from this forum :

Thanks Xbox Admin, this article was really helpful. I unfortunately couldn't get the console to power on even though everything was hooked up. So my question is, does anyone know if the there's a possibility that I managed to damage the whole console beyond repair? Should I pull the trigger on another (and correct Delta PSU this time) to try fixing it again? If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it. Thanks!

Hello harrytooth

I sounds like the power supply you received is the wrong PSU.

A version 1.0-1.1 can use a 1.2-1.4 power supply by changing the plug to the main board and the other way around but the version 1.6 has different power requirements.

Maybe post a pic of the main board if you not sure of the version you have.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hello harrytooth

I sounds like the power supply you received is the wrong PSU.

A version 1.0-1.1 can use a 1.2-1.4 power supply by changing the plug to the main board and the other way around but the version 1.6 has different power requirements.

Maybe post a pic of the main board if you not sure of the version you have.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Yeah, I didn't do very good research before I bought the the PSU I tried to get to work. Honestly after learning that there was a recall with the earlier PSUs and that the plug on the board is loose as a goose, I think I need to just get the correct PSU. I'm already having to use a transformer to run the console, and I just don't want to have to worry about it burning my house down. Thanks for the reply! Cheers!

I wonder how many fire's before they but a bandaid on it and a version 1.6 power supply will run at around 45c in standby in open air and probably more when the top is back on.

I also wonder why the power supply is not multi voltage  input anyway.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

9 hours ago, harrytooth said:

I'm new to this kind of thing. What do I look for when trying to determine if the capacitors are blown?

I would say there will no damage to the main board and you are not the 1st person to do exactly as you have.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

i recently got a new crystal, 1.6 PAL console. after first turning it on and leaving it on for some time, it just made one loud "pop" noise. wanted to be sure and turned it off and unplugged it  immediately.

today it made the loud "pop" noise again, but only after having it turned off and after unplugging the console. Which was even weirder to me.

20 minutes ago, xbinwin said:

i recently got a new crystal, 1.6 PAL console. after first turning it on and leaving it on for some time, it just made one loud "pop" noise. wanted to be sure and turned it off and unplugged it  immediately.

today it made the loud "pop" noise again, but only after having it turned off and after unplugging the console. Which was even weirder to me.

You need to have a look in side and you will find that the cap's near the 20 pin power connector have got expanding tops and need to be replaced.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You need to have a look in side and you will find that the cap's near the 20 pin power connector have got expanding tops and need to be replaced.

Cheers

SS Dave

Well, you're right! Need to replace them.

I believed that 1.6's would always be a safe bet regarding clock caps

4 hours ago, xbinwin said:

Well, you're right! Need to replace them.

I believed that 1.6's would always be a safe bet regarding clock caps

All electrolytic  capacitors are going to fail and the clock cap's in the version 1.6 is now starting to fail as well.

With the version 1.6 when the cap fails you need to replace it or the Xbox will not power on.

1_6cap.jpg.a2eb677380ea7b80fbb80c21c011931e.jpg

This one has failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 4/26/2020 at 10:21 PM, SS_Dave said:

All electrolytic  capacitors are going to fail and the clock cap's in the version 1.6 is now starting to fail as well.

With the version 1.6 when the cap fails you need to replace it or the Xbox will not power on.

1_6cap.jpg.a2eb677380ea7b80fbb80c21c011931e.jpg

This one has failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks so much and congrats on over 1k posts!

The Xbox does still power on, but it always forced the date/time setting after boot-up. So it works just barely I'd assume. Better safe than sorry though, that capacitor will get replaced.

Would be refreshing to see a permanent fix for this issue, rather than always facing this problem on a regular basis...

1 hour ago, xbinwin said:

Thanks so much and congrats on over 1k posts!

The Xbox does still power on, but it always forced the date/time setting after boot-up. So it works just barely I'd assume. Better safe than sorry though, that capacitor will get replaced.

Would be refreshing to see a permanent fix for this issue, rather than always facing this problem on a regular basis...

Thanks

Have you had a look inside to see what's made the loud popping sound?

Capacitors by design will all fail as the electrolyte that makes up the capacitor drys out over time and even the SMD(Surface Mount Design) caps fail be it not as often but they still fail.

1591883138_SMDcap1.jpg.89ca574d3c91108b01337df3a5328f4d.jpg  854363497_SMDcap2.jpg.92c79ae0fc6acb290440f1800a43922c.jpg

In the version 1.6 if fit a modchip and then the clock set can skipped in the BIOS and the other versions can have the BIOS reflashed to bypass the clock set as well.

Cheers

SS Dave