OGXbox.com

XBox Soft Mod Problem

Buckets172

Hi All!

First time poster here. 

I pulled my old soft modded Xbox original out of storage a few weeks back because of the quarantine. Has been a lot of fun sharing all the old games and emulators with my son! Tonight he accidentally clicked on Xbox Live on one of the games and went thru the menu options. I caught it before he got too far i thought. No such luck! Now when i boot the Xbox and try to do the CD start (select song copy copy create new soundtrack) I get an error that too many soundtracks are created. I have tried the <<EggsBox>> trick and it does not work. It just relaunches the Xbox and keeps coming back with the same error. 

I have spent the past 3 hours reading every forum I could find on here and other sites and I can not find a solution. 

I created this thing at least 15 years ago and have not modded an Xbox sense. When i created it I remember using a method that included FTPing into my Xbox and transferring all of the files. No modchip.I do not remember the actual name of the mod i used back then.

I have read a lot about re-soft modding the Xbox. I am wondering the following:

1. Is there any way for me to figure out what the original soft mod was without being able to get into the launch screen? 

2. If i re-soft mod the Xbox will I lose all of the files/games I have on the Xbox?

Any help would be much appreciated! 

I'm really trying to fix this thing because my son now thinks he is the reason this thing is broken and believes we'll never be able to get it back. I would love to prove to him that his dad still has it and can figure this out!

Thank you all in advance!

So here is where I have gotten:

1. I used this video which I found quoted here and other places:

2. I downloaded the files from Github like it says. 

3. I I created the ISO per the instructions.

4. I then opened the ISO in PowerISO. I could not find a copy of imgburn that would work on Windows 10 computers.

5. I have tried to burn to multiple DVD-Rs and CD-Rs. The burn finishes.

6. When I insert into the Xbox I always get the "Your Xbox can't recognize this disc..." error.

Any help with what I may be doing incorrectly? In step 4 I have also tried to burn with the Windows native disc burner. Same issue. 

More information gathered today after hours of going back and forth on things.

I have an EvoX soft mod on this thing. I was able to find the copy i made of my xbox hard drive that i made on a CD-r and that is where i got that information. 

I tried to run a bunch of different games and have had no luck. I believe my DVD drive is gone out. I am trying to see if I can buy an old Xbox locally to try to get parts to replace the drive and try to remod this thing using the DVD method in the video above. I have two questions:

1. Has anyone had an EvoX soft mod and accidentally gone to Xbox Live. I know that is what caused this. Any idea how to undo that and get back to the way the Xbox was before the XboxLive link was clicked?

2. Will the DVD method above work for me to re-soft mod my Xbox if the previous version is not a Rocky 5 version?

The only thing I can get into is the factory Microsoft menu that has "memory, music,...". So I am unsure if the DVD method will launch for me from that original menu or if I have to remod it first to the Rocky 5 Mod? 

Thanks for any help!

You will need to resoftmod it. You child wipes the softmod off the system when selecting XBLive from the menu. 

if there are still saves on your Xbox used to softmod it, run the game the save is for and see if you can get into the softmod installer/settings menu. If you cannot, the you need to get a USB, the softmod saves and the appropriate game to softmod your Xbox again. 

Quick question for everyone:

So I now have two Xboxes (the old modded one that is broken and the another one that has not been modded at all).

My question is this:

my original plan was to replace the DVD drive in the broken modded one and resoftmod. Thinking it thru further though the old one has had some powering on/off issues. Could I instead take the HDD out of the old one and put into the new one? Will replacing a drive like this work? Or is there something additional that needs to be done for the new Xbox to be able to read the old modded Xbox’s HDD? 

Thank you for any help!

You can't swap hard drives in Xbox's without first modding the console then NULLing the HDDKey in both consoles.

Reason: From the factory, each Xbox has a unique HDDKey that generates a unique password for that Xbox's hard drive.

After NULLing the HDDKey, the computed HDD unlocking password will be the same for both Xboxes (actually, anyone else's Xbox where they NULL'd the console's HDDKey too).  Thus, allowing HDD swapping between consoles.

Alright guys here is where I am, I got the soft rocky mod loaded! It worked perfect and I am in the modded menus. 

Here is my problem now though:

I can’t see any of my old games or emulators or videos that we’re previously visible. Did the rocky soft mod erase everything? 

One of the reasons I don’t think it did is because when I look at the drive sizes it says 4 GB and 4 GB for the drives. I have a 200 GB seagate in the there though. Does anyone know how I would unlock the drive so that I can see everything else that is on the drive? 

Does the Rocky soft mod erase everything on the drives and reformat them? 

8 hours ago, Buckets172 said:

Alright guys here is where I am, I got the soft rocky mod loaded! It worked perfect and I am in the modded menus. 

Here is my problem now though:

I can’t see any of my old games or emulators or videos that we’re previously visible. Did the rocky soft mod erase everything? 

One of the reasons I don’t think it did is because when I look at the drive sizes it says 4 GB and 4 GB for the drives. I have a 200 GB seagate in the there though. Does anyone know how I would unlock the drive so that I can see everything else that is on the drive? 

Does the Rocky soft mod erase everything on the drives and reformat them? 

It deletes files on the C drive but E, F and/or G should be there?

I believe the default LBA48 configuration of his softmod is F up to 137GB and G takes the rest.  If this option was not your previous LBA48 configuration, the contents will seem to have disappeared.  Go into the NKPatcher Settings application and change the LBA48 settings to match what you used previously.  It was most likely F only with a 200GB HDD.  In addition to the Xbox's standard C, E, X, Y and Z drives, did you have only an F drive or both F and G?

it used to have a G drive that I believe would have had all the old games, movies and emulators on it. Here is what I see when I go to look at usage of the drives currently.

It looks like it made the entire drive free space on the F, which is not what it used to be.

Does this mean all of the games and everything else has been erased? In all honesty it didn’t seem like the process took long enough to overwrite hundreds of games. 

Any way I could get into the drive and see if any of the games/emulators still exist on the drive?

6C590FBE-FD6C-41F1-9D7A-C18695D83184.jpeg

E52C686E-3715-49C3-AB0C-59091C44C04F.jpeg

985F40C0-16F1-4EA6-9B68-31418B4AD472.jpeg

I will run the update later today! Thank you!

I do have the following follow-up question:

On the menu that i see now (I'm using the EvoX one), can i update the names of the folders I see? The ones that say Games/Emulators/etc.? Or are those built into the system and can not be changed? 

Also is there an easy way to switch between the menus so that I can see which one I like most? I'm used to the EvoX one because that is the one I previously had but figure I should look at the other ones too!

Thank you,

You can edit the config.ini in C:\dashboard\

(you can enable editing menu entries in settings but just edit the file instead)

use the extras disc and pick a dashboard and pick C:\dashboard as the install location. 

but what is it you’re looking for? simple easy to use menu or something fancy?

I'm just trying to see what the different menu types are. 

The reason I asked for editing of the menu names is because the old one had the menu items named after me so I was going to change the names to my kids name. 

Also is there a way for me to tell which version of your soft mod I have? i bought a flash drive with it on it and when i asked which version it was the answer was "I'm not sure". 

If it’s unleashx and using one of my skins (grey and lime green) it will say at the top or down the right side. Alternatively load NKPatcher Settings and it will tell you there. 

But I suspect it’s v1.1.6 or lower they will be using. Just upgrade like I said and you know you’re on the latest.