OGXbox.com

Dvd2XBoX Created 2 Iso Files

C64MidRezzie

I have very badly scratched games and want to create backup disks.  It took me quite some time to repaid Colin Macree 04 to work on DVD2XBOX - finally after using magic eraser I managed to get the xbox to read the disk and extract the ISO using DVD2XBOX - however - when I went to copy the ISO to my pc - it turns out there is an ISO just over 4GB and another ISO just over 2GB - any idea why there is 2 ISOs?  Thanks

The maximum file size allowed by the FATX filesystem used on the Xbox's hard drive is 4GB's. The game is larger than that so multiple slices, IIRC <filename>.partNN.iso files, are created.  NKPatcher's attach app can mount up to 8 of these part files (slices) which look like one disc to the Xbox.

What are the names of the files it created?

That is indeed what I'd suggest too - far easier and with Qwix or C Xbox Tools on the PC to create the ISO from the original files.

Far quicker than the DVD2Xbox ISO option too which is an option I've always found a bit mysterious in purpose. It does create two files or more, the default.xbe plus an ISO file or, if larger than 4GB, two part ISO files. It provides no information on how to make use of them.

You can not play them on the Xbox by clicking on the default.xbe so the purpose of this option eludes me.

Edited by HDShadow
typo

8 hours ago, HDShadow said:

That is indeed what I'd suggest too - far easier and with Qwix or C Xbox Tools on the PC to create the ISO from the original files.

Far quicker than the DVD2Xbox ISO option too which is an option I've always found a bit mysterious in purpose. It does create two files or more, the default.xbe plus an ISO file or, if larger than 4GB, two part ISO files. It provides no information on how to make use of them.

You can not play them on the Xbox by clicking on the default.xbe so the purpose of this option eludes me.

But, you can play them.  The mounting of the ISO done by running the default.xbe file (the attach app from NKPather's driveimageutils). Doing so is available for most softmods.  NKPatcher added hooks to mount the disc image.  

For hard mods, you need to add the patches to the BIOS that boots from the modchip.  There's an app that does so then chain loads the configured default dashboard after it applies them to the BIOS/Kernel which actually runs from RAM.

• Like 1

Most people just rip the file set instead of an ISO.  Saying you CANNOT run them from an ISO file (XISO format file that is). Dismissing the possibility all together.

A few games though cannot (well, maybe with a patched default.xbe that opens shortened filename files) be played without burning the XISO to media or mounting the disc image from the hard drive.