OGXbox.com

Frag After Bios Flash - Aladdin Advance

gromitski

Hello,

I have an original Xbox (can't determine which version, looks like 1.4 or 1.5) modded with Aladdin Advance. It worked well until today - I decided to update the bios with EvoX D.6 EjectFix (checksum 74c6235497f474bf88b54b3fc52a20b2). Bin file with it was placed on my HDD so I presumed that it's ok to flash it. After flashing, my Xbox turned off and when I turned it on, it startet to FRAG (two green flashes, then green/red flash with no video). What have I done? How I can undone it?

bios_flash.jpg

bios_info.jpg

IMG_20200414_081318.jpg

IMG_20200414_094334.jpg

Hello gromitski

The D6 bios is really really old and some listing say it will not work in a version 1.4-1.6

I would say it's a 1.4 as no one has ever seen/owned a version 1.5

To recover from that the easy way is fit a new aladdin chip and then you could reflash the noworking one via the hot swap method but the way the chip as been fitted that's a little bit boe involved.

Can you post a pic of the whole board?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Since the modchip is directly soldered to the motherboard, the easiest way to fix it is to remove the SST49LF020 from the socket.  There's a specialized PLCC-32 extractor tool (US$42.63) made to go under the chip in the rectangular corner slots to pull it up and out. (I use a small flat bladed screw driver and go back and forth between the two corners to carefully pry up one corner then the other until the chip pops out.)  Then, use an external programmer capable of flashing an SST49LF020 chip to reflash it with the correct bios's dot bin file.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What made you decide to flash the OLD Evox D.6EjectFix BIOS to the modchip? 

The latest Evox BIOS version release for a v1.0-1.5 Xbox is M8plus.bin.

Indeed, very good point. I assumed that if someone left those bios files on HDD, they should be ok. It's a very good lesson to first read about the topic and then act ;) 

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Since the modchip is directly soldered to the motherboard, the easiest way to fix it is to remove the SST49LF020 from the socket.  There's a specialized PLCC-32 extractor tool (US$42.63) made to go under the chip in the rectangular corner slots to pull it up and out. (I use a small flat bladed screw driver and go back and forth between the two corners to carefully pry up one corner then the other until the chip pops out.)  Then, use an external programmer capable of flashing an SST49LF020 chip to reflash it with the correct bios's dot bin file.

From what I see, it's not that simple to find such a programmer. I found one using LPT, but finding PC with such a port will be a challenge. There are some usb nano programmers on ebay, but they are expensive including shipping cost.

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hello gromitski

The D6 bios is really really old and some listing say it will not work in a version 1.4-1.6

I would say it's a 1.4 as no one has ever seen/owned a version 1.5

To recover from that the easy way is fit a new aladdin chip and then you could reflash the noworking one via the hot swap method but the way the chip as been fitted that's a little bit boe involved.

Can you post a pic of the whole board?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Sure, although I couldn't take less blurry photo. Hope it will be enough.

mb.jpg

mb_back.jpg

There are a couple of USB programmers. One's a simple one that can flash a very limited set of chips PLCC-32 being one of them but the drivers are not signed and many antivirus programs claim the software for it is a virus.  But, it's not from what I can tell.

I found something similar to it but can't find the one I mentioned above.

On eBay, for US$20.00+ $6.50 standard S&H, Programmer BIOS PLCC-32  (SST49 W49 PM49 W39 82802)

The other is the XGECU TL866 II plus which supports 1000's of different chips.  (Many different bundles available for a variety of price points; however, all are more than $20 of the first option listed.)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, gromitski said:

Hello,

It's been a while, but I finally got the flasher. Can you suggest which bios I should flash? @KaosEngineer mentioned M8plus.bin. Is there a reliable source of this file?

I would go the IND 5004.67

iND-BiOS.5004.67.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

https://downloads.diodematrix.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/bios/evolution-x/MULTI_VERSION/

Better still, use the version found on the HeXEn 2018 installer disc.  It's already been patched with EVTool to have the best of class settings and LBA48 patch applied -  evox.m8plus.fc.137.bin (for v1.0-1.5 console revisions) or evox.m8plus.v16.fc.137.bin (for v1.6 console revision - this version will run on older revisions; just not the other way around, you can't use the v1.0-1.5 BIOS version on a 1.6 console).