OGXbox.com

Hey Guys! What On Earth Was I Doing? I Just Opened My Hardmodded (Repaired) XBox From 2002

kwippler

Hey everybody!! I hope you're having a fantastic day!!!

I just opened up my XBOX V1.1 that, (18 years ago) I soldered a single core wire strand through from the back of the board to the top of the board. I cannot recall the specific tech that I was following from way way way back when, but I can't find any sort of photos online covering exactly what I was doing at the time!?? All I can remember from all of this memory delving is the phrase "If the bios is corrupted, then the TSOP will boot from backup", or something to that specific ilk. None of the TSOP bridging points are exacting the nature of what I did. The box was 100%%% operational to previous stock constraints, booting every time that I powered on, without a hitch, stutter or glitch, for about 4 years or so of operation. I did set the clock after each boot (which probably does mean that I still need to replace the clock capacitor), however I cannot see any specific electrolyte leakage on the board surrounding that capacitor, which is interesting. Anyway. I soldered to one specific junction on the back and taped the other end in place on the top - the tape has since disappeared along with the end of the wire that I was passing through the specific through port junction on the top of the board. I don't know where I was jumping the wire to. I can't find anyone doing this specific procedure concerning TSOP/General Repair at the current point? Is this an outmoded repair? Did people just stop doing this? What on earth was I doing? Anyway, the photos are attached, and I'm WILDLY interested to know what memories might be jogged from anyone's experience repairing the OG XBOX after seeing these photos.

20200413_221623.jpeg

20200413_221641.jpeg

I would say you have done aTSOP split and made  a 512kb bank

Is it still booting ?

948364950_Ver1.4capdamage.thumb.jpg.3a2011091909955343088c8d09a7f15b.jpg

This is from a version 1.4 I had come in recently because it would not power on and from the top the Clock cap looks ok(the one with the blue mark on top) but that's the cap from the board and it had 4 traces on the bottom that were damaged the Power,Eject,Red led,Green led .  So remove the clock cap even if it looks ok.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Dave thank you so much for responding, that's so freakin' intense about that clock capacitor!!! I will certainly be removing it today. Absolutely Unreal. Thank you very much for that extremely telling intel!!! I will check into the TSOP split w/512kb bank presently. It does not boot at the moment, when I powered&hooked up display a few nights ago, It had the G.R.O.D. flashes and would not display any video. This was the prior condition I addressed way back when I first got my hands on this thing in 2002/2003, and following the solder of that jumper from the back bank through to the taped wire to the front of the board, the unit was 100% reliable, and never missed a beat. Again, this unit has been out of my hands for quite some time, and the tape that had been securing the single core single strand wire in place to whichever terminal in the front has since lifted and somehow disappeared magically out of the unit.
Thank you again for the direction,
Your words are fuel for the fire.
Cheers
Kwippler

@SS_Dave Thank you again for your input on my most recent XBOX quandary, I went ahead and removed the clock capacitor, and even though there wasn't any obscene amount of leakage on the board, I did note an extremely thin residue of garbage contaminant that had accumulated over a somewhat extensive area, remedied easily with an extensive amount of Isopropyl. Anyway. No change to the condition. Still G.R.O.D. *As far as your observation of the TSOP split/512kb bank, would you have a specific photo reference concerning the aforementioned?(or a specific URL or thread discussing/depicting thus?) I can't find any visual reference on youtube, etc. at the immediate. I would****EXTREMELY****appreciate it, I just need to make that last solder and I'm back in business with fresh possibilities - Just put some fresh corsair thermal paste on the GPU/CPU as well ;)
Thanks again!!!
Cheers
Kwippler

• 2 weeks later...

@SS_Dave Thank you VERY much for that link & those photos, they were EXACTLY what I needed, the terminal at the top of the 3 at R7D3 was the exact point I had previous bridged. I wound up stranding another singular solid core through my original bases from my 512kb bank on the back. I will update this post with completed photos ASAP :D THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Blessings,

Kwippler