OGXbox.com

Original XBox Humming/Spinning Hdd

zaiem

I have Original Xbox, I had it since it was released...

recently I powered it up, HDD keeps on spinning like crazy and never stops.

I got the green screen with "contact support".

I pulled the HDD 20GB and tried to connect it to my desktop, the HDD spins with none stop, and the drive was not shown/recognized by my PC.

I am not sure if I install a new IDE HDD would work/boot.

I searched for Xbox OS/dashboard to download so that I can install on the new HDD, it seems that I only need to install the HDD, and the Xbox will load from the build-in eprom/chip.

Please correct me if I understood wrong

As I have mentioned, it is the HDD (Hard Disk drive) 20GB. I pulled the HDD and connected to my pc, the drive was not recognized.

The Xbox was hard-mod with solderless modchip loaded with Xecuter2. this will allow me to go back to the original Xbox when needed.

The PC not recognizing it - you mean the operating system - Windows.  It does not know how to read an Xbox hard drive.  

What do you mean by humming/spinning all the time?  Can you post a video of it with sound to YouTube?

A hard drive does hum and spin all the time.  I don't understand what is wrong without hearing and/or seeing the Xbox try to bootup.

ok to make things simpler to explain, the HDD is damaged and need to be replaced and cannot be cloned

my question: can I install a new IDE HDD into the xbox, do I need to load ".iso image" into the HDD before I install it? or does the Xbox load from its EPROM into the HDD once it boot up?

The easiest way is to Find  copy of a install disk TruHeXEn 2019 or any of the others (I use SlaYers 2.7) then fit the new drive to the Xbox with you chip installed then boot you Xbox from the install DVD then follow the prompts. 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

51 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The easiest way is to Find  copy of a install disk TruHeXEn 2019 or any of the others (I use SlaYers 2.7) then fit the new drive to the Xbox with you chip installed then boot you Xbox from the install DVD then follow the prompts. 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

So if I boot up with Hexen 2019 on the new HDD drive and my solderless modchip loaded with Xecuter2 it will work with no need to softmod?

IMG1.jpg

That's correct as with the mod chip it will boot a  non digitally signed/copied DVD.

And you don't softmod as softmods and modchips don't play nice with each other.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That's correct as with the mod chip it will boot a  non digitally signed/copied DVD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks a lot @SS_Dave, now I will need to be able to download Hexen 2019 and see how it goes.

Depending in the size of the new Hard Drive you may need to update the BIOS to support a bigger than 137gig drive.

I would also fit the chip to a pin header and add a wire to the D0 point rather than it been a solderless setup or flash the on board bios chip(TSOP) and do away with the chip all together.

Cheers

SS Dave

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Depending in the size of the new Hard Drive you may need to update the BIOS to support a bigger than 137gig drive.

I would also fit the chip to a pin header and add a wire to the D0 point rather than it been a solderless setup or flash the on board bios chip(TSOP) and do away with the chip all together.

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks @SS_Dave,

I was thinking to install SATA 1T with SATA/IDE adapter and 80pin cable, I dont know the location of those pins you pointed out @SS_Dave and since I am noob with Xbox mod/upgrade, updating the Bios is another topic that need to be discussed.

The reason I am leaning to solderless Hard-mod is the flexibility of going back to the original when ever is needed.

I cannot get to download the Hexen .iso, so I am still in theory space...

There is no need to use the stock BIOS as Xbox live is no longer available and you can still use the MS Dashboard with the chip enabled

If you going to fit a 1tb drive your definitely going to need to update the BIOS to use more than 137gb You should be able to flash a new bios to that chip.

As for not been able to download from here you need 15 post's to allow that to happen or make a donation. Have a look in the Store tab

Do you still have the original hard drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

There is no need to use the stock BIOS as Xbox live is no longer available and you can still use the MS Dashboard with the chip enabled

If you going to fit a 1tb drive your definitely going to need to update the BIOS to use more than 137gb You should be able to flash a new bios to that chip.

As for not been able to download from here you need 15 post's to allow that to happen or make a donation. Have a look in the Store tab

Do you still have the original hard drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Yes I still have the original HDD, but it is not working as I have stated at the top of this post.

I do have the 9v parallel programmer, but I don't know what/where the needed Bios ?

is that something can be done through Hexen ?

what if I partitioned the HDD with Hexan would I still need to flash the chip BIOS?