OGXbox.com

Issue With Disc Tray Closing By Itself

rmila751

Hi,

I've just cleaned up an old xbox to keep around as a spare. I've cleaned and lubed the drive mechanism in the DVD drive, all is moving smoothly and reading discs perfectly. The only problem is that, when opening the tray, the open/close button light keeps flashing while open, and after a few seconds, the tray closes by itself. It's not stopping me from playing games, but I'd like to get it back to working as it should.

Does anyone know if this sounds like something that's easy to fix?

Thanks very much.     -Bob

Yep. Samsung drive from 2004. I did put in a new belt because I had the typical stuck tray issue.  I will try to remove, clean and replace it again. 

I was thinking maybe there was some some way to "reset" the drive if it was somehow not registering that it was open.

The problem can also be caused by trace rot of the eject signal line on the bottom of the motherboard.  There are four traces that carry front panel control signals to/from it to the System Management Controller (SMC - a PIC processor on v1.0-1.4 Xboxes) for Power and Eject plus the Red and Green LED drive transistor control signals.

433272512_PowerEjectRedGreenControlSignals.thumb.jpg.569c2a787795ede4055c1a0bdae84c32.jpg

Traces in the order seen above, inner most to outer edge of the PCB:

• Red LED drive transistor control signal from PIC processor pin #2.
  • Green LED drive transistor control signal from PIC processor pin #3. (I may have these two reversed.)
  • Eject signal to PIC processor pin #5.
  • Power signal to PIC processor pin #18.
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have this same problem as OP on my Samsung drive. My Xbox is a 1.6 revision from late 2004. I opened and cleaned/repasted the system recently and there are no rotted or bad traces. I have tried cleaning the drive and drive belt but still having the same issue. It is as if there is a sensor problem where the system doesn’t recognize the drive is open since it flashes the entire time it is open and then closes by itself after 8 or 9 seconds. I’m curious if OP solved this problem. When searching the internet I haven’t come across this particular issue often.

Edited by GoldenWye
Fixed typo

The DVD drive tray may be in a bind when it ejects and the controller on the drive closes it.  

IIRC, I've had a drive do the same thing and after opening the case and lifting the drive and its carrier out of the case to test the eject function it worked correctlly.  Re-installed the drive and carrier into the console and all was good.  Again, that is if I'm remembering things correctly.  It was several years ago.