OGXbox.com

How to fix Trace Corrosion.

T2Steve

Hey, I have a v1.1 board, and managed to successfully bypass the corroded trace C (this trace only seems to mess with the front LED) but then recently I went in to do my yearly mobo check and the tiny pad for trace C had ripped off from the board. (likely my fault as when I put it on I used a high wattage iron). Do you think it would work to keep following the trace to its end point and solder in a new wire to the via at the very end of trace C. 

My only worry is that the missing pad will cause some kind of problem with continuity (even though in my head the wire would also be bypassing this gap caused by the missing pad) 

I have a 20W iron, a fibreglass pen to clean up the via, and some 30 gauge enamel coated copper wire. 

I'm kind of thinking it would bypass it as well but, not totally sure, as the 1.1 pictures doesn't seem to show the end point of trace C, unless I'm missing it? Aside, these pictures and numbering are horrible; we should redo them. 

Perhaps post up some pictures so we can better see what we're dealing with? - I'm away from any boards - Or maybe give it a try and see what happens, assuming the end point make sense? 

Edited by Natetronn
ETA

2 hours ago, Natetronn said:

I'm kind of thinking it would bypass it as well but, not totally sure, as the 1.1 pictures doesn't seem to show the end point of trace C, unless I'm missing it? Aside, these pictures and numbering are horrible; we should redo them. 

Perhaps post up some pictures so we can better see what we're dealing with? - I'm away from any boards - Or maybe give it a try and see what happens, assuming the end point make sense? 

In darks post from may 3 2017 regarding the 1.1 the second photo shows u were photos correspond in photo 5 you see the traces in photo 6 and 7 Letter A and B you can see were trace c goes to, or are you saying to you would like updated photos to were the traces goto on the other side of the boardin case of full trace damage?

Hi guys, here's a photo of the board to remove any confusion. You can see in the photo that the pad for trace C (middle left near the R symbol) has been detached. Using this photo, which allows me to zoom more than my useless meat cameras, I've followed the trace to a tiny via right at the end. I've already used my fibreglass pen to scrape the insulating green stuff away and hope to connect the start of trace C (the resistor at R3V3) to this tiny via using some 30gauge enamel coated single core copper wire. 

Any thoughts before I take the plunge and give it a go? 

2103193519_Xboxv1.1trace-min.thumb.jpg.658139742069f8ddaf38a6346fb23e5e.jpg

Hey guys thought I'd let you know that I connected the start of trace C (at the resistor) to the small via circled in red (with magnet wire/enamel coated) and this worked as a bypass. 

So for future reference, if people try to bypass trace C and damage the easier pad, they can continue down the trace to solder a connection at the via. The via is well covered by green insulation so you will need to scrape this off with a fibreglass pen. Additionally the via is smaller than the pad and thus harder to solder to. Therefore for most people if you damage the pad it might not be worth it to try further down at the via.

But hey I messed up the pad and didn't mess up this time (granted Im now using a 20w iron). 

• 2 years later...

To fix trace corrosion, start by disconnecting the affected component. Clean the corroded traces gently using isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush. Once dry, inspect for any remaining corrosion and use a fine-grit sandpaper or fiberglass pen to remove it. Reconnect the component and test for functionality.

Edited by Liya12

• 6 months later...

!!!!BE AWARE!!!!

Trace E repair is wrong and will short to ground if you follow this repair tutorial

I did a full traces repair on a 1.3 Xbox OG and found it out.

But no worries it does not lead to critical damage just follow the traces yourself and find the proper place to solder the bypass and once done the consol will work normally.

Still major thanks for this tutorial I had one hell of a time understanding why my Xbox power button was not working, the consol would power on when plugged and would shut down at random without pattern in time (can shut after a minute or after 30 minute or even shut during boot).

There was no sign of corrosion on the traces but after bypassing all of them the consol finally got back to normal!

• Thanks 1