OGXbox.com

Installed 250gb Hard Drive but Not All Space Is Available

C64MidRezzie

I have a softmodded xbox and upgraded to a 250GB drive.  I used Chimp 261812 - I cloned the C and E drive and selected the option for the F drive to get all unallocated space in the program.  Problem is that the F drive only has 123GB  ( both C and E have just over 4gb respectively) so I seem to be missing quite a few gigs - any ideas?  Thanks

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Are you sure that the skin or system info you're looking at is not USED apace rather than free space? Some UnleashX dash skins use C:\E:\F:\G:\_Total rather than Free on the 'home page' source display.

If not that I think you may just need to relaunch Chimp 261812 and reformat the extended partition or partitions ie. in this case all to the F:\ drive again but, obviously, this time using the Master HDD options. Check the Chimp 261812 partition table first though.

Chimp 261812 can sometimes be a bit weird with HDDs original formatted with other tools like HeXEn, SID, AID, UnleashX and Evox because they do not use partition tables. I'm guessing here: perhaps if you cloned byte by byte and the original HDD was formatted by one of those tools it might transfer to the new clone HDD. Probably complete BS but I can't think of an obvious reason why the most up to date version of Chimp 261812 would have left the F:\drive missing 100+GB.

If Chimp 261812 doesn't resolve the problem try XBPartitioner v1.3 instead. Less friendly GUI but it works. 

Solved -by using this method:

1. Inserted Rocky 5 Extras disk and installed xbox partitioner V1.3 from the Advanced apps folder to the C drive

2. Ran xbox partitioner from the xbox menu

3. Scrolled down to the first line under 'Extended Partitions' and pressed B to show the full amount of space available

4.Press Start and then Y in the menu (be quick with pressing 'Y')

5. It should mention cluster and format at the bottom of the screen.

6. Restart the xbox and the extra space should be there - if its not then repeat steps 3-5 again.

I just posted this in case anyone ever has the same problem.  Thanks.

Edited by C64MidRezzie

8 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

I have a softmodded xbox and upgraded to a 250GB drive.  I used Chimp 261812 - I cloned the C and E drive and selected the option for the F drive to get all unallocated space in the program.  Problem is that the F drive only has 123GB  ( both C and E have just over 4gb respectively) so I seem to be missing quite a few gigs - any ideas?  Thanks

The problem is the stock BIOS does not support a hard drive over 137GB (123GB to F) the other space is allocated to the stock Xbox partitions.

The Xbox Softmodding Tool softmod does support drives up to 2TBs; however, an XBPartitioner partition table has to be present on the hard drive to use all the space on drives larger than 137GBs.

Before cloning, I believe you could have ran the XBP Table Writer application (found in the Chimp261812's repository under the E Partition folder at github.com) to write an XBPartitioner partition table to the drive.  Or after cloning, ran it then rebooted.  I've not tested either option though to verify it works.