OGXbox.com

Frag After 1.0 Tsop, Did Work

JohnnyPhantom

Hey Everyone, weird issue.

I got a xbox 1.0 off ebay, it needed a DVD drive, ordered one and installed. System worked fine, I was able to softmod with no issues. I then removed the clock capacitor, fixed 1 trace that was bad for the power button (power/eject button work perfectly now, prior to this, no power button, but eject worked) soldered the 2 points for TSOP write (1 onto of mobo 1 on bottom) and proceeded to tsop flash the system using truhexen 2019.I have a 1.0 so I'm assuming a 1MB TSOP if I understand things I've read online, and loaded a 512kb bios from the hexen disk that was for 1.0-1.5, IRC it was x2. bios with F only, I was only given 4 options, all 4 x2, F and F&G, F 420p & F&G 420p. After the flash, the system rebooted and worked fine. I powered off system, removed the HDD and replaced it with what I wanted to upgrade to, and now all I get is FRAG, put the original drive back in, same thing. it attempts to boot 2 times, then the 3rd time its a FRAG.

What might I have done wrong?

Thanks everyone in advance!

~John

Will it boot from the Hexen disk?

What happens with no DVD drive and Hard drive connected?

In my understanding Hard drives with softmods and Modchips/TSOP flash don't play nice with each other.

But it normally it just locks up so you might need to have a good look at the board for a possible short or a damaged IDE cable .

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Sounding like a bad flash.

I have seen post's where people flash 256kb and 512kb bios's to a 1024kb chip and it works but in my view it's a 1 meg chip it should have got a 1 meg bios.

This may help

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

From my list of error codes. I would test fit a mod chip and see if it comes good, There is also a Modded recovery BIOS that needs to be on modchip that will possibly allow the reflashing of the TSOP chip.

1.Green/Red Flashing
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Fix: If you were doing any kind of soldering work (adding a Modchip or other type of mod) on or around your motherboard, make sure there are no solder splashes or that there are not solder bridges connecting any traces. If there are, desolder them. If you have not done any kind of modding to the unit, then its likely to be caused from a bad tsop image, or a bad chip. Try installing a Modchip to see if you can get the unit to boot. If the Xbox still gives a FRAG then it means another major component is bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Cheers

SS Dave

I would fit the chip and see if it boot from it 1st the read on.

That's where the modded M7 bios comes into play.

So since I successfully integrated mimicked Chameleon TSOP recovery feature into my own modchip, I've started playing some hex editor magic. I made my own BIOS, similar as tsop_d6.bin, that will work exactly as tsop_d6.bin. The only difference is that this BIOS will boot on every Xbox that has a flashable TSOP(so 1.0 to 1.5).

I named it tsop_m7.bin as it uses the kernel found in Evox M7 BIOS.
As tsop_d6, you need to have to solder a wire to the TSOP A15 signal. Chameleon modchip will work it's magic by itself.

If you don't have a Chameleon (or soon a XBlast), you can *try* to manually make it work using a basic modchip like a DuoX2, Xecuter 2.x or aladdin XT. I recommend you use a modchip with at least 2 banks to still be able to flash over this BIOS once you're done. To make it work, you'll have to manually operate D0 and A15 wires. Make them long enough to reach a ground spot. Here's the procedure:
1. Insert you booting disc in the DVD drive(HeXen, Auto-Installer...)
2. Tie both D0 and A15 to ground
3. Boot the Xbox with tsop_m7
4. Remove D0 from ground (leave it hanging without touching anything)once the front LED starts flashing
5. Remove A15 from ground one you see the Xbox logo on your TV.
6. Flash your TSOP using your favorite tool.

Some important info:
- As tsop_d6, you can only boot from a Xbox disc in your DVD drive. If no disc is in the DVD drive, the Xbox will just sit at the booting Xbox Logo.
- There is no boot animation. I chose a really weird color combination for the Xbox logo so you know you're booting the right thing.
- There is a chance this BIOS will not boot if you have previously flashed a hacked BIOS on your TSOP. From personnal experience, M8+ and X2 5035 are problematic across all revisions. IND-BIOS 5004 works on my 1.2 and 1.4 but not on my 1.0(probably an RC4 key issue).
- There is no LBA48 support. This BIOS is not meant to be used as your everyday BIOS anyway.
- Pre-insert you disc in your DVD drive. This BIOS resets on Eject.

You may also need to set the Open Xenium to use it as a default BIOS on boot.

tsop_m7.bin

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Qn2jpm9tK8FMVNu8

Hope that helps, the blue wire was added to fix the trace for the power button

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

I also removed the 2 jumpers for the tsop write incase that was the issue, and removed modchip for photo

Edited by JohnnyPhantom

From what I can see it all looks ok any chance of a closeup of your soldering on the LPC?

I just tested 2 version 1.0-1.1 boards and with D0 grounded and no mod chip it flashes red/green with a blank screen 

Cheers

SS Dave

Sure, I'll get some pics in a bit, shouldn't be that though, I didn't solder those header pins until after the FRAG. I also got another xbox off ebay yesterday, it's pretty gross, but it's also a 1.0. and works i think, or at least, can be fixed. I'll clean it (its full of that sticky grimey dust bunnies coated in 2nd hand smoke and dead cockroaches. I got it for the DVD drive and threw the rest in my shed when it came in) but took it apart and cleaned it with IPA scrubbing with electric toothbrush and q tips. it's much cleaner, but the damage on top of the board from the clock cap looked to be worse that the current board (don't look so bad when cleaned) there is no bad traces on the bottom from what I can see, while the FRAG board had some pitted traces. Questions now are, is the mobo dishwasher safe to give it that extra level of clean (I've done it in the past to other boards for laptops and other systems so far with no issues) and what's the best way to flash this one with it's 1MB bios?

Thanks!

~John