OGXbox.com

XBox Hard Drive Swap

Matthers

Hi
Looks like the power supply of my Xbox has died and was going to swap it with another Xbox a friend gave me, but turns out the hardware got changed somewhere along the lines and it's not do-able to swap the power supplies, so figured i'd just swap the hard drive instead allowing me to keep my games/dashboard etc.  It's been a long time since i soldered the chip on my dead Xbox and the other one i have has a different chip.  Anyway, am getting 06, 13 and 21 errors on the Xbox with the newly installed hard drive.
Is there anyway to keep my existing files on my original hard drive?   Remember something about the locking key on the Xbox hard drive - do i need to copy this over from the hard drive i removed?  Am looking at downloading the Hexen disc to start off.  Any help would be great.  Thanks

If the old HDD is unlocked it should boot correctly on any other chipped (or TSOPed) Xbox.

If the HDD was locked then you've a problem because you need the eeprom from the dead Xbox to unlock it. So unless you have a backup of that on PC the only solution as it is would be to use an eeprom reader on the dead Xbox. The MB will have to to be powered from an external source.

If you know how the HDD was locked ie. you used ConfigMagic or Chimp there's a possibility it might have a master password which could be used to unlock it with XBHDM USB. But otherwise you'll need the actual eeprom and use that same program too. 

Edited by HDShadow

On 4/5/2020 at 1:38 AM, HDShadow said:

If the old HDD is unlocked it should boot correctly on any other chipped (or TSOPed) Xbox.

If the HDD was locked then you've a problem because you need the eeprom from the dead Xbox to unlock it. So unless you have a backup of that on PC the only solution as it is would be to use an eeprom reader on the dead Xbox. The MB will have to to be powered from an external source.

If you know how the HDD was locked ie. you used ConfigMagic or Chimp there's a possibility it might have a master password which could be used to unlock it with XBHDM USB. But otherwise you'll need the actual eeprom and use that same program too. 

Hi HDShadow
Thanks for the reply.  I actually do have some back up files from the other hard drive:
bios.bin, disk.bin, eeprom.bin, hddkey.bin and hddinfo.txt which includes the XboxHDKey.  Can you let me know how i can use these to get this drive up and running on the new console, or link me to something for this.  Thanks

I'm not the one to ask about using XBHDM USB- never used it myself but with the eeprom.bin (the important one in this case) in theory you will be able to unlock it and that should mean you can use it on any other chipped or TSOPed Xbox.

Whether is is going to be as easy as that I cannot make any guarantees.

11 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I'm not the one to ask about using XBHDM USB- never used it myself but with the eeprom.bin (the important one in this case) in theory you will be able to unlock it and that should mean you can use it on any other chipped or TSOPed Xbox.

Whether is is going to be as easy as that I cannot make any guarantees.

Hey HDShadow!  Well it appears that that hard drive, which did make a noise when given power, didn't actually spin the disk and is completely caput.  Took a while to figure out why the Hexen disk wouldn't load - seems you need a working hard drive, even if it's blank for it to boot into its menu.  Luckily i had an old 200GB IDE drive kicking around and its also lockable which is great.  Have booted up with Hexen and reinstalled everything.  Turns out the chip on the working Xbox is an x3ce chip which apparently are quite rare.  Not sure what i can do with it over an ordinary chip though?  Looks like it just has 1 bios installed on it at the moment.  

I also have some backed up save game data.  Can this be FTP'd to a specific location on the drive?  It's the next thing on the list as i bring the box back into action :)
Thanks

Xbox game saves are stored in E:\UDATA and E:\TDATA. TDATA is usually more used used for DLC but Xbox games still create folders in both even if the TDATA folders are empty.

So you do need to know where the games saves original came from or they won't work. For instance Dead Or Alive 3 stores character/costume files in TDATA but alongside those it stores game save data too, probably character/costume unlocks. 

Generally though if the folder you have for each specific game contains a TitleMeta.xbx file which maybe accompanied by a TitleImage.xbx and SaveImage.xbx it is a UDATA one. It may also contain a folder or folders which are often the save game data for specific profiles; it'll have a SaveMeta.xbx inside at the very least.

I'd suggest you do not FTP them direct into place. Put them in a temporary folder on the Xbox. All the game save folders have their own unique ID, usually, but that's all you have to go on so unless each game save you have was identified before backing it up. If you do not you may be able to identify the game from the TitleImage or SaveImage XBX if you use the UnleashX dash. It displays XBX image files natively. XBMC does not.

Game saves from emulators or homebrew games save where they like unfortunately. Sometimes it is in their own folders but others may create a Save folder on E:\ ie. E:\SAVES which may be used for several different games. It is probably possible to redirect the save location in some cases if they have configuration files.