OGXbox.com

XBox Softmod Help

AljeljaTheHakenzi

On 4/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, HDShadow said:

Getting a IDE HDD > USB external housing to work with Xplorer360 is possible but it is very unreliable. This was a long time ago now and I've not tried it since. I was using Windows XP 32bit on an old laptop which itself had an IDE 2.5" drive. 

To start with the HDD has to be unlocked but the problem I've found is that if you do that, as I did with a backup softmodded Xbox HDD, unlocked using Chimp 261812 or ConfigMagic, whether set to slave, master or cable select Xplorer360 still reported that no FATX drive message. That's never made an sense to me; its a FATX formatted volume connected by USB just like a flash drive but Xplorer360 simply does not see it. 

I almost gave up trying but I thought I'd risk hotswapping instead. So I re-locked it and installed it on a Xbox as master.

First I tried the error 11 trick said to work: booting disconnecting the DVD drive, rebooting to error 11 and then hot-swapping to the external HDD IDE enclosure. Total failure every time. Then I tried hot-swapping at various points in the boot and on about the 12th attempt (swapping just as the Microsoft logo appears I think) when I launched Xplorer360 it found the HDD and displayed the contents.

With an IDE/SATA adapter involved, later Windows versions and Xplorer360 I'm not sure if it is worth even attempting to get it to work now.

Using XboxHDM23USB as KaosEngineer recommends is the far more likely solution to work.

Hi HDShadow,

I also follow this method and try to unlock my hard disk, because my DVD can not read everything. I tried more than 12 times, Xplorere360 still can not read HDD IDE, but FATXplorer can.

If I follow your comment to try XboxHDM23USB. What step is that? Could you teach me? thanks a lot!