OGXbox.com

XBox Softmod Help

AljeljaTheHakenzi

Hello!I am trying to softmod my original xbox.I tried to do it using this clip:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSb7BFRQNo

I did everything in the video correctly.So the problem is:I dont have ide ports on my motherboard so i tried using ide to sata adapter and when i plug it in my pc and turn it on,it shows in disk management as not initalized,but when i tried to use xplorer 360 it says could not find fatx drive.I tried with 2 hot swap techincs,setting compatibility to win xp sp3,running it as administrator,tried different programs.But nothing works.I dont have xbox friendly usb drive and i also dont have any game that has save game exploits.Sorry for bad english.

xplorer360 isn't going to work with SATA ports - USB or IDE only.  And, not sure if a USB-to-IDE adapter will be seen. I've not used it to access an Xbox hard drives content.  USB is used for thumbdrives to add the softmod game saves to be copied to the Xbox and run an original exploited game. 

You can use a 64-bit Windows PC with a compatible USB-to-HDD interface adapter and XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 to prepare a hot-swapped drive (easier if you had the eeprom.bin backup) with a bootable no-original-game-disc-required Xbox Softmodding Tool installer.  (Do not mess with the files already present in the HDD_files folder.)

• Like 1

Getting a IDE HDD > USB external housing to work with Xplorer360 is possible but it is very unreliable. This was a long time ago now and I've not tried it since. I was using Windows XP 32bit on an old laptop which itself had an IDE 2.5" drive. 

To start with the HDD has to be unlocked but the problem I've found is that if you do that, as I did with a backup softmodded Xbox HDD, unlocked using Chimp 261812 or ConfigMagic, whether set to slave, master or cable select Xplorer360 still reported that no FATX drive message. That's never made an sense to me; its a FATX formatted volume connected by USB just like a flash drive but Xplorer360 simply does not see it. 

I almost gave up trying but I thought I'd risk hotswapping instead. So I re-locked it and installed it on a Xbox as master.

First I tried the error 11 trick said to work: booting disconnecting the DVD drive, rebooting to error 11 and then hot-swapping to the external HDD IDE enclosure. Total failure every time. Then I tried hot-swapping at various points in the boot and on about the 12th attempt (swapping just as the Microsoft logo appears I think) when I launched Xplorer360 it found the HDD and displayed the contents.

With an IDE/SATA adapter involved, later Windows versions and Xplorer360 I'm not sure if it is worth even attempting to get it to work now.

Using XboxHDM23USB as KaosEngineer recommends is the far more likely solution to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

New to game consoles, never owned one before and never played games. First time gamer.

Well, I just recently picked up an Xbox original for 25 bucks. It's works great except for trying to softmod it. Everything goes great on the softmod except when I insert one of the game exploits.

I tried 2 different versions of Splinter cell, black label and platinum. Both boot to the UBISOFT logo then go to a black screen with audio still working.

I also tried 2 different versions of 007 AUF, black label and platinum. Both boot straight to a black screen with audio.

I removed the softmod files from the hdd and tried to load those exploit games again without the softmod files after rebooting. Same thing, splinter cell boots to the UBISOFT logo and then goes to a black screen with audio, tried the 007 auf without the softmod files after rebooting and that game still just boots to a black screen with audio.

I removed the clock capacitor and tried both games again, same thing. There is no modchip installed although there is a bright blue light behind the controller 2 port but no modchip, prolly just a lighted port, number 2 is the only one with the blue light behind it. There are no other game saves on the hdd.

All my other games work just fine, no problems whatsoever, but the games needed to softmod it just won't work, just a black screen with audio.

My dash is the standard Microsoft xbox dash and it's at 5960 and it does have the LIVE option on the dash menu.

Like I said, all other games work great on it, except for the games needed for the softmod.

What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance...

I insert the game. The DVD drive spins. 

After I insert the Splinter cell DVD in the drive, it loads to the UBISOFT logo, then goes to black screen with audio. Never get to the point of selecting the save. Can't see anything to select the save. But I can hear it.

After I insert the 007 DVD in the drive, it loads straight to a black screen with audio. Never get to select anything because the screen is black, but I can hear it.

Have to ask: is the console NTSC or PAL set to NTSC. Are the SC exploit/installer games saves installed NTSC region correct too? The 007 issue sounds like a regional or display problem as well.

Cable type? SD cables ie. Component cables are not recommended when using game exploits, only AV Composite.

In PAL regions SCART/SCART RGB are OK.

Cables used are the standard rca type a/v cables (red, white, yellow).

Tv doesn't have standard video input, only the red and white audio inputs and the Y/Pb/Pr for the video input.

The console is already set to NTSC, I checked that the first time I turned it on before even trying any games.

I did select the correct ntsc copies for the chosen save game.

And on the image shown above, I've never seen that screen. I can only select normal, widescreen and letterbox. Never seen the resolution selection as shown above.

I think you answered my solution. I'm using the component video, which you said these boxes don't like. That may explain why I still get the audio but not the video.

Now another question:

Are all games or just certain ones dependant on the standard video input? Because all my other games work on that Y/Pb/Pr connection, just not the SC, 007.

I like the way you guys hang in there to help. Thank you.

You're not using Component cables, you're definitely using AV composite if they are yellow, red and white.

This was new to me until last week but apparently a lot of modern TVs have dual purpose Component inputs ie. the Green phono socket is both for AV Composite and Component. So check your TV manual or look at any lettering around the green TV socket: if it is marked as Y and AV then it is dual purpose and, in theory should be OK. Are the red and white audio jack plugs definitely both plugged in the stereo audio input sockets ie. the red one is not in the Component red socket? Just have to confirm that.

The reason you're not seeing that ED/HD resolution menu is because you're not using Component which suggests it is all wired up OK and that means the problem is something else. The fact you're just seeing Normal/WS/Letterbox also means the console is definitely NTSC. If it was PAL you'd have PAL50 and PAL60 options too.

Do you have another TV with yellow (video), red/white stereo audio AV Composite inputs to test?

It must be a video display issue it the audio can be heard but whatever the problem is it is a bit odd. 

I do have another tv that does have the standard red, white and yellow a/v ports, I'll try that and see what happens.

Also, what does tsop flashing on xbox do? Does the Xbox need to be modded first for tsop mod? I've done tsop mods on satellite receivers but not consoled.

I've never played games, 52 yrs old and never played any console games.

3 minutes ago, KM4VAZ said:

I do have another tv that does have the standard red, white and yellow a/v ports, I'll try that and see what happens.

Also, what does tsop flashing on xbox do? Does the Xbox need to be modded first for tsop mod? I've done tsop mods on satellite receivers but not consoled.

I've never played games, 52 yrs old and never played any console games.

Trying a different screen is something I would try as I have had a Home DVD player I was repairing not display on my test screen but work on the main tv OK. Please report back and let un know how you get on.

TSOP flashing is the rewriting the bios file that's stored on the main board to enable the Xbox to read unsigned (Copied Disks, Homebrew Disk's) and allowing the Hard drive to be used in the Unlocked state and also allowing the hard drive to be larger than 137gb. It also makes upgrading the hard drive a simple procedure.  1 flash new bios, 2 fit new hard drive, 3 load a install disk and follow the on screen prompts, 4 FTP apps,games to your hard drive and start enjoying it.

TSOP flashing will work the same as fitting a modchip as a chip is just overwriting the on board TSOP chip, 2 ways to flash a TSOP 1 is softmod the Xbox to allow you to run Homebrew software or my prefered method is to flash from the game save hack without having to softmod 1st.

The 1st reflash ones I did was using 007 Agent Under Fire game save  exploit using commands sent via a PC to the Xbox with a network cable, I still use 007 AUF but the exploit has now got the ability to flash the TSOP without the need of a PC

IMG_20200101_073207.thumb.jpg.6e128dfe6a48cf68b25cf68b4023c16a.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Well, I thought my other tv had composite inputs (yellow, red, white rca ports) but it's just like the other tv (Y/PbPr on one and video/Y on the other) with the red, blue and green, along with the standard red and white rca audio inputs. 

The Xbox cable I have is composite (red, white, yellow rca), and I'm using it on component tv inputs (Y/PbPr and Video/Y, red, blue, green). 

That's probably my whole problem. I read somewhere that some games for the OG require the component cable for HD. Didn't know that until just recently.

When I find a component cable for this box then I'll get back and let you know how it went.

Thank you for your patience and responses. Very helpful.

5 hours ago, KM4VAZ said:

Well, I thought my other tv had composite inputs (yellow, red, white rca ports) but it's just like the other tv (Y/PbPr on one and video/Y on the other) with the red, blue and green, along with the standard red and white rca audio inputs. 

The Xbox cable I have is composite (red, white, yellow rca), and I'm using it on component tv inputs (Y/PbPr and Video/Y, red, blue, green). 

That's probably my whole problem. I read somewhere that some games for the OG require the component cable for HD. Didn't know that until just recently.

When I find a component cable for this box then I'll get back and let you know how it went.

Thank you for your patience and responses. Very helpful.

Please do not tell me you plugged all three AV Composite plugs in the Component sockets.

If so that's your problem.

Only the Yellow one goes in the Green multi-tasked RCA socket.

The Red and White are the stereo audio plugs and they go to into those RCA Red and White sockets you mention.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my component cable today, plugged it all back up, used rocky5 1.1.7, used splinter cell, softmodded in less than 6 minutes.

Zero'd out the hard drive key also.

Now to install a bigger hard drive with the sata adapter and the 80 pin cable. Already got all the games I want on my pc, then I can transfer.

Thank you guys/gals so much. Your patience is highly appreciated.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2020 at 8:00 PM, AljeljaTheHakenzi said:

Hello!I am trying to softmod my original xbox.I tried to do it using this clip:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSb7BFRQNo

I did everything in the video correctly.So the problem is:I dont have ide ports on my motherboard so i tried using ide to sata adapter and when i plug it in my pc and turn it on,it shows in disk management as not initalized,but when i tried to use xplorer 360 it says could not find fatx drive.I tried with 2 hot swap techincs,setting compatibility to win xp sp3,running it as administrator,tried different programs.But nothing works.I dont have xbox friendly usb drive and i also dont have any game that has save game exploits.Sorry for bad english.

From the video it looks like he uses the Xbox to unlock the hard drive. 

I think this isn’t the best idea. Hot-Swapping has the potential to damage and make the hard drive unstable (without a backup) your F*Kd.

if you really want to try this tutorial and not buy a £5 splinter cell game I would first try doing it faster. (Sometimes unplugging the hard drive too long fails the experience) 8 seconds max

i personally had no END of trouble using XPloer360. I used a Linux OS with XPloer360 and had to repeatedly unplug and insert the USB to get it to register. Doing this on a HD will probably damage a sector and break your hard drive.

what I did

game https://bit.ly/33sesvA

cable https://bit.ly/3LE2QGX

USB https://bit.ly/3Bndo8R