OGXbox.com

Error 16

XxWeLLeR

I've got an Xbox v1.1 that's giving me error 16. I have little history on it besides that it was softmodded and worked before the clock cap was removed.

I've used xboxhdm to rebuild the C and the whole harddrive with several stock and modded file sets. Used the error 12 hotswap method and was able to view the dashboard files on the drive.

I've even installed a Aladdin xt2 chip that still showed error 16

I've even built an brand new unlocked drive on another system. Power cycled/unplugged/waited in built console with no issues. Then installed into chipped Xbox that still results in error 16?

Swapping in another locked harddrive showed error 06 as predicted.

Anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong or anything to try?

Edited by XxWeLLeR

Error 16 is perfectly normal for a Xbox with a chipped machine without a dashboard.

What BIOS did you flash?

With a new virgin HDD in place simply cold boot a disc like HeXEn, AID or whatever and it'll walk you through the formatting and main dash install as SS_Dave said. No more error 16.

2 minutes ago, XxWeLLeR said:

I've tried both the stock "rebuilt" drive and the new 500gb drive blank and formatted using another chipped Xbox.

Did you test to see if the other  xbox booted of the fresh drive?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Disc burning issue?

Must be DVD-R and, preferably, done with ImgBurn using its default "Write image file to disc" and burned at lowest supported speed which may vary with disc make/PC burner disc drive but, typically, either x4 or x6.

With a genuinely blank HDD fitted if your chip won't cold boot from a DVD-R then there is most likely either a problem with the chip or the disc drive.

Does the Aladdin chip activate when you hold down the power button?

Edited by HDShadow

13 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

How is the Aladdin chip configured/installed? 

Does it have the BT pad wired to the power button signal from the front panel or is it connected to a ground pad on the modchip for always on mode?

Chip is soldered to always on

Does it cold boot original Xbox game discs? Can you hear them spinning up?

If its not cold booting them then something is very wrong.

It seems unlikely but are you sure it is a v1.1? If you were using an older version of UnleashX ie. pre-584 they all report v1.6 Xboxes v1.1.(Ob).

2 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Does it cold boot original Xbox game discs? Can you hear them spinning up?

If its not cold booting them then something is very wrong.

It seems unlikely but are you sure it is a v1.1? If you were using an older version of UnleashX ie. pre-584 they all report v1.6 Xboxes v1.1.(Ob).

sorry just double checked and it appears to be a 1.0, single row mother board power connector, heatsink fan, serial and dates, all align to a 1.0.

Im attempting the suggestions above and will report back with my results.

Thanks again.

Hello,

I have the same problem, I installed a softmod on my console (v1.4) and I had an error 16. Now it doesn't work, reboot 3 times and red/green flashing. Didn't use any modchip or tsop, only softmod. I tried with using eeprom reader to modify with another eeprom.bin, nothing changed. I also removed dvd drive and hard drive and it still the same. Any issue please?

Edited by satchsatch33

54 minutes ago, satchsatch33 said:

Hello,

I have the same problem, I installed a softmod on my console (v1.4) and I had an error 16. Now it doesn't work, reboot 3 times and red/green flashing. Didn't use any modchip or tsop, only softmod. I tried with using eeprom reader to modify with another eeprom.bin, nothing changed. I also removed dvd drive and hard drive and it still the same. Any issue please?

Did the FRAG (flashing red and green) happen before or after you edited the eeprom?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 minutes ago, satchsatch33 said:

Sorry, I didn’t remember. Before reading the eeprom, fan started to speed so much on normal using. Don’t you think this must be due to cpu and gpu overheating? Or an eeprom editing with eeprom reader can result with red/green blinking ? Sorry for my bad english.

fan do goes loud in service mode while reading eeprom. You should not change eeprom with other console's eeprom.

2 hours ago, satchsatch33 said:

I reflashed my console with original eeprom. Still not working. Thx

Explain more about what you actually did because whatever it was you cannot have "reflashed the console with the original eeprom".

The HDD may have been locked with one eeprom and you somehow locked it with another but you'll have to explain how you did that too.

It may just be a language issue but none of it makes sense. 

I used xcalibur ndure 3.4 To softmod my console, then I used true hexen 2019 with chimp To prépare the new hdd, it worked fine. After that, for some reasons, I used another cd then I had an error 16. Finally it goes to reboot 3 times (still do it) and blink red/green. Never did à tsop on this console or whatever.