OGXbox.com

Check for Tsop By Software?

marmet45

Hi there,

I got a couple of old XBoxes sitting around, all softmodded and (maybe) also TSOPed.

How (w/o opening them and checking for soldered points) can I check if they are also TSOPed?

And if they aren't, the right order would be:

• softmod (Rocky5)
  • open up and TSOP
  • might as well remove clock cap while we're there (are they all in the same spot? I got 1.0 and 1.4 boards so far)
  • replace dashboard
  • optionally replace hard drives and null eeprom

??

Edited by marmet45

Hello marmet45

There is no way via software to check the TSOP flashing enable links, You can try and flash the TSOP and the worst that will happen is a Message saying the flash not writeable.

And the BIOS check program that's kicking around is as useful as a ashtray on a motorbike.

If you hardmodding (flashing the TSOP chip or adding a Modchip) there is no need to Null the HDD key as the drive can remain unlocked.

Plus I never lock any of the hard drives I use and the 1st thing I do after a hard-mod is unlock the hard drive.

With the clock cap yes the version 1.0-1.4 are all in the same location and some of the 1.4's may have a gold colored cap but I still remove it anyway.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 7:38 PM, SS_Dave said:

Hello marmet45

There is no way via software to check the TSOP flashing enable links, You can try and flash the TSOP and the worst that will happen is a Message saying the flash not writeable.

And the BIOS check program that's kicking around is as useful as a ashtray on a motorbike.

BIOS Checker will show the TSOP type if the TSOP points have been correctly bridged. At least it appears it does for a v1.4.

My previously softmodded v1.4 just showed Unknown or Homebrew with BIOS Checker. Post successfully soldering the two bridge points it instead showed, correctly, as a Winbond TSOP.

That's what I'd read from several different sources was the confirmation you should get if the bridging had been done properly and the TSOP was now writeable.

Is that information unreliable? 

• 3 weeks later...

It's so much easier to just use Evoxdash to try and flash the TSOP.  If the points are not connected, it will report the TSOP flash chip's ID:

Manufacturers ID 09 Device ID 00
!!Flash not writeable!!

The values 09 00 are the first two bytes of an Xbox BIOS instead of the any Xbox flash memory chip's ID.

However, evoxdash cannot flash a Winbond flash memory chip.  You need to use raincoat, XBlastOS or Gentoox Loader to flash it.

For other brands, as long as the evox.ini file has the proper set of Flash= lines it should be able to ID the flash memory chip once writeable and flash the BIOS to it.  

• 2 weeks later...