OGXbox.com

7200 Rmp Hdd In XBoX. Is It Safe?

Mousxaros

Greetings from Greece and congrats for the valuable info shared in this site. This is my first post here although I' ve been reading a lot of threads and have TSOP flashed - modded several XBOXes in the past. Generaly i upgrade hard drives by installing 5400 rmp WD green ones which work great. So my question is simple. Is it ok if I install an 7200rpm 3.5 inch HDD? My biggest concern is the higher temps those HDD generate and how this affects the other internal components of the box.

Edited by Mousxaros

Hello Mousxaros

Most of my Xbox's have 7200 RPM hard drive's

You won't see any difference in temps and may be a slight improvement in load times.

With the Green drives it is better if you disable the power save function as the Xbox uses 3 cache drives(X,Y,Z) and if the hdd is in power save you might experience some clutching at times.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Great!!! Thanx for the immediate answer SS_Dave. Gonna thow in that 7200 rpm Barracuda that i have lying around. As for the green ones I havent got any problems so far but I will try what u suggest anyway and report back. I suppose I will find the appropriate software at the official WD site by choosing the right hdd model.

31 minutes ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

Having a 5400rpm drive is better for hdd temps and also for psu temps,because low rpm drives draw less current so you stress the psu less. If loading times dont bother you,then 5400 rpm is the best choise

P.s    Epeitelous kai enas Ellhnas

Maybe but try and find a 1tb or 2tb 5400rpm hard drive

My 1.6 runs a 2tb without any overheating and even the 120 gig IDE drive's are 7200, If your really worried about heat use a SSD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

4 hours ago, SakisTheDrifter said:

Having a 5400rpm drive is better for hdd temps and also for psu temps,because low rpm drives draw less current so you stress the psu less. If loading times dont bother you,then 5400 rpm is the best choise

P.s    Epeitelous kai enas Ellhnas

Saki it's like u read my mind. I dont care at all about loading speeds. Its the lifespan of the console that bothers me more. I just happen to have an old 750gig IDE barracuda gathering dust and to tell the truth I was doubtful to use it for the reasons just explained.

P.S. Patrida eimaste ligoi dystyxws.

Edited by Mousxaros

3 hours ago, Mousxaros said:

Saki it's like u read my mind. I dont care at all about loading speeds. Its the lifespan of the console that bothers me more. I just happen to have an old 750gig IDE barracuda gathering dust and to tell the truth I was doubtful to use it for the reasons just explained.

P.S. Patrida eimaste ligoi dystyxws.

The 750gig will be fine the heat and load from a hard drive is nothing to worry about.

Just while the Xbox is apart give it a good clean especially the fan and the CPU/GPU heatsinks.

In my Xbox's I set the fan speed to 30% and I don't have any overheating issues.

Cheers

SS Dave

7 hours ago, lostartz said:

SSD hummmmmm is there any recommendations for drives?

I have tried a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD but because I the speed is limited by the ata 66 (pata)structure I could not justify the cost over the gains.

Cheers

SS Dave