OGXbox.com

Controller Port 2 Issue On 1.2

DrTobogganMD

I'm having a weird issue with a 1.2 I'm attempting to fix, for some reason, all of the controller ports are working except for port 2.  The clock cap was removed and there looked to be some leakage however there doesn't appear to be any trace rot near the area where the cap was on either side of the board and all other caps appear to be in good condition.

Also, I tried swapping out the ports with one from a console that works and port 2 still does not work with any controller plugged in.  Looking around, this doesn't appear to be a common issue and I'm not sure what else I could be missing.

Pictures of the board are attached.

20200327_150037.jpg

20200327_150128.jpg

1 more pic of this location.

And if you have a multimeter can you measure the 2 red wire they should be close to 5 volt each and then test the 2 green wires and you should get around 3 volt with a controller plugged in and 0 with out and lastly all the others wires should read 0 volt

IMG_20200328_132526.thumb.jpg.c5c49bf72bcd041e599265bbb96b3b69.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

18 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

1 more pic of this location.

And if you have a multimeter can you measure the 2 red wire they should be close to 5 volt each and then test the 2 green wires and you should get around 3 volt with a controller plugged in and 0 with out and lastly all the others wires should read 0 volt

IMG_20200328_132526.thumb.jpg.c5c49bf72bcd041e599265bbb96b3b69.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you for your help with this, I measured the voltage for the red and green wires and got the following readings for ports 1/2:

Pin 2 (Green): 00.1 mV

Pin 11 (Green): 3.6mV

Pin 3 (Red): 5.4V

Pin 12 (Red): 5.4V

Just for comparison, I measured the voltage on ports 3/4 as well:

Pin 2 (Green): 5.0mV

Pin 11 (Green): 4.9mV

Pin 3 (Red): 5.4V

Pin 12 (Red): 5.4V

Controllers plugged into ports 3 and 4 work without any issues, and the fact that the reading was so low for ports 1 and 2 lead me to believe something has gone bad on that side of the board.

20200328_113450.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2020 at 6:32 PM, SS_Dave said:

This may help you start tracing the signal.

xbox_1_1_top_cropped.thumb.jpg.42b691493ce181966760baf1340fa0bc.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

I finally had some time to check but I seem to be having some trouble tracing the signal back to the connector on the board. Are they're any other suggestions as to what this could be causing this?

The signals end up at the MCPX chip but travel through a set of current limiting resistors and filtered with some SMD caps/resistors and the like on it's way to the main controller IC.

The only suggestion it to physically trace the signal and compare the signal between a working and nonworking channel and hope that it's not the MCPX chip.

Cheers

SS Dave