OGXbox.com

New To All This

Hello Junkyarddogmax

Both will give you the option of playing backups of your game disk's or play your games and allow you to upgrade to a larger hard drive .

Also with both softmod and hardmod(mod chip, TSOP flashing) you can install unsigned code like Xbox4games,Coinops and the like.

A hardmod requires the Xbox to be opened and depending on the matherod your using adding links(solder, conductive paint) to the main board to enable the TSOP  flashing or soldering a mod chip to the main board. And in my opinion the hardmod is the best way to go, It offers easy replacement/upgrade of the HDD as the hard drive does not require locking to the main board where the softmod requires the HDD to be locked.

With a unlocked hard drive if the Xbox suffers a major failure you can swap the old drive to a replacement Xbox that has the hardmod and it is like nothing happened and there is at least 1 post a month about my Xbox is dead and I don't have the HDD Key how can I save my games on the HDD, You don't is the answer.

Hard modding is a permanent solution and softmod is a temporary solution as if you accidentally delete the wrong file from your softmodded Xbox HDD the quickest way to recover from that is add a modchip. Do the same with a hard mod it's load your install dvd and repair the drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.