OGXbox.com

Delay In Booting To Unleash X

Brewskii2117

That seems excessive. I just recently started modding my 1.0, had to use a chip cuz my bios is no longer working. I tried a cheaper Sata converter and about half the time it would take a long time like yours but would give me error "07 please call for service". I switched to the Startech yesterday and the boot times are now consistant. Once Microsoft pops up below the X logo, there is a small glitch in the screen, then it loads to Unleash X. This all happens relatively fast, maybe 15 seconds. Cant time it right now cuz the xbox is apart again. Your jumper on startech is set to Master? What Hard drive are you using?

I would say this is normal. I used a Toshiba 1 TB HDWD110 7200 RPM with 64 MB buffer. With 231 GB of games, things slowed down after each addition. Error code 07 would pop up on cold boot appropriately 1 in every 15 . If cycled quickly and the HDD did not spin down everything was fine. The system was using a TSOP X3 BIOS 5035 F and G 80 wire. I have moved to a PATA to SD card interface with with X2 BIOS on F only 40 wire with the same data no issue. System boot time is much better.    

SATA adapters affect the boot time significantly. When I first used a SATA HDD on my primary Xbox it was the first thing I noticed, it was about twice as slow ie. 30 seconds rather 15 seconds. I was only using a 160GB 5400 rpm one at that time too and had at most 25 Xbox games installed. I'm now using a 320GB 7200rpm SATA HDD and around 30 Xbox games and that is only very slightly slower.

I'd imagine a 2TB with considerably more than that would get progressively slower. 

There is also the issue about what you actually have on the HDD.  Menu items and particularly large numbers of  icons or other stuff that loads at boot can extend the time too. This was one of the reasons I dramatically reduced the size of the icons I was using at that time: they're now all 256x256 and file size I try to keep them <50KB, usually considerably less.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

"SATA adapters affect the boot time significantly. When I first used a SATA HDD on my primary Xbox it was the first thing I noticed, it was about twice as slow ie. 30 seconds rather 15 seconds. I was only using a 160GB 5400 rpm one at that time too and had at most 25 Xbox games installed. I'm now using a 320GB 7200rpm SATA HDD and around 30 Xbox games and that is only very slightly slower.

I'd imagine a 2TB with considerably more than that would get progressively slower. 

There is also the issue about what you actually have on the HDD.  Menu items and particularly large numbers of  icons or other stuff that loads at boot can extend the time too. This was one of the reasons I dramatically reduced the size of the icons I was using at that time: they're now all 256x256 and file size I try to keep them <50KB, usually considerably less."

I think your right, it must be the drive size and adapter combo, I did actually categorize the my games by Genre thinking it may help so the main menu doesn't have that many items on it and I don't have any icons. 

I have the same model Hard drive in my 1.6 using a X3 chip and a chinese Sata to IDE board and the boot time is a tad under 30 seconds

I seem to recall that unleash needs to check the hdd each boot looking to load the name of each game and app in to memory or some sort of list you could try a different dashboard and see if hat changes it.

also try a different 80 way IDE cable

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 3 weeks later...