OGXbox.com

Questions About Premodded XBox

DanielL99

Hi there,
I'm new to the og XBox world
I bought a XBox half year ago and took it apart.
I found out that it has an "Aladdin 2" modchip and as far as I understand is also TSOP modded.
It's a NTSC XBox v1.0.

My questions for you are:
Do I really need the modchip?
As far as I understand the v1.0 has a big TSOP Chip, which can be splitted into banks, if I really need different bioses.
So does this modchip anything different/special?
And why do I need different Bioses?
I just want to use this Xbox as (region free) Gaming console and maybe for XBMC.
And is there a cheap (and easy) way to get digital output?
I only got a VGA adapter with this XBox and it doesn't really work with my TV.XBox.thumb.jpg.ed445010ff7319e0968e34b593e1a7e7.jpg

ModChipWireing.thumb.jpg.517985c1020f5ce7dc409dc49264d3f1.jpg

Edited by DanielL99
Added Pictures

It definitely could have been TSOPed as the R7D3 connection is clearly bridged but the R7R4 point, on the back of the board, obviously, can not be seen.

So very feasible ^ that explanation.

If that is the case then yes you need the modchip.

Yes, v1.0 has a 1MB TSOP but if that was messed up its now inaccessible. This thread explains a lot and some options that may still be available.

Aladdin 2 Modchip: can't find any particular info about it but although old I'd think it does not do much more than allow you to power on the Xbox using the original BIOS or the modchip:-

Off – Tap the power button and the Xbox starts as normal with the original BIOS.
On – Press and hold power button for 1 second and the Aladdin is activated.

But that does mean you can test if it was a TSOP problem that led to the chip being fitted. If you try to boot it by tapping the power button an error or refusal to boot again points to a bad TSOP flash being the likely culprit.

You do not need different BIOS for the functionality you want. You could run BIOSChecker and see if that identifies the BIOS but if it is working and does what you want then IMHO there is no good reason to re-flash the chip.

No digital output possible without an adapter.

No VGA practical unless your TV or monitor supports Component via a VGA adapter. Some do, most don't. There is a direct VGA output Xbox mod that can be done but it requires both significant cable modding and re-flashing with a BIOS that supports VGA.

Edited by HDShadow

Thanks, for you responses
R7R4 on the back of the board is also bridged.
The XBox boots the same way when pressing the power button or when holding it for at least one second or by pressing the eject button or holding it for at least one second.
I've also started BiosChecker on every run and it also showed always the same.
As far as I understand it always boots into the ModChip.
I've attached to output from BiosChecker

I found a wiring diagram for this particular ModChip (Aladdin2 V 1.0-1.1 Diagram), but BT is soldered to a different location (On my XBox to ground).
So, in my understanding, BT is the reason why the XBox always boots from the modchip and if I desolder BT the XBox should boot from the TSOP.
Can I damage the XBox when trying to boot from the TSOP?

Bios.jpg

Hello,

the chips is always on because there is a wire between BT and the board ground. If you want to try onboard bios, just unsolder wire from bt or from ground. If I does not boot anymore, it would confirm that the onboard bios might be dead.

bye

Edited by Benur75
Modif

Thank you for your confirmation.

I removed the wire and after the boot animation it shows "Your Xbox requires service. Please call Xbox customer support." without an error code.

Is it possible that files are missing on the hard disk or because unleashX and xbmc are installed?

It occurred to me that if the HDD is unlocked then you might very well get an error screen when trying to boot from the original BIOS if it was still MS retail.

But with the evidence of the TSOP points being bridged it is more likely KaosEngineer's  suggestion that the TSOP flash was messed up is correct.

BIOSChecker is not much help in identifying any modified BIOS. It could have been modified in the most minor way, just a change of colour or a logo removed and the MD5 hash would be completely different and not included in the BIOSchecker INI. If there is no BIOS configuration file on any of your drives then that might suggest it is not a BIOS that needs such a file and can exclude some BIOS but it won't tell you what it is.

The presence of a BIOS config file though is no indication of anything as installers like HeXEn may install such files even if they're not actually being used. The original user could have flashed any BIOS and just left old stuff behind too. 

That BIOS checker program is as useful as a ashtray on the dirt bike.

You could try the 3 wire  trick and see if the onboard bios can be recovered.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thank you guys for all your help.

First I've resoldered BT to ground and after that, I've found Clean C and E Files in this forum and loaded them to the C and E Partition on my Xbox and locked the hard drive with HeXEn. Later on I wired the modchip like on the diagram I showed you yesterday and now by just taping the power button or pressing the eject button the Xbox boots into the retail dashboard and when I press and hold the power button for some seconds the Xbox boots into UnleashedX.

• Like 1