OGXbox.com

Help With a V1.6 Motherboard and Executer 2.6 Ce

DobaMuffin

Hello,

I am writing this today to see about getting some help with my 1.6 Xbox and the Xeceuter 2.6 CE installed in it. I recently did this motherboard mod involving a resistor to extend the life of the board and the board works fine after the install.

This is also where I managed to find an issue. With the mod chip enabled, both banks load up their respective bioses, but when I disable the mod chip using the front panel switch, the console Frags after 3 tries. When I disconnect the LFrame wire from the mod chip, the console boots up like normal to the stock dash using the stock bios. Before the mod though, disabling the mod chip using the front panel switch worked liked normal.

So now I am a point where I made a modification to extend the life of the console, but lost some functionality in my mod chip at the same time. I am wondering if anybody knows what would cause the issue I described and if anybody else has ever run into similar issues. Though I know most don't tend to mod 1.6 consoles if the can avoid it.

I'm also curious if anybody else happens to have an Xbox motherboard that is warped around the CPU and GPU area. By warped, I mean that I can see a curve in the motherboard around that area.

Thanks,

DobaMuffin

The D0 wire  from the main board should be going to the  D0 on the mod chip.

If your worried about it you can cut the Lframe trace but then you can not use the MS BIOS but I can't see why you would use the stock BIOS anyway.

I have a version 1.6 with a X3cp that I have had for over 10 years and had no problems with the D0 connected to the modchip.

I have not seen a warped main board are you sure that something is not between the board and case but if it's been like that for years straightening it now may cause a failure .

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

What is "worked like normal?"

I have a v1.6 + Xecuter 2.6CE and normal with the chip off is - nothing. The HDD is unlocked so I get an Error 7.

The original retail HDD I used for years even after chipping was locked and with the chip off it would boot to stock MS dash. That is just as you would expect with what is essentially a retail state console underneath the chip installation. Are you sure it is not an issue with the switch array itself?

The BIOS I'm using in both banks are virtually the same modified but basically EvoX M8+ 1.6 137+ F&G. What BIOS is being used in this case?

5 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

What is "worked like normal?"

I have a v1.6 + Xecuter 2.6CE and normal with the chip off is - nothing. The HDD is unlocked so I get an Error 7.

The original retail HDD I used for years even after chipping was locked and with the chip off it would boot to stock MS dash. That is just as you would expect with what is essentially a retail state console underneath the chip installation. Are you sure it is not an issue with the switch array itself?

The BIOS I'm using in both banks are virtually the same modified but basically EvoX M8+ 1.6 137+ F&G. What BIOS is being used in this case?

By worked like normal, I mean before the mod to the LFrame trace, setting the switch to disable the modchip allowed me to boot up the console stock as if no modchip was installed. After the little hardware mod though where I cut LFrame and then soldered a resistor to reconnect LFrame properly, the board won't boot up with the modchip switch set to disabled. Instead it Frags. But if I remove the D0 wire that's connected to LFrame on the motherboard, the console boots stock properly. 

The bioses I'm using on the mod chip are xecuter 2 5035, and m8+ 1.6. those work properly though. 

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The D0 wire  from the main board should be going to the  D0 on the mod chip.

If your worried about it you can cut the Lframe trace but then you can not use the MS BIOS but I can't see why you would use the stock BIOS anyway.

I have a version 1.6 with a X3cp that I have had for over 10 years and had no problems with the D0 connected to the modchip.

I have not seen a warped main board are you sure that something is not between the board and case but if it's been like that for years straightening it now may cause a failure .

Cheers

SS Dave

The D0 wire on the modchip is connected to LFrame on the main board since it's installed in a 1.6.

The LFrame trace has been cut, but then I also installed a resistor to repair the LFrame trace so that the mcpx doesn't push too much current and fry itself eventually.

As for the warped main board, it was like that when I got it. So I have no clue what happened to it.

Like I said my version has been working for over 10 years without cutting the Lframe trace.

You answered your own question undo the mod you did.

After the little hardware mod though where I cut LFrame and then soldered a resistor to reconnect LFrame properly, the board won't boot up with the modchip switch set to disabled. Instead it Frags.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Are you sure the D0 wire from the modchip is connected to the correct side of the cut/resistor you added to repair the LFRAME# trace cut?

I am sure. I connected it to the Xyclops side of the resistor just like in the diagram. I even tried putting it on either side of the smd pull up resistor that was already on the main board. That made  no difference.

Thanks,

DobaMuffin

electric_diagram_cut_line.png

The mod in theory makes sense but looking at the diagram it looks like it's a waste of time as approx 1/3 of the current been drawn on the Lframe by the mod chip is from the pull up resistor any way.

And how many Xbox's have you heard about dying from the Lframe been pulled to ground by the mod chip.

Also if it was such a big problem more people would be doing the same mod since that document was updated in 2005 you're probably the 3rd person I have heard trying to do the mod.

I my opinion restore the Xbox to the way it was before you modded the Lframe.

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The mod in theory makes sense but looking at the diagram it looks like it's a waste of time as approx 1/3 of the current been drawn on the Lframe by the mod chip is from the pull up resistor any way.

And how many Xbox's have you heard about dying from the Lframe been pulled to ground by the mod chip.

Also if it was such a big problem more people would be doing the same mod since that document was updated in 2005 you're probably the 3rd person I have heard trying to do the mod.

I my opinion restore the Xbox to the way it was before you modded the Lframe.

SS Dave

Personally I haven't heard of any that have failed from that, but I'm still new to Xbox modding. I may see about removing the resistor in the future, but since the console still works and the mod chip works to boot up custom bioses, it isn't a top priority.

I thank you and everyone else who commented on this thread for the help I've been given.

Sincerely,

DobaMuffin